0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-10, 08:09 PM   #196
Snestorm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Oh! Just for the record. My internet connection is outstanding, however . . .
SH3 + Vista + Live Internet Connection = Crash (In my case).

My impression of the people calling the shots at Ubisoft is Poor Management.
(This has nothing to do with the devs.)

Old 01-26-10, 08:10 PM   #197
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Downloads: 134
Uploads: 0
Default Just like Verizon

Phone rings with new text message from Verizon......." we have uploaded your new pictures to your new facebook account we created for you. Would you like to view them now. Thanks, customer service........
Old 01-26-10, 08:13 PM   #198
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
i completely dissagree with you on that.

oh, and by the way i'll be playing sh3 and sh4 for the next 15 years and wont miss out on anything as far as i am concerned.

for years i have laughed at any game when i see i have to be connected to the internet to play it and see it as no different then those console only games.

if a game company makes a game i cant play on my PC (IMO online only means i cant play it) then i go buy some other game to play, be it new or old.

game companies can try to force their will on everyone against their wishes and for a while they get away with it but sooner or later enough people say no and stop buying it (literally) and give their money to games that are customer friendly.

sooner or later customers voices and opinions will matter again.

you cant sell a product if your customers wont buy it.

I agree 100% and also I might add: to SHV.

I really wanted SHV even reading among all the pros and cons since the first mention of SHV but this so called step into the future is for people like Rockin Robbins ( I've always thought the best of you RR--And I still do-- but your posts in this thread stunk to high heaven, but that's your opinion and I'm sure a few others ) but I don't want any part of 24/7 online for playing games. I believe offline is the only way to fly.

I turn off the Internet 100% ( switch off HS Internet connection via IT Icon on tasktray ) remove about 85% processes running in the background ( Especially Anti-Virus ) and turn my AMD 9500 Phenom quad processor, GF 9600 GT OC 500mb video card and 3 1/2 Gigs loose on SHIV ( pretty much modded ). About 90% options running on SHIV and averaging 160-250 fps throughout the game ( have dropped down to 65 fps in huge battle with all kinds fire and smoke. ).

Am too old to cut the mustard anymore and in the near future I won't be above ground anyway so why torture myself with some fools whom want you to do your gaming THEIR way. NO thanks.

Here I thought it was a huge jump into the future when Ford introduced the 1949 ford which was a 100% body change from the 1948 Ford.

Diesels, OMG they are taking over. And then came DRM.

Well folks THATS ALL SHE WROTE, she sent your saddle home.

I just canceled my preorder, now I'm goning back to the rat race at the SHIV forum.

Sayonara and rotsa ruck.
Old 01-26-10, 08:17 PM   #199
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
What about shops with security cameras following you? Do you go into those shops?
Bad analogy Mr Stevens.
Once you get out the shop with your legitimate purchase thats it.
The security cameras don't follow you, and the shop owner doesn't under any cirmustance tell you how, when and if you can use the object you just purchased.
Old 01-26-10, 08:18 PM   #200
supposedtobeworking
XO

Downloads: 59

Yep, count me among those who were going to buy SH5 at full price when it came out but now will not support this nonsense. I'm not going to buy a game that I may not be able to play due to internet connection failure or otherwise. I will wait until Ubisoft removes the online requirement before buying any of their products requiring this, even if it means forever.
Old 01-26-10, 08:20 PM   #201
Adriatico
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

And they even dare to serve us this c**p - WITHOUT ANY DEMO !

It's a crying shame that GWX4 was recalled for this mockery. We could have a great simulation for a yers...

Spokesman Jimbuna... did you finish your popcorn ?

Last edited by Adriatico; 01-27-10 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 08:22 PM   #202
badkarma
Sailor man

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Let's say you run a grocery store. You experience significant shoplifting, so you tell your employees to try to stroll the shelves more, and you install a video surveillance system. Is this "treating customers like ENEMIES", too? Is it "oppression"? Is it "greed"? Nope, it's your right as a store owner to protect your business from theft. Plain and simple.
To extend the analogy, if I turn up to said shop in normal opening hours and find it closed at random times, or occasionally I spend 2 hours picking everything I want to buy and when I reach the checkout they throw me out saying "sorry, our tills are down", all because of their new security.. I go shop somewhere else.
Worse than that for UBI Grocery Stores Inc, I need food to live.. I don't NEED what they're selling.

Quote:
UK Community Coordinator

Posted Thu January 22 2009 07:56 Thu January 22 2009 07:56 There will be server downtime between 19:00 and 21:00 GMT. This will effect most of our titles online. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This is the worst part:
Get home from a tough day at work, wife's out for the evening, want to sit down and relax with some sub simming? Tough luck!
Even though you want to play a game you payed for on your own with no multiplayer, because their server is FUBAR you can't.
Old 01-26-10, 08:22 PM   #203
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Default THIS IS WHAT "DRM" can do for you...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ships-R-Us View Post
Phone rings with new text message from Verizon......." we have uploaded your new pictures to your new facebook account we created for you. Would you like to view them now. Thanks, customer service........
Corporations can take "DRM" to the max if they desire.......
Old 01-26-10, 08:32 PM   #204
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
Bad analogy Mr Stevens.
Once you get out the shop with your legitimate purchase thats it.
The security cameras don't follow you, and the shop owner doesn't under any cirmustance tell you how, when and if you can use the object you just purchased.

You're mixed up, my analogy said nothing about going outside the shop. You added that.
Old 01-26-10, 08:40 PM   #205
moose1am
Frogman

Downloads: 0

I can't even play SH4 on my old computer. Won't be buying SH5 unless I get a new faster computer. And I would rather have to type in a serial number or insert the CD into the drive to play than have to depend on an internet connection.

Just recently (last three days) my home page was offline due to Two Hard Drives that crashed at the same time. The hard drives crashing destroyed the data base of my old ISP. So every time I tried to get online with IE8 it would stall because this ISP was my home page. Internet is not always dependable.

Moose1am

My avatar resembles the moderator as they are the ones that control the avatar on my page.
Old 01-26-10, 08:41 PM   #206
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Default Ubisoft is exempt from 'us law'

With DRM foreign corporations can do what they please with the data flowing from your computer into their hands, and with the other data that they TAKE along with it, and are Excempt from US laws.......

I NEED TO SLOW DOWN........I LOVE MY NEW AVATAR.
Old 01-26-10, 08:42 PM   #207
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
UK Community Coordinator

Posted Thu January 22 2009 07:56 Thu January 22 2009 07:56 There will be server downtime between 19:00 and 21:00 GMT. This will effect most of our titles online. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
This is the worst part:
Get home from a tough day at work, wife's out for the evening, want to sit down and relax with some sub simming? Tough luck!
Even though you want to play a game you payed for on your own with no multiplayer, because their server is FUBAR you can't.

and from 7 to 9 pm is often the only time when most people have their free "down time" to game and relax and in your example its very likely for many people they would have just eliminated your ability to play the game for that day

Old 01-26-10, 08:44 PM   #208
Gilbou
Chief

Downloads: 152

The DRM is not here to stop piracy. It is here to kill games resales.

Check this :
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...ther_with_.php

Near the end :

"Publishers aren't stupid. They know that DRM doesn't work against piracy," he explains. "What they're trying to do is stop people from going to GameStop to buy $50 games for $35, none of which goes into the publishers' pockets. If DRM permits only a few installs, that minimizes the number of times a game can be resold."

Ubisoft does not allow resale of games authenticated online through this system (you will not be allowed to resale your game ; in some US states, it is illegal to prevent first-buyer resale but you will need to go to court for that, and most people don't have the money to spend over for).

Ubisoft does not allow you to sale a game with the Ubisoft account either.

The next step will be game renting : you will pay to keep active your online account.
It will store all the authentication, no game resale will be allowed nor possible.
Stop paying : you cannot play any registered game, anywhere.

Now, you might think this is not a problem. So let's apply this to books you currently use.

Books, like games, are not really your property. You do own the book, the material piece. But the contents of the book,
the intellectual creation of its author, remains the author property (the copyright) and he lives on sales of the book.
You can offer the book, resale the book to anyone, friends and strangers.

I would be innaceptable to have to register to be able to buy a book, and read it.
Having to call someone on the phone to tell them "hello it's me. I want to read 1984 again, can I ?"
knowing that if the phone doesn't answer, you are not allowed to read the book anymore or again.
And forget about giving for free the book, or lending it, or even reselling it. No.

This is exactly the same thing with games. They want you to pay when you buy.
Make sure no one can lend (account is personnal - sharing is forbidden) nor sale (account is
personnal and all games and saves linked to it - selling the account is forbidden, so while you
can sell the box with the DVD you cannot sell the account where the game is registered...).

And some of you think there's no problem here ?

They are going much farther than the common copyright law allows. They want to kill game
resales.

People using pirated copies won't be affected by DRM. So DRM effectivness against piracy is
nil. They know it. They say that's why they put DRM but they are lying.

The lies must stop.

Last edited by Gilbou; 01-26-10 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 08:51 PM   #209
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

This looks so much like the Rise of Flight forum before release. Now hardly anyone talks about the DRM, just the game. Thousands happily play it and if it was not a business success then Ubi would not be following it (not that they are directly mimicking neoqb, but you can bet they would know if it was a failure).

Sky isn't falling people, it just means you will have to use the internet connection you already obviously have, to play. Trust me that Ubi is not doing this in a clever scheme to get their hands on your juicy Visa info with the $5k limit... and you can also trust me that Ubi will not be going out of business while you have any interest in playing SHV still.

The only people negatively effected are those with no net, or those looking to steal the game. I'm sorry if you have no internet and live in the boonies, but cutting edge PC gaming is not something you should be doing, fair or not. Just like you should not be buying a Ferrari to drive on them dirt roads.
Old 01-26-10, 08:54 PM   #210
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

What people need to do is contact Ubi and tell them that you have canceled your Pre-order and tell them why.

Or tell them why you are not deciding not to buy their game.

That is the only way Ubi will learn. They have to understand that they are losing customers specifically due to this.

I would start with Yves Guillemot and work your way down this list

http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/index.ph...7c4aab91e57304

If you are displeased with Ubi, don't just post on some game forum, let Ubi know how THEIR decisions are affecting YOUR decisions.