SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-29-12, 08:51 PM   #1936
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
Mookie, funny you should mention Morrowind, as I just reloaded it today. With mods, it's really held up well over the years.
I'm using Morrowind Overhaul and a couple very minor assorted mods and it's brilliant.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 09:23 PM   #1937
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0

I really want it. But am not playing this at the moment.

I am stuck on Anno2070 (new expansion coming in days), and Just Cause 2 at the current moment.

I am waiting for Assassins Creed 3 to drop for PC, then by the time I am done with that I can buy Dawnguard for 5$ on a Steam sale.

Yes I am cheap. Or practical, whatever you call it.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 09:45 PM   #1938
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Unless they release some DLC that is massively more appealing to me than Dawnguard and Hearthfire, I'll probably wait until it all comes out on disk in a GOTY edition and then wait some more until the price comes down on that. The vampire thing doesn't interest me in the least and I can mod my player homes in the CK so... yeah.

And I just replaced my HDRadeon 5770s with a 6950, so the basic game just became a whole new experience for me. After all this time there are still locations I've never discovered and quests I've never done so I don't see myself longing for new content anytime soon.

(Plus I have GOTY editions of Morrowind and Oblivion sitting here that I've never even installed. So I think I'm good for a while. )
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 09:49 PM   #1939
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Unless they release some DLC that is massively more appealing to me than Dawnguard and Hearthfire, I'll probably wait until it all comes out on disk in a GOTY edition and then wait some more until the price comes down on that. The vampire thing doesn't interest me in the least and I can mod my player homes in the CK so... yeah.

And I just replaced my HDRadeon 5770s with a 6950, so the basic game just became a whole new experience for me. After all this time there are still locations I've never discovered and quests I've never done so I don't see myself longing for new content anytime soon.

(Plus I have GOTY editions of Morrowind and Oblivion sitting here that I've never even installed. So I think I'm good for a while. )
Grab yourself some Fallout too. I promise you'll love it, and it will be a good primer for F4 when it comes out.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 10:47 PM   #1940
soopaman2
Der Alte

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post

Get your hand off my graphics card!

All jokes aside, a great midranged piece. I am more than happy with mine, and had it for a good while now. I got the black edition version, and manually overclocked it. be careful, should you do the same. (it gets hot.)

I will suggest Oblivion first. Just better IMHO, I loved closing the gates, while fighting hordes of daedra.

(you will know what I mean by gates, just play it)

-Winston Churchill-

Old 09-30-12, 06:15 AM   #1941
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Some of the city mods for Skyrim look extremely nice. I have Falkreath, Whiterun and Riften improved, and it makes a big difference.

I am also happy that I finally managed to sort out a problem with my follower mods that I was not aware of, the switching clothes-thing. I had two mods running that were not mutually supportive, but mutually hindering. Since I removed the one, the other works perfect and no auto-switching anymore.

Lush Gras and Lush Trees also turn the world into something new.

With over 30 mods, since months I have an installation that has no issues, everything is compatible with each other.

I get visitors this later afternoon. I will use the opportunity and use their Paypal account for getting Dawnguard - he knows but does not care for some of the issues that I care for when it comes to online sales and Paypal and Visa and such, so I must not have a bad conscience to "abuse" him. Blame Takeda, shame on him, he made me now wanting this. I will see in how far DLC and mods create problems. I hope none. Anything I should know about Dawnguard, or Steam buying?
Old 09-30-12, 06:23 AM   #1942
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
I will suggest Oblivion first. Just better IMHO, I loved closing the gates, while fighting hordes of daedra.
I would recommend to skip the main campaign in Oblivion, it is pretty much repetitive. The main quests in all Bethesda role playing games always seem to be. But it is easy to forgive them, since the games do not at all depend on them.

How to avoid that all hellgates pop up in the landscapein Oblivion? In the early beginning you will be tasked with delivering a Talisman to somebody at a priory. Do not deliver it, and the story will not continue, the main quest is stopped and will not cause all those gates popping up everywhere, and you are free to do whatever you want and pick any other quest you stumble over. I hate it that the beautiful landscape gets messed up by these gate things. And doing one and the same subquest 12 or 16 times was not funny either. It was boring.

Beside this, Oblivion is still an excellent and beautiful game.
Old 09-30-12, 10:55 AM   #1943
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I get visitors this later afternoon. I will use the opportunity and use their Paypal account for getting Dawnguard - he knows but does not care for some of the issues that I care for when it comes to online sales and Paypal and Visa and such, so I must not have a bad conscience to "abuse" him. Blame Takeda, shame on him, he made me now wanting this. I will see in how far DLC and mods create problems. I hope none. Anything I should know about Dawnguard, or Steam buying?
You're on the right track about Dawnguard. It's more akin to KoTN or The Pitt than it is to Shivering Isles or Point Lookout. It's essentially 6 more hours of Skyrim, which to me was a good thing.

Do yourself a favor. Grab New Vegas and it's four DLCs (Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road) while your friend is there. I know that I've said it before, but you will not be sorry.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-12, 07:05 PM   #1944
Skybird
Soaring

Got DG. Spend one hour to run down the road in the SE until the gatwe, thinking that would be the link point to DG. To find out that it was the cave to the left of the road, and a good distance form the unpassable gate away, really took me some time.

Too late to play on, so saving and leaving after entering the castle. The download took an eternity - six hours. I hate Steam.
Old 10-02-12, 06:31 AM   #1945
Skybird
Soaring

And there I was, walking back and forth, back and forth, back and forth between the upper left corner and the lower right corner of the map.

I must say Dawnguard leaves me unimpressed. But more realistically looking armor, which makes a change to the mod for chainmail armour that I use. The vampires disappoint me, I am that old conservative type of guy who expects vampires to go after my throat instead of using energy-draining scifi-weapons to weaken my deflector shields.

I read that Serana cannot be married. Not even that reward in there, her German comments by chosen voice and content are cute. Or does she get killed in the end? I'll soon find out.

I am off for a big frontal assault on castle Valkinhor, which seems to be the end of the story, if they have not some more surprises implemented. The good thing which I liked in how it was presented, was the quest in the Forgotten Vally. That one was really good in visuals and mood.

I sign in on those people's list thinking that it is overpriced and overestimated.

And what should I do with crossbows? Those things have lesser punch than my ebony arrows at legendary and take an eternity to have the weapon reloaded. I prefer a good bow and good arrows any time. But then, I'm a level 39 player currently with smithing skill able to raise items to legendary level, and having +25% smithing magic. Maybe crossbows were meant for players at entrance levels. Using a vulcanglass sword (Mjoll's), same dagger, and an ebony bow, all at legendary +25%. Chainmail armour for me.

Not too long the addon seems to be either.

In school notes: Skyrim A+, Dawnguard C. To be honest, am getting slightly bored and look forward to the final battle hopefully ending the quest. That the questlines between main game and addon are intermoxed where it comes to the scroll and the academy, I found a bit annoying, since I already did not like that part in the main game.
Old 10-03-12, 01:09 AM   #1946
soopaman2
Der Alte

Dawnguard on sale for 30% off on Steam right now. (midweek madness sale)

All the other TES games are 50% off.

Not being a Bethesda shill, just informing.

-Winston Churchill-

Old 10-03-12, 08:01 AM   #1947
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
Dawnguard on sale for 30% off on Steam right now. (midweek madness sale)

All the other TES games are 50% off.

Not being a Bethesda shill, just informing.
Ooh maybe I'll get Dawnguard now. Been waiting. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Done. But it's going to have to wait until Fadril Githrano fulfills the Nerevarine prophecy. Morrowind never gets old. Ever.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 09:05 AM   #1948
Skybird
Soaring

I'm through. The end is a hectic boss-agony which for my taste does not suite well into the usual ways of battles in Skyrim. The gameplay was very repetitive indeed, travelling back and forth between the same two regions of the map several times - no good story telling there. A few new locations of which I only would mark the Forgotten Vally chapter as really stunning. If you like Skyrim, you do not do any damage by getting Dawnguard. On the other hand, you do not miss anything if you don't. And Serana is cute. Really cute. The German dub is wonderfully ironic at times. And the armor models look nice, together with bear or wolf coat, they look both impressive and realistic. Not that braggy impress-the-girls fairy tale kind of operetta parade that the standard armor sets have been designed for. I always have a fur and a chainmail set with me, switching them when needing better protection from steel, or from the cold. Will I play it again from the other side's POV? Don't think so, I did not got into the werewolf thing also. Those vampires just are not what I think vampires should be like.

I read about Hearthfire that you are limited to three places where you can build your house, which let my interest considerably drop immediately. I am stuck with the Riverside Lodge, which I am really in love with, and I think I would return to that home any time anyway, so... I think Hearthfire will do without me, then.

I got Mjoll the tavern dress for times we spend at home. Okay, code and console, but who cares. But that sexy dress does not match with her macho walking style (like a guy). I think I better give it to Aela, who does not walk like a giant.
Old 10-03-12, 05:01 PM   #1949
Skybird
Soaring

Some new ones.

Old 10-05-12, 03:46 AM   #1950
Kapitän Schneider
Engineer

Downloads: 34

Hearthfire now on Steam, £3.49 in the UK, everywhere else I haven't bothered to check.

The victorious strategist only seeks battle, after the victory has been won.

Also known as Brandenburger and Zirran elsewhere.
Kapitän Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote