Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-22, 01:15 PM   #2086
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Since the russian military invasion met some resistance, Putin has now changed his strategy to explicitly target civilians.
This the first time almost all is being filmed and recorded, so no excuse or desinformation possible.

By all "sympathy" for the russian cause to invade and destroy a country for some potentate's ego, and Kissinger's view. Really, Russia.

Putin will go for the baltic anyway. The west should not wait anymore.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 03-11-22, 01:18 PM   #2087
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Since the russian military invasion met some resistance, Putin has now changed his strategy to explicitly target civilians.
This the first time almost all is being filmed and recorded, so no excuse or desinformation possible.

By all "sympathy" for the russian cause to invade and destroy a country for some potentate's ego, and Kissinger's view. Really, Russia.

Putin will go for the baltic anyway. The west should not wait anymore.
Read somewhere that his next target was Moldova.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online  
Old 03-11-22, 01:22 PM   #2088
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Western officials have confirmed that a third Russian major general has been killed in Ukraine, adding that he was from Russia's eastern military district.

Officials didn't name the general, but earlier Ukraine's military said Maj Gen Andrei Kolesnikov, commander of the 29th army of Russia's eastern district, had been killed.

Analysts have previously said that the presence of high-ranking military figures on or near the battlefield could be a sign that Russia's operations are not going to plan.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 03-11-22, 01:24 PM   #2089
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Russia makes claims - without evidence - of US biological weapons activities in Ukraine at a meeting of the UN Security Council.

UN disarmament chief Izumi Nakamitsu says the UN is not aware of any biological weapons programme in Ukraine.

The US has called such claims "laughable", and says they are a "false flag" to justify Russia's potential use of similar weapons against Ukraine.

Ukraine has suggested Belarus could join Russia's invasion in the coming hours.

US President Joe Biden has announced more restrictions on trade with Russia, including a ban on imports of Russian vodka and diamonds.

Russia has expanded its offensive in Ukraine, attacking the cities of Lutsk, Ivano-Frankivsk and Dnipro.

Meanwhile, the Kremlin has restricted access to Instagram after its parent company changed its rules to allow violent sentiment towards Russian forces.

Old 03-11-22, 01:31 PM   #2090
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

One thing is to fight a military super power another thing is to fight two armies Russia and Belarus.

Of course there's this story that Belarus already has troops in Ukraine.

Markus

mapuc is online  
Old 03-11-22, 01:35 PM   #2091
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-11-22, 01:41 PM   #2092
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

If there's one thing this broadcast war have shown us, is how vulnerable the air asset is. Here I'm thinking surface to air.

If I was working with helicopters and/or fighter jets I would start to develop better defence against these SAM's

Markus

mapuc is online  
Old 03-11-22, 01:43 PM   #2093
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-11-22, 04:25 PM   #2094
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Putin lost 3 generals, just fired 8, put 2 of his own highest FSB officers under arrest, sends 20 new generals ones to Ukraine.

Russia soldiers give up their tanks and have loyalty problems seeing Putin's lies about "fascist" Ukraina "attacking" Russia.

Instagram has been shut down all over Russia.

Lavrov still publicly spouts lies about "Russia not attacking Ukraine", while (unfortunately) no one punches Putin's lapdog in the face in front of running cameras.

Obvously all is going perfectly according to plan for Putin.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 03-11-22 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-11-22, 04:33 PM   #2095
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

How to check if war zone videos are real

Journalist shows how to work with fact-checking content from Ukraine.

You've probably seen plenty of them. Videos of air strikes on cities or Russian tanks on fire.

From the war in Ukraine, they are currently pouring out on social media sites like Twitter, Instagram, Reddit and the messaging service Telegram.

But what to believe? Isn't it all fake news?

That's the answer journalists and fact-checkers or the whole world are trying to find every day. Because it is actually possible to verify many of the videos spread by the warring parties.

One of those working every day to verify many of the videos spread on social media is Thomas Jorsal, a journalist at DR News' foreign desk.

- I mainly sit on the social media Twitter and Telegram and sometimes on Reddit and follow what is being shared a lot, he says.

- And if there's something that makes an impression, I try to verify it and check if it's real, and that's a relatively big job. Because we have some steps that we go through before we trust that it actually happened in this city in eastern Ukraine," he says.

Looking for red kiosk on Google
He gives an example. This week, a video went viral allegedly showing a column of Russian tanks falling into a Ukrainian ambush in the town of Brovary outside Kyiv. The first thing he did was find the town on Google Maps.

- Then I can see these long straight roads, which you can also see in the video. Then I have an idea that we might have hit it about right, he says.

Then he goes to Google Street View and moves down the street in street perspective, looking for buildings and other features that also appear in the video.

Among other things, he finds a large green fence, a red kiosk and a yellow house with a distinctive gable.

- So we have an idea that this actually happened in this town, which is being written about on social media, he says.

But the location on a map, known as geolocation, alone is not enough to stamp the video as genuine. Thomas Jorsal asks a series of questions that can also help determine the video's credibility.

Is there a time and date on it? Is it shared by other sources trusted by the editors? Are there other videos showing the same incident from different angles? Does the content match other reports on the incident?

Difficult to get into combat zones
The answers to those questions help determine whether an editor at the newsroom eventually approves the video for use on the web or programmes like War Day.

- It can often take 3-4 hours to confirm the authenticity of a single video, says Thomas Jorsal.

But in the midst of an information war where both sides are quick to shout 'fake news', it's more important than ever to be able to establish that some content is more true than others.

This is felt by DR correspondent Michael S. Lund, who is in Ukraine.

- When you're in a place yourself, it's usually the easiest thing to do, he says.

- When I've been out at bombings, it's often relatively easy to see whether it's a bomb that's exploded on the ground or whether it's a missile that's landed.

- The problem is all the places we don't have access to. For example, Mariupol, which is surrounded. Kharkiv is also difficult to get to, the suburbs of Kyiv and so on," he says.

But it's a difficult task to sort lies from truth. For the war in Ukraine is very much a war played out on social media.

- After all, everyone has a phone with a camera on it. Soldiers, politicians and ordinary citizens, and they record an enormous amount that they share on social media and that we can access moments after it's been made," says Thomas Jorsal.

30 people working to document
But he's not alone in his work. In the context of the war in Ukraine, several media organisations have set out to document the acts of war.

The organisation Bellingcat, which has previously documented war crimes in Syria, currently has 30 employees reviewing and verifying content from the war. Five more are on the way.

GOOD ADVICE: YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF
Here are some questions you can ask yourself when considering the credibility of a video.

Who shared the video? If the video has been shared by major media outlets such as the BBC or others, it is more likely to have been fact-checked.

Is it geolocated? Several organizations post verified of videos on a map. These include the Live Universal Awareness Map and the Russia-Ukraine Monitor Map from Bellingcat, among others.

When was the video recorded? Is there a date and time that can time the video?

Are there videos from other angles or other sources that confirm the incident?

Are there any clips in the video? Be aware that footage from Ukraine may have been edited together with archive material, among other things.

Markus

mapuc is online  
Old 03-11-22, 05:30 PM   #2096
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Hope he's wrong-Hope Ukraine will fix this in the end
(Have this feeling he may be right-Russia will win in the end)

Quote:
Battle for Mykolaiv: 'We are winning this fight, but not this war'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60711659

Markus

mapuc is online  
Old 03-11-22, 06:03 PM   #2097
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

ATGMs. MANPADs. NVGs. Medical supplies.

Plenty and plenty, and then plenty more.
Old 03-11-22, 06:09 PM   #2098
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
ATGMs. MANPADs. NVGs. Medical supplies.

Plenty and plenty, and then plenty more.
Then there is some of our politicians like these American senators

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...aine-rcna19643

who want us to send offensive weapon to Ukraine

Markus

mapuc is online  
Old 03-11-22, 06:12 PM   #2099
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Western officials have confirmed that a third Russian major general has been killed in Ukraine, adding that he was from Russia's eastern military district.

Officials didn't name the general, but earlier Ukraine's military said Maj Gen Andrei Kolesnikov, commander of the 29th army of Russia's eastern district, had been killed.

Analysts have previously said that the presence of high-ranking military figures on or near the battlefield could be a sign that Russia's operations are not going to plan.

The best laid military plans work great on paper until you encounter the enemy / opposition. Then, you can toss it out with yesterday's news. The Russians are finding this out, much to their chagrin.
Old 03-11-22, 06:24 PM   #2100
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

UK sending Startreak Manpads to Ukraine

https://twitter.com/akoz33/status/1502345774591471617

For those who can't read what it says in this twitter comment

"Ukraine is about to get British Startreak Manpads. Much more powerful (although a bit heavier) than Stingers. Range up to 7 km. Max speed, over Mach 3. Tremendous weapons."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starstreak

Markus

mapuc is online  
Closed Thread