Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-28-23, 02:47 AM   #2176
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
The Biden Administration Is Quietly Shifting Its Strategy in Ukraine.
Quote:
With U.S. and European aid to Ukraine now in serious jeopardy, the Biden administration and European officials are quietly shifting their focus from supporting Ukraine’s goal of total victory over Russia to improving its position in an eventual negotiation to end the war, according to a Biden administration official and a European diplomat based in Washington. Such a negotiation would likely mean giving up parts of Ukraine to Russia.
Quote:
Over the past year — with U.S. military support flagging fast on Capitol Hill and Zelenskyy’s once-vaunted counteroffensive failing since it was launched in June — Biden has shifted from promising the U.S. would back Ukraine for “as long as it takes,” to saying the U.S. will provide support “as long as we can” and contending that Ukraine has won “an enormous victory already. Putin has failed.”

Some analysts believe that is code for: Get ready to declare a partial victory and find a way to at least a truce or ceasefire with Moscow, one that would leave Ukraine partially divided.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...raine-00133211

It has been obvious for a few months a shift in policy was coming, but I did not think it would be this fast, although quietly announcing it over the holidays when no one is paying attention to the war is probably as good a time as any.

Hopefully, Biden will handle this better than the Afghanistan withdrawal.
Old 12-28-23, 03:38 AM   #2177
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

^ I predicted this already last year's summer to autumn, 2022. So I am not really surprised.

Anyhow, Newsweek has this:
Ukraine F-16 Speculation Mounts as Russia Loses 8 Fighter Jets in 3 Weeks

https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-f16...a-su34-1855709

Russia will adapt somehow, sooner or later.

Also, the last share of US military aid for the forseeable future has been handed over. Europe will be unable to compensate for that, especially the hardware deliveries by the US cannot be compensated. If no new US help comes in, then in the medium to long term perspective its game over. Of course most politicians - not all... - will fire damning phrases at Russia for having won the war, and everybody wilkl reiterate that this statzus is just "temporary".

Temporary like Crimea since 2014. Temporary like Korean ceasefire. Temporary like several generations, if not forever.
Old 12-28-23, 06:05 AM   #2178
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-23, 06:15 AM   #2179
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-28-23, 06:35 AM   #2180
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I want some of that LSD he's taking cause he's TRIPPING!
Quote:
So your a sick SOB that enjoys the fact Russia attacks, and kills, people trying to get out of town.
Bet you killed little animals as a kid for fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
He should go back to Russia from his Paris exile and suck Putin's di.k, his mouth is full of excrement anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I would die of shame if I knew that my fellow countrymen was killing civilians in a war or if it was soldiers from a country I support.

I would say to him find a forum where they support Russia, 'cause here in this thread we support Ukraine.

Markus
Quote:
Pretty convinced "Classy" went out the window when one cheers killing civilians.

@Exocet25fr

Whilst I endeavour to remain fair minded and level handed in my moderation I feel it is now time you take into consideration the comments above (and there are further comments made previously).

Whilst I fully support and uphold the right of anyone to have a differing opinion I have felt the need to look back at your posting history and it begs the question as to whether you are consistently and deliberately flowing against the weight of majority opinion around these parts or perhaps even trolling members?

I will lock this thread until about 1600 GMT to give you an opportunity to read this post and hopefully reply to me in a PM

Be advised, no decision has been arrived at regarding this matter but you should realise if not already which way the weight of opinion lies in the forums community.

Regards
Jimbuna (Senior Moderator)

Old 12-28-23, 12:07 PM   #2181
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

No response at time of posting...thread reopened.

Old 12-28-23, 12:44 PM   #2182
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

re Skybird and Jim, maybe I should also (try to) excuse myself, I just read something about Putin and one post by Ex was the straw that broke the camel's (ahem mine) back. Never let yourself dragged down to certain levels .. I then decided not to delete it, but will if you want to.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-23, 12:45 PM   #2183
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
[...]in the war, and everybody will reiterate that this status is just "temporary". [...]
Temporary like Crimea since 2014. Temporary like Korean ceasefire. Temporary like several generations, if not forever.
If the west chooses a "temporary" solution Russia/Putin will invade the Baltic states and Poland in less than a decade, when Russia's economy can make it.
Russia/Putin need a thorough punch in the face. Nothing else will stop him, surely not ethics, moral or treaties.

Old 12-28-23, 12:50 PM   #2184
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
re Skybird and Jim, maybe I should also (try to) excuse myself, I just read something about Putin and one post by Ex was the straw that broke the camel's (ahem mine) back. Never let yourself dragged down to certain levels .. I then decided not to delete it, but will if you want to.
All is good Kai and if nothing else, said party can no longer deny they are aware of peoples feelings.

For my own part I will maintain a watchful stance.

Old 12-28-23, 12:50 PM   #2185
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-28-23, 01:04 PM   #2186
Dargo
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 21

Putin Promised Xi That Russia Will Fight ‘5-Year War’ in Ukraine

President Vladimir Putin promised Chinese leader Xi Jinping that his invasion of Ukraine would last five years, the Japanese newspaper Nikkei reported Thursday, citing multiple anonymous sources familiar with Russian-Chinese diplomatic manoeuvring. Putin’s remark apparently came during Xi’s visit to Moscow in March 2023, when Russia was already one year and one month into the war and had suffered a series of embarrassing setbacks. Nikkei interpreted Putin’s words that Russia “will fight for [at least] five years” as an assurance that Moscow would emerge victorious in the end and a possible warning for Xi not to reverse China’s pro-Russia policy.

It also said that Putin’s comments to Xi call into question recent reports that the Russian leader is quietly signalling readiness for ceasefire talks, saying Putin may be creating an “illusion” of seeking peace to use to his advantage in the 2024 presidential vote. Neither the Kremlin nor Beijing have commented on Nikkei’s report, which could not be independently verified. According to the publication, Xi may have not fully trusted Putin’s 2023 pledge because he had previously “misjudged” the Russian leader’s intentions ahead of the Feb. 24, 2022, invasion of Ukraine.

On Feb. 4, 2022, the opening day of the Beijing Winter Olympics attended by Putin, the leaders declared a “no-limits” partnership. Nikkei reported China likely concluded that the Russian troops amassing at the Ukrainian border would only invade eastern Ukraine, where Kyiv had been at war with pro-Moscow separatists since 2014, rather than the full-scale invasion it launched 20 days later. Following Xi’s March 2023 visit to Putin, China dispatched a so-called “peace mission” to Europe, including Ukraine and Russia, in what Nikkei described as a “subtle shift in Xi’s pro-Russia stance.” https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2023/...-nikkei-a83588
https://asia.nikkei.com/Editor-s-Pic...ars-in-Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-23, 03:04 PM   #2187
Catfish

Then we know that China will wage war against Taiwan as long as the US are distracted, meaning within the next five years?

Old 12-28-23, 03:18 PM   #2188
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Then we know that China will wage war against Taiwan as long as the US are distracted, meaning within the next five years?
I think USA will change their interest from Europe to Middle east and far east.
Europe have to take care of its own backyard so to say

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-23, 03:40 PM   #2189
Catfish

Completely off topic here:
"Putin Ally Found Dead After Falling From Third Floor Window: Reports"

"Vladimir Egorov, an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, was found dead on Wednesday, according to Russian state media."

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...#storylink=cpy
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...283590933.html

How original

Old 12-28-23, 06:47 PM   #2190
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

It's true is only a fraction we get to know by watching video clip on YT.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote