SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Which version of TSWSM are you looking forward to?
Version 1 156 20.77%
Version 2 79 10.52%
Version 3 29 3.86%
Version 4 77 10.25%
All of them 488 64.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 751. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-09, 03:31 PM   #226
polyfiller
Weps

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0

Ivan - understand about the visual damage. I need to learn how to do the visual damage stuff .... all I've worked on thus far is functional damage stuff.

Am currently focussing on getting gun turrets to stop working when the damage system says they are destroyed (I mean the main armament .... from what I can figure, any AI controlled turrets are fine ... but you can't see them in damage screen because they are AI only items).
polyfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 03:43 PM   #227
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28

In my newest ships I've made all main guns into upgradepacks so that you can see them all in the dmg screen.
The only problem is that they all use the same damage zone id so they probably can't be damaged apart from each other.
DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 04:17 PM   #228
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427
Ivan, i might have a line on that Montana-Class to make it playable
EDIT: we are allowed to DL the Montana, as well as the Alabama
?what? From who?

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 04:22 PM   #229
polyfiller
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFish
In my newest ships I've made all main guns into upgradepacks so that you can see them all in the dmg screen.
The only problem is that they all use the same damage zone id so they probably can't be damaged apart from each other.
Darkfish - I am communicating with Observer over at Submarine Sim Central and believe I have a working solution to this based on the way RFB has implemented damage zones for the deck guns (there were none in stock). I really intend to wait for the next version of S3D before doing more on this - because the spheres / boxes need to be well placed. I have an alternate solution which results in damage showing up for each gun (seperately) but am not sure that this results in the gun ceasing to function once the damage screen says it's destroyed. Will be testing a fix to this tonight.

Also see my earlier comment - we need to agree how many engine of "batches" of engines we will configure for all ships .... the way engine damage is translated to loss of speed means we only have one level of configuration - i.e. if we want all ships to have four levels of redundancy e.g. 4 engines, then all ships will have to have 4 engines configured. Bit of pain, I know, but there is no way round this.
Old 01-25-09, 04:26 PM   #230
polyfiller
Weps

On a completely different tack, does anyone know whether sim.cfg or sensors.cfg control whether or not your deck watch pick up contacts i.e. warship spotted ? Reason I ask is one of my damage testing missions has windspeed set to 15ms and with the waves, the crew don't detect a bunch of cruisers at 6000 m.

Anyone know which file to mod (I think it's sensors.cfg) but anything I've tried does not make the crew spot the ships. I can manually target, but this really bugs me. Oh and the mission also has zero fog, medium clouds.

I guess we should also have a generic discussion about how far away we should be able to spot a target from a BB's spotting towers ? Ivan - have you played with any of this stuff yet for the campaign ?
Old 01-25-09, 06:19 PM   #231
nautilus42
Watch Officer

Downloads: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfiller
On a completely different tack, does anyone know whether sim.cfg or sensors.cfg control whether or not your deck watch pick up contacts i.e. warship spotted ? Reason I ask is one of my damage testing missions has windspeed set to 15ms and with the waves, the crew don't detect a bunch of cruisers at 6000 m.

Anyone know which file to mod (I think it's sensors.cfg) but anything I've tried does not make the crew spot the ships. I can manually target, but this really bugs me. Oh and the mission also has zero fog, medium clouds.

I guess we should also have a generic discussion about how far away we should be able to spot a target from a BB's spotting towers ? Ivan - have you played with any of this stuff yet for the campaign ?
Hi polyfiller,
What Mods you installed? What Subs or Ship you played? Maybe I know this problem but imust know your information.
I have had the same bug since the sensors.dat .sim, .zon, .dsd, from SH3 integrated in OpsMonsun. I.E. I`ve deleted the Visual_Nodes from the sensors.dat and the problem is gone. All new SH3 Uboats in OpsMonsun used some sensors from the SH3_sensors.dat.

regards
nautilus42
nautilus42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 10:40 PM   #232
ivank
The Old Man

Quote:

If I understand what your saying, that the crew does not spot ships in storms even if they are right next to you? Then yes I have met similar results, during my trials with my Hilfskreuzers(raiders) and AMC's I attacked a convoy in 15kt winds and heavy seas, and my crew did not spot a large tanker until it rammed me! This issue needs to fixed before a release of The Surface Warfare Super-Mod Version 1.

On other hand, I am currently patrol with the Fiji class CL off the southern tip of Australia, and I noticed that when damaged, I only get small, camp fire type, fires. I was even attacked by a Maya Class CA and was hit about 5 times. I received massive damage but only 2 small campfire size fires started. No smoke, and only small fires. In RL the fires on ships was much larger. I will post pictures of the fires I experienced and the fires that should be occuring. Does anyone know, if we can make the fires larger, and the smoke bigger, and darker?

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Old 01-26-09, 09:43 AM   #233
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivank
Does anyone know, if we can make the fires larger, and the smoke bigger, and darker?
It is possible. This could be done by editing the fire effects from Particles.dat.
But I'm not good in editing effects, I only say it can be done, not that I can do it.
Old 01-26-09, 05:21 PM   #234
polyfiller
Weps

A quicker fix to small fires for damage would be to look at the fire sizes allocated in zones.cfg for the ship being used - Ivan - mail be the package for the ship you are testing, inlcuding the zones.cfg and I'll take a quick look.

As for mods I'm running - only parts of EE5, plus my ships mod (which does include changes to sensors.cfg and sim.cfg) and a custom mission with 15 M/s wind but now other bad condiations (no fog, cloud rain etc).
Old 01-26-09, 06:08 PM   #235
DarkFish
Sea Lord

It would be quicker yeah. But then you'd have one fire effect less to choose from (if I understand you correctly and the small fire effect will not be used in the ships anymore), so I'd go for the slower but better solution of enlarging the effects itself.
Old 01-27-09, 06:47 PM   #236
polyfiller
Weps

Erm - not sure what you mean by removing an effect - following is the damage zone for a deck gun;

[BBForeDG]
Multiplier=1.0
Flotability=0
HitPoints=200
Destructible=No
Armor Level=25
Critic Flotation=0.01
Critical=No
Effect1=#Splinter_explosion, 75
Effect2=#Fire_small, 90
Effect3=#Fire_big, 20
FloodingTime=60
CargoType=None

As you can see - different effects applied, including both small fires, large fire & explosion. If we're looking for something more spectacular, then a new effect would need to be generated (and I don't know how to do that).
Old 01-28-09, 03:02 PM   #237
ivank
The Old Man

Quote:
Erm - not sure what you mean by removing an effect - following is the damage zone for a deck gun;

[BBForeDG]
Multiplier=1.0
Flotability=0
HitPoints=200
Destructible=No
Armor Level=25
Critic Flotation=0.01
Critical=No
Effect1=#Splinter_explosion, 75
Effect2=#Fire_small, 90
Effect3=#Fire_big, 20
FloodingTime=60
CargoType=None

As you can see - different effects applied, including both small fires, large fire & explosion. If we're looking for something more spectacular, then a new effect would need to be generated (and I don't know how to do that).
Cant we just change the values to 50, 10, 40.

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Old 01-28-09, 04:33 PM   #238
DarkFish
Sea Lord

If those values are the probability for that effect to appear it'd work yes. But then the small fire effect would hardly appear anymore, all fires would be big fires. For some variation it'd be better to upscale the small fire effect.
But then again, it would be much easier and quicker to do something like you suggest.
Old 01-28-09, 04:37 PM   #239
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

I seem to recall from the old days that the damage templates are scaled to the damage value of the weapon, not the type. So if you make a big damage make a small hole, this will alter torpedo damage decals as well.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 10:53 PM   #240
mickey117
Gunner

Downloads: 85
yamato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427
Me personally, among ship nuts, regard pretty much anything IJN to be sexy...Kongo class especially...maybe that means i have an affinity for the brit ships too?:rotfl:
i personally like the yamato bb more than any other ship it looks sleak and i like how when you look at the bridge from this angle it looks slanted

PART OF SUPER SURFACE WARFARE MOD
> http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=144946

{FIGHT TO THE LAST SHELL}
mickey117 is offline   Reply With Quote