SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-23-10, 08:44 PM   #2116
kylesplanet
Commodore

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0

Well once again Bungo Pete has ended my career. I'm 0-6 against him and as far as I'm concerned, thats what the record will remain because I'm not going back in there.
From now on, if I get that mission, I'm sailing right passed and not thinking another thing about it.

My first match with him (a long time ago)I was using an external camera and the wonderful MK14 bounced off his side. All my other encounters with that jackass has been without the external cam and I don't think I've been close.

So long Bungo Pete. May a thousand B-29's rain bombs down on you. You sorry jackass.
Old 03-23-10, 08:48 PM   #2117
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

kylesplanet,

I modded the bastard, and even I wouldn't go there.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 08:58 PM   #2118
kylesplanet
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
kylesplanet,

I modded the bastard, and even I wouldn't go there.
Man he is ruthless. I fired two fish at him, of course they missed, and he made a beeline for me and covered me up in DC's. If you do manage to evade a couple of runs, he's relentless. They just keep coming.

Oh well, he's seen the last of this skipper.
Old 03-23-10, 09:46 PM   #2119
Quagmire
Watch Officer

Downloads: 52

While we are on the subject of career ending events how about those nasty minefields. There is nothing more depressing than coming out of 1024x TC to a demolished boat.

However.....

Is it realistic for a minefield to be in over 1000 ft of open ocean? That must be one heck of an anchor chain for each mine! I would expect the shallows to be heavily mined but this seems a little far fetched.

Or I could be wrong. Opinions anyone?

Mod list follows...
TriggerMaru_Overhaul_19
TMO_Aft_deckguns
TMO19_Patch_25012010
TMO19_interior3d_GATO_overhaul
TMO_Sample_Emblem
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 12:14 AM   #2120
Keelbuster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 43

Back to TMO + RSRD....getting used to things. Starting to LOVE SH4. Sunk a Kongo in the channel north of Timor, Feb/March 42.

P.S.

Kongo was one of 4 Kongos, part of a TF moving North east up the channel with an additional 4 (5?) carriers, 2 (3?) cruisers, and who knows how many destroyers. Biggest TF I've ever seen. Insane.
Old 03-24-10, 06:53 AM   #2121
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesplanet View Post
Well once again Bungo Pete has ended my career. I'm 0-6 against him and as far as I'm concerned, thats what the record will remain because I'm not going back in there.
From now on, if I get that mission, I'm sailing right passed and not thinking another thing about it.

My first match with him (a long time ago)I was using an external camera and the wonderful MK14 bounced off his side. All my other encounters with that jackass has been without the external cam and I don't think I've been close.

So long Bungo Pete. May a thousand B-29's rain bombs down on you. You sorry jackass.
Bungo Pete is easy. Wait for fowl weather with medium to heavy fog and do a night surfaced gun attack on him. Stay 1000+ yards away and aim for the spotlight.

-TheBeast

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 08:23 AM   #2122
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Default Thank you Ducimus

Sir I do want to give you a huge Bravo/Zulu for your excellent work in making SH4 a real great Sim. I am a former Sub Sailor (not Diesel Boats) but I have read about everything that is out about the Submarine War in the Pacific. You have captured that with TMO. I have one complaint with TMO, and that is with the awarding of medals. TMO is to hard but it does not affect the sim or my enjoyment in playing it.
I would like to recommend a truly great book about the sub war "We were Pirates" it is, in my opinion one of the best out. It is told from the view point of enlisted torpedo man who made 12 patrols on the Tambor. It is an honest read about the war and liberty.. Also, if you have not read Blair's book "Silent Victory" please do so. Ducimus portrays the problems faced by the Silent Service in TMO that is told in this book. Both of these books are available through USNI Books.

Thank you again Ducimus and enjoy your camping trip,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 09:04 AM   #2123
danurve
The Old Man

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 3

Quagmire; I would bet your boat was lost to planes. I quickly discovered in TMO 1.9 they are accurate, relentless, and can spot you unless your 160 down.
You can still cruise at Periscope depth but use your raised antenna and be ready to dive. You get a break at night. Didn't care for that whole parade at first, still not to crazy about how they are so accurate, but - if you dive to say, 100 feet and get a good camera view from up above, you can see how visible your sub realy is in clear water.
Old 03-24-10, 09:27 AM   #2124
danurve
The Old Man

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
I think i'll tone the AI hydrophones down a spit next update.

SH4 will be getting my full attention starting next week. Hopefully starting sunday. Im going camping tommrrow, and won't be back tell saturday.

It occurs to me that one of the beautiful things about SH4, is its two sim's in one. I'd really like to flesh out the uboat side, but i question if i have the energy. I don't think i do, because it's all i can do to finish whats currently on my plate.
Appriciate you pointing out where to edit that, so if you tone the AI down we can tone it back up! Q, - is every Tojo pilot that gets a shot at me with DC's elite?
Yes we can play the U-boat side, and I agree IV's potential for that is there. But since there seems to be little call for a VIIB-C/41 in the Pacific I for one am glad for what TMO does for the fleet boats.

Have fun camping, I'm into that myself for days at a time. We're talking being somewhat secluded, in the woods, no undiciplined crowd or obnoxious barking dogs to annoy me. After all, the silence makes it easier to hold the crosshair steady.
Old 03-24-10, 10:23 AM   #2125
Quagmire
Watch Officer

Downloads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by danurve View Post
Quagmire; I would bet your boat was lost to planes. I quickly discovered in TMO 1.9 they are accurate, relentless, and can spot you unless your 160 down.
You can still cruise at Periscope depth but use your raised antenna and be ready to dive. You get a break at night. Didn't care for that whole parade at first, still not to crazy about how they are so accurate, but - if you dive to say, 100 feet and get a good camera view from up above, you can see how visible your sub realy is in clear water.
I thought that at first but to be sure I took a look at the Jap_Minefields.mis file with the SHIV Mission Editor you will see that there is a HUGE minefield extending way out into deep water. Besides I am well aware of the TMO planes and I always cruise below 200ft if I can.

I was just wondering if Ducimus meant them to be there or if this is something goofy left over from stock.

It just seems crazy to have anchored mines in over 1000ft of water. I have been trying to find some evidence that this was done but I can't. If someone has WWII evidence that the Japanese were able to lay hundreds of miles of mines in very deep water I live with it but for now I'm not sure.

That being said TMO is awesome and I salute the hard work it took to get us this far. BTW, good times on the camping trip Ducimus. Have a safe trip.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 01:35 PM   #2126
rex_umbrarum
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks to Ducimus for all his hard work. I'm coming back to SH4 after some years in the wilderness and it's great to see this mod still active.

Sadly, I'm having the same issue as Sub Sailor above. The loading screen gets to about 75%, at which point I get a modal warning message:
Quote:
There is a new (not implemented) page: <Page ChooseLoadSave> !
I'm only running TMO 1.9 and the patch, using GME. My install of SH4 v1.5 comes via Steam and I'm on Win7. I did a manual install of DX9, just to be doubly certain that wasn't the issue.

Any tips?

PS: If I install the mods using GME in Run as Administrator, the loading bar gets to 100% before giving me the warning. Such a tease!
Old 03-25-10, 02:52 PM   #2127
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Duc, if you ever come back and wonder if others have the issue. I saw one complain that he got 6 of the same special abil. guys in a row. I keep getting 4 in a row, just got 4 more meds..I didn't have this issue in 1.7, is it a simple fix....I also get a lot of them. Seems the balance was better in 1.7
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 05:30 PM   #2128
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_umbrarum View Post
Thanks to Ducimus for all his hard work. I'm coming back to SH4 after some years in the wilderness and it's great to see this mod still active.

Sadly, I'm having the same issue as Sub Sailor above. The loading screen gets to about 75%, at which point I get a modal warning message:
I'm only running TMO 1.9 and the patch, using GME. My install of SH4 v1.5 comes via Steam and I'm on Win7. I did a manual install of DX9, just to be doubly certain that wasn't the issue.

Any tips?

PS: If I install the mods using GME in Run as Administrator, the loading bar gets to 100% before giving me the warning. Such a tease!
Did you install SHIV to your "Program Files" folder? If so, there are some funcky permissions issues there. You may want to reinstall to another location, e.g. C:\Games\Ubisoft\SHIV

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 08:28 AM   #2129
ShadowWolf Kell
Medic

Downloads: 123

Perhaps due to SH5, I decided to take a break from the ATO for awhile.

So... I turned to TMO. My confidence in the ruthlessness of the IJN has been returned. Getting spotted by Jap DDs in light fog, at night from 18,000 yards... yeah, that was interesting!

One thing that took me a bit to get used to (though I like) is having to plan ahead a bit when it comes to diving as well as turning while underwater. USN boats definitely aren't VIIBs and TMO pulls this off rather well.

I can't begin to express how much improved it is over 1.6 and how much fun I've been having. I didn't realize how much the ATO lacks in comparison. Less pitch and rolling. No damage modelling on the sub at all. Less interesting explosions and secondaries. There are a lot of subtle things that now I really wished OM had. While not essential, it's what really helps polish something up.

My only problem thus far is I'm still with my initial Sargo boat from Dec. 1941 and I'm now in Feb of 1943. The problem is that I've had no CT refit. I get offered a Gato upgrade every other patrol, but as yet have not been given a refit for my boat. My tonnage per patrol varies a bit, but it averages between 40-50k tons.

In comparison, I don't recall ever having this issue in 1.6 with a Tambor. Do I need to head to Pearl for the refit, or perhaps not do so well on a patrol because the Gato upgrade is interfering with the refit?
ShadowWolf Kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 04:15 PM   #2130
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Correction:

I will not be including the new Narwhal into TMO 2.0.

There has been some confusion on my part, which was clarified for me the other day. The files were entrusted to me for the sole purpose of making a TMO compatible version for the donation download. They were not given to me for the purpose of including it in the mod, therego i do not have permission to adapt them. Since it is not my work, and the files were given to me with that caveat, i must abide.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote