SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-29-10, 01:40 PM   #1861
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152
Uploads: 0

"Tale of Two Subs" have several chapters regarding US Intelligence. In perticular I liked how Lockwood would come down on the pier when you were going out for war patrol, handing over a piece of paper with the words: "We think it would be a good idea if you could be on this location on this time..."

Sometimes the intercepts were accurate to the half hour...

"Tale of Two Subs", Jonathan J. McCullough
ISBN 0-446-17839-X

Highly recommended!
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 02:21 PM   #1862
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default lurker

I thought I asked a simple question. I cannot tell from the first post what the answer is. I will disable TMO 2.0 and see what happens if you decide or are unable to enlighten me. My guess is that implementing the RSRDC mod as a "stand alone" mod changes the missions to match the RSRDC campaigns, and that TMO2.0 changes the the mission objectives to TMO2.0, although the RSRDC campaigns remain part of the TMO2.0 mod. But I am not sure.

What I am aiming for is to be assigned missions that put me in harms way in the midst of the various campaigns created in RSRDC. It doesn't help me, for example, if I my mission in TMO2.0 sends my boat to Kiska when it would saved the day where it is really needed, i.e. Guadalcanal. Hopefully, by disabling TMO2.0, I would be sent to Guadalcanal in this example. I will find out soon enough.

I wonder what will happen to all of the TMO2.0 game graphics and changes?
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 05:10 PM   #1863
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

All the files loaded by the game to populate the world are called "missions" in the game. Those are the .mis files. You seem to be confusing this with the objectives assigned to the boat.

The PATROL OBJECTIVES are the missions assigned to a given submarine.

The fact that there is a Midway MISSION file simply means that the battle (and ship movements leading to it) exists in the game world. Nothing more.

You'd need a patrol objective in a campaign game that sends you out as a picket, etc. Operate out of PH, and try to be home from a patrol in early to mid May, 1942---perhaps you might get assigned a job like Nautilus got

Alternately, make a single mission that puts your boat in the right part of the ocean at the right date. Nothing else is needed since the RSRDC campaign loads all the campaign stuff for GameModes=SingleMission,SinglePatrol,Career in campaign.cfg.

So make a single mission with the boat where you want, and enjoy. BTW, part of the fun is that you rarely see stuff like that, so when you do, it's an exciting thing.

Sometimes less is more.

Last edited by tater; 07-29-10 at 05:45 PM.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 05:13 PM   #1864
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I thought I asked a simple question. I cannot tell from the first post what the answer is. I will disable TMO 2.0 and see what happens if you decide or are unable to enlighten me. My guess is that implementing the RSRDC mod as a "stand alone" mod changes the missions to match the RSRDC campaigns, and that TMO2.0 changes the the mission objectives to TMO2.0, although the RSRDC campaigns remain part of the TMO2.0 mod. But I am not sure.

What I am aiming for is to be assigned missions that put me in harms way in the midst of the various campaigns created in RSRDC. It doesn't help me, for example, if I my mission in TMO2.0 sends my boat to Kiska when it would saved the day where it is really needed, i.e. Guadalcanal. Hopefully, by disabling TMO2.0, I would be sent to Guadalcanal in this example. I will find out soon enough.

I wonder what will happen to all of the TMO2.0 game graphics and changes?

Ok

Listen "carefully"

"ALL" versions of RSRDC ( Stock - TMO - RFB ) have the "same" campaigns files, that includes "all" "same" mission objectives file. The one exception is the "New Construction" start dates that is in the TMO version to support these training missions.

So if you are assign to go to "Kiska" in TMO, you're going to be assigned to go "Kiska" in the RFB and Stock.

Again to repeat for possible correction:

The mission objectives that are generated by RSRDC is based on "historical" data for the subs based on home port assignment.
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 06:16 PM   #1865
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default got it

darn. I was hoping to shortcut my way into all the major battles. I guess I will have to create single mission as I was doing before the RSRDC f campaign files. The routes of the targets are LONG, so I will have to place my boat near where I will find them. More work, less fun! Thanks for your help.
Old 07-29-10, 06:44 PM   #1866
cptroyce
Gunner

Downloads: 298

RD- >> 'Knowing' where the Jap fleet was at any particular time during the war would not be historically accurate. The tactics were more like " 'we think' the Jap Fleet 'may be' in vicinity NW Midway Is. ETA June 1-10. " More accurate info just wasn't available. Even if it was, to broadcast an 'All Subs in vicinity<<

I enjoy simming as realistic as possible..for that reason I never read the flash alerts or anything else that a sub would probaly not get on Pacific patrol.

Royce
cptroyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 07:37 PM   #1867
tater
Navy Seal

Actually, a significant number of sinkings in the PTO were the result of "ULTRA" traffic (or MAGIC in the case of IJN units), or plain ole sigint work.
Old 07-29-10, 09:18 PM   #1868
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Occassionally I like

It would be nice to be able, on occasion, to find myself in the twilight zone, being the only sub between my and defeat. Unless I know where the ships are going to be it is tough to do.
Old 07-29-10, 10:33 PM   #1869
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptroyce View Post
I enjoy simming as realistic as possible..for that reason I never read the flash alerts or anything else that a sub would probaly not get on Pacific patrol.
Be advised that the "Flash" traffic that provide contact information in RSRDC is based on historical accurate Ultra traffic. I recommend that you pay attention to it in the future.
Old 07-29-10, 10:58 PM   #1870
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default don't want to be confused much more

PTO - Pacific Theater of Operations?
Flash Traffic - Is that the same thing as a radio messages?
Magic - I do not know what that could be.
Ultra - I do not know what that could be.
Old 07-29-10, 10:59 PM   #1871
cptroyce
Gunner

Downloads: 298

Lurker - Thanks for that info..I wasn't aware of the historical aspect of the flash reports in RSRDC...and I will!

Royce
cptroyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 11:56 PM   #1872
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
PTO - Pacific Theater of Operations?

Quote:
High Priority messages that needs to be read and process as fast as possible

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_%28cryptography%29

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra

Last edited by lurker_hlb3; 07-30-10 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-31-10, 04:44 PM   #1873
Major Johnson
Frogman

Downloads: 25

I installed RSRDC and the patch, in that order with JSGME, but it looks like I have the stock game loaded. Are there any differences in the start up screens?? Thanks.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX8350 8 Core 4.0 Ghz CPU
GeForce GTX 560 Ti PCIx Video Card
8 GB Corsair Vengence RAM
Rosewill 850W Power Supply
Major Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-10, 04:54 PM   #1874
tater
Navy Seal

There is a stock version, RFB, the TMO. I only see the other mods' start up screens, so my guess is that there is not one for stock.
Old 07-31-10, 04:55 PM   #1875
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Johnson View Post
I installed RSRDC and the patch, in that order with JSGME, but it looks like I have the stock game loaded. Are there any differences in the start up screens?? Thanks.

If your installing the stock version, the answer is no.