SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-17-09, 10:16 PM   #196
Officerpuppy
Engineer

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

The first person prespective is deffintely something new and pretty awesome. I wonder how many subs will have fully moddled interiors though.

Given that you'll be with the same crew for months at a time, I'd love to see the men be given real personalities and people you'll come to grow close with and mourn when they die. As opposed to a crew who will say the same five or six things when you look at them and when they die they just get dragged to some corner while everyone else plays cards next to them as if nothing happend.

I can't wait to see how this game develops!

And many thanks to the handy subsim email system! Otherwise I might of never known stopped and by this part of the forum
Officerpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 10:16 PM   #197
prowler3
XO

Downloads: 77

SH3 and GWX3.0 both have their moments of "stuttering", for me, in port, as it is...and I'm not flying an old system. I will have to wait and see the "proposed" system specs before I get TOO excited...and add a bunch to that as it's usually minimum! Will it be Windows7? Will it be 64bit...one would imagine. Many questions yet but...I am "all ears" for more news.

ASUS Rampage Extreme x48
Intel C2Q 9650 3.0ghz
4gb OCZ RAM
BFG GTX260, 896mb
(C:720, S:1480, M:1220, mhz)
SoundMAX X-fi
ASUS VW266H lcd flat panel
prowler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 10:16 PM   #198
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Unbeliveable Incredible , I am very very happy ,
Old 08-17-09, 10:22 PM   #199
Reaves
The Old Man

Downloads: 4

Great news about viewing all of the sub. Hopefully some interesting things to do while traveling to a destination.

I wonder what type of interaction with the crew this will include.
Old 08-17-09, 10:25 PM   #200
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Regarding multiplay: it would be cool to have "join on the fly" coop multiplay.

The host player controls time compression—which is available.

The joining player can either control an AI boat in a pack, OR he could play an officer on the host player's sub.

Imagine you are skipper, and the plotter is another player. Or you are below, and another player has the watch on deck, etc.

The multiplayer paradigm deserves a shift...
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 10:29 PM   #201
Joe S
XO

Downloads: 28

All of you U-boat fans who cant wait for this to come out, take a deep breath and relax. I too am a U-boat fan and would like to see an improved u-boat sim. However, for all the eye candy and fanfare that we have seen with the latest sub sims, each has had its glaring weaknesses, and to date, no one has put together a subsim that actually built on all the good things from prior sims. For example, in the stock SHIV, you cant even get the range at current speed like you can in SHIII. (I think you can in ver 1.5 but I dont have 1.5) You cant write on the map in SHIII or IV like you could in SHII. Its like each design team refuses to do anythign that wasnt their idea and wants to wow the crowd with eye candy at the expense of gameplay. The gameplay in Sub Battle Simulator was WAY better than AOD,and SHI through 4 and all the rest, even though sound effects were non-existent and graphics were downright crude. Then there are the bugs , and endless patches, if you are lucky enough to get patches. Not to mention the countless delays. Your tongue will be hanging out in April waiting for word as to the release, then in June comes the announcement that it will be out in the fourth quarter, then at Christmas time you find out it wont be out till 2 quarter of 2011, and on and on and on until it finally does come out and you hope it actually does half what it is advertized to do. Then you find out it doesnt work too well on your system so Off you go to the computer store to upgrade and the next thing you know, $2,000 later, for some reason it still doesnt like to work on YOUR computer.

So take it from someone who has been though this many times before. Take a deep breath, relax, follow the progress of the project, and wait until it comes out and a bunch of people have tried and find out if its any good. Then wait about 60 days and get it for half price. By then the "Gold' or "commander" edition will be out and available on e-bay for $19.95 with all the patches and upgrades that should have been in it when it was released at $50 or whatever they will try to get for it. In the meantime, make do with what you have and sink as many ships as you can and have fun. dont waste your time in anticipation of something that might not be as good as what you already have. Joe S
Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 10:46 PM   #202
scrag
Medic

Downloads: 6
Default Great News

Okay now lose the cheesy voice overs and get a real U-Boat Alarm. (I know it is a ways from release yet - at least they are doing something in a positive direction.
Old 08-17-09, 11:01 PM   #203
Kaptan Tommy
Planesman

Downloads: 0

I'm thrilled to see a new sub-sim, especially a German sim (since I've never gone beyond SH3), but I'm a bit hesitant, just like many others of you. I can't wait to see it, and I'm NOT going to be the first on my block...

Kaptan Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 11:19 PM   #204
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Anybody got a guess on the price of this thing ?

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 11:37 PM   #205
yllekm
Mate

Downloads: 18

AWESOME!!!

Now someone please tell me we will get sub tenders with this version so that we can rearm/refuel at sea (albeit "milchcows" for German U-Boats - see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Type_XIV_submarine).
yllekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 11:49 PM   #206
Agiel7
Gunner

Downloads: 16

Can anyone imagine the GWX 4 team letting off a collective Homer Simpson-style "Doh!" after this announcement.

Actually, given the team's pedigree, it would have been a cool idea if the Ubisoft Romania team signed on the GWX guys onto this project.
Agiel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 12:01 AM   #207
HMCS
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 186

Here's hoping that Rudeltaktik will be simulated. Among other things.

We can only hope that realism will win over the impetus toward arcade-style action. And here's hoping that it won't be buggy.

Hoping.

Mods Loaded:TMO 2.2, RSRDC, MaxOptics, Strategic Map Symbols, Stop The Shouting
OR:
RFB, RSRDC, Maxoptics, SCAF, Strategic Map Symbols and the sanity-saving "stop the shouting".
HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 12:21 AM   #208
cappy70
Ensign

Downloads: 5
Default Oh yeah....

Been playing SH3 GWX 3.0 now for awhile ( and SH4 Uboat missions after erasing:rotfl: my online bought copy of Uboatmissions by accident) and now SH5.......
Of course there will be patches,,of course there will be a glitch here and there,,BUT SH5 is on it's way, live.
Intel I7-4790K 4 Ghz
16 Gig Trident Claw DDR 3
2 x 760 GTX 2048 mem in SLI.
WD 1T Hd Ultra/WD Black 640
Corsair 850W PSU
cappy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 12:33 AM   #209
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 12:37 AM   #210
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
SH1: Pac
SH2: Lant
SH3: Lant
SH4: Pac/Lant
SH5: Lant

I'd say it's more whatever ubisoft fancies at the moment as to what the series will be. So far as the cold war, being a bit biased myself with the 688i mod, a cold warish era sub sim would be a welcome replacement for Sub Command I believe. But as far as this latest installment goes...time will tell, sooner or later time will tell...
SH4 was never Atlantic, it was only modded to be so.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote