SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-22-12, 05:42 AM   #2176
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
welcome to the club.
Thanks!
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 06:52 AM   #2177
renthewog
Helmsman

Downloads: 213

guys just tried the download links and they are dead...get re-directed to http status 500...file not found
renthewog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 07:03 AM   #2178
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by renthewog View Post
guys just tried the download links and they are dead...get re-directed to http status 500...file not found

Just tried all the links - all work
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 07:51 AM   #2179
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin40 View Post
do you mean that there are hundreds of ships in OHII?

or that is there a specific mod for that?
In the Horizons II you can see only a part of them..
All the others are there - MTNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Steel View Post
Please, don't add this one to OHII.
Doesn't seem to fit in a WWII storyline

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 09:09 AM   #2180
renthewog
Helmsman

Downloads: 213

Quote:

Just tried all the links - all work
Oh okay, I'll have another try then..I kept refreshing page and trying bit would never work. Ill see how I go
renthewog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 09:37 AM   #2181
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Please, don't add this one to OHII.
Doesn't seem to fit in a WWII storyline
What about a playable Argon Colossus?

gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 10:20 AM   #2182
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Don't tell me you play that too Gap. I love it... awesome space game to say the least. Now if I could only use the billion credits I have towards a used refurbished Type IX or XXI Uboat I'd be happy. LOL

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 11:29 AM   #2183
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Don't tell me you play that too Gap.
yessss sir, I do

Quote:
I love it... awesome space game to say the least.
superb space simulation, indeed, and one of my favourite games despite its flawed physics...
I've heard that ddrgn could be working on an 'X3 real starship specification mod' though

Quote:
Now if I could only use the billion credits I have towards a used refurbished Type IX or XXI Uboat I'd be happy. LOL
Old 10-22-12, 11:39 AM   #2184
Tonci87
Captain

Downloads: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
yessss sir, I do

superb space simulation, indeed, and one of my favourite games despite its flawed physics...
I've heard that ddrgn could be working on an 'X3 real starship specification mod' though

What do you mean by flawed Physics? I´m asking because I plan to get this game...
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 12:10 PM   #2185
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Oooh yes, nice ship Gap - I may need to dig out my X3 disc
Old 10-22-12, 01:05 PM   #2186
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
What do you mean by flawed Physics? I´m asking because I plan to get this game...
simply that they are not realistic: ships act as if they were affected by friction (wich should be nearly 0 in empty space) and though being simulated (you will notice that the handlig becomes increasingly hard when switching from fighters and scouts to corvettes and freighters, to the huge capital ships), inertia is not as good as you would expect from such a fine game. I suppose devs had to do a compromise in order to allow for dogfighting and for making the game experience rewarding even for average players.

On the other hand, the game got stunning graphics (despite the fact that it is running decently on average systems), a gripping plot that you are not forced to follow (but I suggest you to do it, if you are a newcomer), a nearly limitless universe to explore, a multitude of ships and space stations that you can buy, build, visit, steal, destroy, upgrade, customize, etc, many different wares and raw materials that you can extract, produce, steal, destroy,commerce, etc, many races and factions that you can interact with (and your attitude toward them will determine their attitude toward you), many things to do: you are totally free to build your personal empire by playing as a taxi driver, a miner, a mercenary, a pirate, a smuggler, a merchant, or a warlord, with no limits between each role.

At the beginning you will be forced to do all of this by yourself or you will be hired by others, but little by little you in turn will be able to hire captains, soldiers, station managers, etc, that under your directions will work for you. What else? The IA is generally good and last but not least, the community is very friendly, devs are costantly inproving/expanding the game (for free) and giving their unbiased support to looot of third party mods that change every aspect of the game and add countless new features to the game. Should you get tired of the stock game, there are some megamods changing it radically. Icing on the cake: the price is very competitive. A few months ago I bought on steam the whole saga, from X Beyond the Frontiers to X3 Albion Prelude, for only 10 euros. And said incidentally...NO DRM!!! What do you want more?

If you are into deep planning games, with a touch of space simulation, a taste of adventure and some action in them, and you are ready to a step learning curve and many sleepless hours I definitely suggest you any of the titles from X3 Reunion on
Old 10-22-12, 01:25 PM   #2187
vlad29
XO

Downloads: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
I've played it more than a year and threw my X3 disc far away after ALL my gameprogress went to starhell when my harddisc crashed. My nerves are not too strong enough to start creating X3 Universe over again.
vlad29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 02:03 PM   #2188
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad29 View Post
I've played it more than a year and threw my X3 disc far away after ALL my gameprogress went to starhell when my harddisc crashed. My nerves are not too strong enough to start creating X3 Universe over again.
Well, Vlad

though being sure that Egosoft guys didn't think about this use of their product, the least that can be said is that by making a flying UFO disc out of X3's DVD you stayed at least on topic of sci-fi
Old 10-22-12, 02:17 PM   #2189
Tonci87
Captain

Downloads: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
simply that they are not realistic: ships act as if they were affected by friction (wich should be nearly 0 in empty space) and though being simulated (you will notice that the handlig becomes increasingly hard when switching from fighters and scouts to corvettes and freighters, to the huge capital ships), inertia is not as good as you would expect from such a fine game. I suppose devs had to do a compromise in order to allow for dogfighting and for making the game experience rewarding even for average players.

On the other hand, the game got stunning graphics (despite the fact that it is running decently on average systems), a gripping plot that you are not forced to follow (but I suggest you to do it, if you are a newcomer), a nearly limitless universe to explore, a multitude of ships and space stations that you can buy, build, visit, steal, destroy, upgrade, customize, etc, many different wares and raw materials that you can extract, produce, steal, destroy,commerce, etc, many races and factions that you can interact with (and your attitude toward them will determine their attitude toward you), many things to do: you are totally free to build your personal empire by playing as a taxi driver, a miner, a mercenary, a pirate, a smuggler, a merchant, or a warlord, with no limits between each role.

At the beginning you will be forced to do all of this by yourself or you will be hired by others, but little by little you in turn will be able to hire captains, soldiers, station managers, etc, that under your directions will work for you. What else? The IA is generally good and last but not least, the community is very friendly, devs are costantly inproving/expanding the game (for free) and giving their unbiased support to looot of third party mods that change every aspect of the game and add countless new features to the game. Should you get tired of the stock game, there are some megamods changing it radically. Icing on the cake: the price is very competitive. A few months ago I bought on steam the whole saga, from X Beyond the Frontiers to X3 Albion Prelude, for only 10 euros. And said incidentally...NO DRM!!! What do you want more?

If you are into deep planning games, with a touch of space simulation, a taste of adventure and some action in them, and you are ready to a step learning curve and many sleepless hours I definitely suggest you any of the titles from X3 Reunion on
How could I not get it after so much praise. I played X2 but I didn´t like it tha much. Weak Plot, everything (Space Stations Jump Gates etc.) was on "one level"
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-12, 04:35 PM   #2190
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
How could I not get it after so much praise. I played X2 but I didn´t like it tha much. Weak Plot, everything (Space Stations Jump Gates etc.) was on "one level"
I haven't ever played X2, but it is my understanding that X3 is a big improvement over the previous titles. Stations and gates are no longer on the same level, and if you don't know exactly their position, it can take long before you find them.

X3 Reunion's main plot, the only one I've played besides the one of XBF, isn't actually that challenging per se. Nevertheless, since every version of the game is the continuation of the previous titles (not to mention the many tales, novels and encyclopedias based on the X universe), you end feeling part of the story with its many ramifications, and you get more and more intrigued in it.

At least so it worked for me, but it can get a lot of time and patience before you start appreciating the depth of the saga of X, and the immersion it can generate in its fans

Tags
awesome, campaign, graf zeppelin, harbour, new bases, new ships, ohii