SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-13, 01:41 PM   #2236
ygirouard
Seaman

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
Quite an interesting discussion in the last few threads/posts..
A small remark and my two cents

@ygirouard

If you need veeery detailed instructions, open the folder \LanguagePacks\Russian\Help.. but only a caveat, it is in Russian.. because I wrote it for people who do not understand a single word in English..
I don't need veeery detailed instructions. I just need instructions, period! There are none anywhere that were written for the latest version of the app. I don't need screenshots, and don't need to be told to click OK when there's an OK button on a dialog... come on guys. Here even the basic is not explained anywhere other than three-liners from TDW that don't really cover everything.

It's okay now though, I got enough info and learned enough by trial and error and reading other posts to manage it myself... Thanks
ygirouard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 01:43 PM   #2237
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygirouard View Post
I don't need veeery detailed instructions. I just need instructions, period! There are none anywhere that were written for the latest version of the app. I don't need screenshots, and don't need to be told to click OK when there's an OK button on a dialog... come on guys. Here even the basic is not explained anywhere other than three-liners from TDW that don't really cover everything.

It's okay now though, I got enough info and learned enough by trial and error and reading other posts to manage it myself... Thanks
take a look here

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...06#post2080306
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 01:50 PM   #2238
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
I don't need veeery detailed instructions. I just need instructions, period! There are none anywhere that were written for the latest version of the app. I don't need screenshots, and don't need to be told to click OK when there's an OK button on a dialog... come on guys. Here even the basic is not explained anywhere other than three-liners from TDW that don't really cover everything...
Don't you? Then I was mistaken.. and this app doesn't need instructions for the latest or previous version..
As to me, it's enough intuitive and user friendly..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 02:23 PM   #2239
ygirouard
Seaman

Quote:
Don't you? Then I was mistaken.. and this app doesn't need instructions for the latest or previous version..
As to me, it's enough intuitive and user friendly..
The application itself (on its own) may be intuitive to some degree, but the whole procedure to properly apply TDW's patches using this app, including installing proper dependent mods, and how to load the patched files as mod, how to backup files before any modification (you'd think it's obvious, but if you don't see this option before you apply a patch, it's too late) is not, and this is what needs to be documented to at least a basic level.

But whatever... you guys clearly don't see the point, so I'm done arguing. If you're too lazy to add a basic help or at least write a short readme explaining the basics, and maybe give a few hints or notes about potential issues with the app, then there's not much more I can do to convince you otherwise.
Old 07-06-13, 02:26 PM   #2240
ygirouard
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
This doesn't cover half of what we should do before properly applying TDW's patches... Doesn't cover how to find which files to backup and how to backup them, doesn't cover the procedure to properly create a mod from the patched files, and doesn't cover potential issues there could be with the tool (such as an access violation error that can pop-up when you apply changes too fast on the same file, or that you need to expand each patch in case there's something special to install for it to work)
Old 07-06-13, 02:29 PM   #2241
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

Quote:
This doesn't cover half of what we should do before properly applying TDW's patches... Doesn't cover how to find which files to backup and how to backup them, doesn't cover the procedure to properly create a mod from the patched files, and doesn't cover potential issues there could be with the tool (such as an access violation error that can pop-up when you apply changes too fast on the same file, or that you need to expand each patch in case there's something special to install for it to work)
no offence m8 what is so hard to do a backup to SH5.exe, SHCollisions.act, SHSim.act ?
copy them in a save place and u have a backup of them
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 02:32 PM   #2242
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Yep, we are too lazy.. and don't forget, you don't buy anything here..
We are too lazy to explain one more time things which were explained on this forum dozens times.. just read here and there.. and you will finally find what you are looking for..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
Old 07-06-13, 02:35 PM   #2243
ygirouard
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
no offence m8 what is so hard to do a backup to SH5.exe, SHCollisions.act, SHSim.act ?
copy them in a save place and u have a backup of them
It's easy, but there were more files to backup than that and I had to find out while I was patching them (before I clicked Yes):

sh5.exe
SHCollisions.act
SHSim.act
SHSound.act
SH_NClient.dll

The last 2 were not mentioned in any how-to I found, but they are patched by the 1.0.122 version.
Old 07-06-13, 02:39 PM   #2244
ygirouard
Seaman

Quote:
just read here and there.. and you will finally find what you are looking for..
That's what I ended up doing, been here for hours searching for answers and trying to see what I was doing wrong the first time. But it's painful, long and tedious, when a simple and short 10 lines readme.txt could have done it if you had spent the time.

If you're so tired of repeating yourselves, then put the instructions in a central place and keep it up-to-date, and make it so the answers are not spread over multiple posts buried deep in 150+ pages threads.

Never thought that you were repeating yourself because the instructions were not always easy to find to begin with or complete enough? Think about it... I'm clearly not the only one who struggled with it based on what you're saying...
Old 07-06-13, 02:46 PM   #2245
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
...I'm clearly not the only one who struggled with it based on what you're saying...
What I can say.. you are really only one and first who can't read and search this forum.. sorry..

Old 07-06-13, 02:52 PM   #2246
Tonci87
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 116

The app is pretty self explanatory....
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 11:21 PM   #2247
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

gap's idea is finished and appears to be working as coded

Now I'm working on airbases spawning aircraft when they have a contact and units that are damaged by some form of ammunition that have no contact radioing for help and nearby units coming in to investigate (including airbases).
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 12:06 AM   #2248
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Now I'm working on airbases spawning aircraft when they have a contact and units that are damaged by some form of ammunition that have no contact radioing for help and nearby units coming in to investigate (including airbases).
According to war time line aircover would be best
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 12:24 AM   #2249
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
According to war time line aircover would be best
Going by what's defined in it's cfg file:

[AirGroup 1]
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19410601
Squadron1Class=FHurricaneMkI
Squadron1No=48
Squadron2Class=TBBeaufort
Squadron2No=24
Squadron3Class=FBBeaufighter
Squadron3No=24
Squadron4Class=LBSAnson
Squadron4No=12
Squadron5Class=SSunderland
Squadron5No=6

I see a potential problem I was looking over all the land based unit's sensors and none of them have anything for visual, radar, or radar warning This could be a problem...
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 01:25 AM   #2250
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
gap's idea is finished and appears to be working as coded

Since we are at it, have you checked the relation between engine RPMs and their maximum theoretical speed in game?

The knots / RPM gradient calculated by me should be about 0.0357-0.0375 for surface propulsion (both diesel and electric) and 0.0262-0.0280 for submerged propulsion. Most silent propulsion @ ca. 90 RPM.

See the following posts by me for further detail and info sources:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=1672
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=1677
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=1683

Quote:
Quote:
I see a potential problem I was looking over all the land based unit's sensors and none of them have anything for visual, radar, or radar warning This could be a problem...
Do you need airbases to have sensors attached? Did I get you correctly? If so, can't you simply assign the needed sensors to them?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote