SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-10, 01:06 AM   #1846
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default peabody

I should have waited for your post, as I wasted several hours looking at the tutorial. My only BIG problem now is that the mission starts on 4/30/42 and then ends IMMEDIATELY. The other problem is that is has a title I did not give it, but I think I can fix that in the Mission Editor. Your previous post is a model of clarity. Thanks.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 02:17 AM   #1847
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I should have waited for your post, as I wasted several hours looking at the tutorial. My only BIG problem now is that the mission starts on 4/30/42 and then ends IMMEDIATELY. The other problem is that is has a title I did not give it, but I think I can fix that in the Mission Editor. Your previous post is a model of clarity. Thanks.
It probably ends immediately because there is no objective for you to complete. You said you copied it from a Campaign. Did you copy the .tsr file?

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 02:28 AM   #1848
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default peabody

the mission starts on 4/30 and then it says completed, but I have the option to return to the game. I have elected to do so, but I cannot find the Jap Navy. I have seen a few airplanes. I copied the campaign from RSRDC and on the Mission Editor I placed my boat right next to what I assumed was the enemy.

I am not sure if I listed an objective. I think I did, but I will check.
A tsr was created when the mission was validated.

Lurker has a pearl harbor mission in his campaign. I wounder what that is about?
Old 07-14-10, 03:05 AM   #1849
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default mission working

thanks for your help. putting an objective in the equation fixed my last issue. I still cannot find the Japs. Wierd? Lots of planes as usual in RSRDC.
Old 07-14-10, 04:26 AM   #1850
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Well earlier years, convoys are sparse in RSRD. You have to find the shipping lanes, best way is to open the ME and notice the heavy traffic areas, try to put yourself in those areas.I love RSRD, wish had more time to invest or would play RSRD but dont so run TMO with its traffic, of course I modified it a little.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 08:40 PM   #1851
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default peabody/lurker

I have been running the CoralSeaBattle campaign mission as a single mission. Peabody explained how to do it. I looked at a chart on the battle. Lurker, you attention to detail is pretty damn impressive.

So I got an idea. I noticed that you had a PearlHarbor.mis. I opened it up and looked at it. Then I created a single mission, the objective of which is to stop the attack! I placed an American Sub right at the last waypoint for the Jap fleet. I just started the mission and am awaiting the fleet to arrive. It is 0000 hours on 12/7/41.

By the way, do planes from the fleet attack Pearl on the 7th? I want to be near the harbor if they do. I can set up a second single mission for that if I need to.
Old 07-14-10, 11:20 PM   #1852
rein1705
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 541

Quote:
I have been running the CoralSeaBattle campaign mission as a single mission. Peabody explained how to do it. I looked at a chart on the battle. Lurker, you attention to detail is pretty damn impressive.

So I got an idea. I noticed that you had a PearlHarbor.mis. I opened it up and looked at it. Then I created a single mission, the objective of which is to stop the attack! I placed an American Sub right at the last waypoint for the Jap fleet. I just started the mission and am awaiting the fleet to arrive. It is 0000 hours on 12/7/41.

By the way, do planes from the fleet attack Pearl on the 7th? I want to be near the harbor if they do. I can set up a second single mission for that if I need to.

you should play as the Narwhale during the air attack at pearl that would be AWESOME!!!

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
rein1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 03:05 AM   #1853
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

RSRDC question for Lurker

I play TMO2.0 and RSRDC. There are lots of interesting campaigns in RSRDC such as BattleCoralSea, PearlHarborAttack, etc. When I play a career in TMO am I playing those campaign missions. If not, why? In not, can RSRDC be set up so that I play them instead of TMO 2.0 missions? (I know I can create single missions from the campaign mis. files in RSRDC.)
Old 07-17-10, 10:02 AM   #1854
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
When I play a career in TMO am I playing those campaign missions.
Yes

Also FYI if you try to create a "single mission" out of those campaign files you are going to get "double" ships, i.e. ships on top of ships since all files are designed to be used in SingleMission,SinglePatrol and Career mod.

Creating "single" missions out of campaign can be done by loading up the mission editor, creating a player sub in the general area that you want to start, then using the "merge" option add in the campaign file and fine tune where you want to start. then save

WARNING

Do not activate the check book when you see "mark merge data as saveable"

Also don't add the start point of the players sub within 20km of any ship start point.

You don't need an objective to play. When the mission loads just select the "return to mission" on the lower left of the scene and you can play as long as you wish
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 02:30 PM   #1855
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default lurker

that is a most interesting reply. Thank you.

I have another question. If I am playing the campaigns in RSRDC, which I activated after TMO2.0, why is my boat sent to missions in areas that do not appear close to the dates and locations of the campaigns that RSRDC creates? Take BattleofCoralSea for example. Out of midway, the mission misses it. I think it misses it out the ports down under. Maybe I am missing something here, but I do not think my boat is sent to the locations of the fleets, convoys, task forces, etc. in the RSRDC campaigns.

Also, I did not notice duplicate ships, as on one mission there was just a single carrier.

Your work on the various campaigns is really quite interesting. From your Readmes it appears very complete, and from the little I have confirmed, it appears a thorough and accurate recreation. The game's designers would have been well deserved had they done their homework, but they did do one thing. They gave you something to do!
Old 07-17-10, 04:32 PM   #1856
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
I have another question.
The patrol areas are based on the "historical record" of "where" US Subs where sent based on there ports of operations and "not" on "where" various battles were fought.
Old 07-17-10, 04:50 PM   #1857
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default hey you should be at the beach

Darn. I was hoping to be sent on missions where I would be at all of the important battles. Now I have to figure out the dates of all the key battles and either look at your recreations via the mission editor and disobey the mission orders (heaven forbid!) to take part, or I disobey the mission ordersa and simply sail to the area where I think they will be and cross my fingers. Either way, i will have to research the battles to figure out where and when they took place so my boat can get there. It probably means I will not complete the missions called for in the campaign. I do not see any other way. It sounds like your merge instructions is the way to go. How do I save it in mission career so it shows up chronologically?
Old 07-29-10, 01:00 AM   #1858
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Never thought of this?

I always play RSRDC with a supermod. I have played it with RFB and with TMO. Can I play RSRDC without a supermod? If I do, will the campaigns that I am sent to be the ones in RSRDC? If not, what that tells me is that I have to know what campaign occurred on a particular date, and sail to the place and try to find it. Set me straight please.
Old 07-29-10, 06:34 AM   #1859
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
I always play RSRDC with a supermod. I have played it with RFB and with TMO. Can I play RSRDC without a supermod? If I do, will the campaigns that I am sent to be the ones in RSRDC? If not, what that tells me is that I have to know what campaign occurred on a particular date, and sail to the place and try to find it. Set me straight please.

See the readme in the first post
Old 07-29-10, 12:49 PM   #1860
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74

Quote:
Darn. I was hoping to be sent on missions where I would be at all of the important battles. Now I have to figure out the dates of all the key battles and either look at your recreations via the mission editor and disobey the mission orders (heaven forbid!) to take part, or I disobey the mission ordersa and simply sail to the area where I think they will be and cross my fingers. Either way, i will have to research the battles to figure out where and when they took place so my boat can get there. It probably means I will not complete the missions called for in the campaign. I do not see any other way. It sounds like your merge instructions is the way to go. How do I save it in mission career so it shows up chronologically?
Isn't hindsight wonderful?

'Knowing' where the Jap fleet was at any particular time during the war would not be historically accurate. The tactics were more like " 'we think' the Jap Fleet 'may be' in vicinity NW Midway Is. ETA June 1-10. " More accurate info just wasn't available. Even if it was, to broadcast an 'All Subs in vicinity . . . ' alert would also have told Tokiyo Rose that we knew where they were, and probably where we were too. The Japs were pretty good at deciphering our intelligence. Finding the Jap Fleet first at Midway (before they spotted our fleet) was a matter of dumb luck. The battle could have ended very differently (if the radio on their spotter plane hadn't broken down).

BTW, the bomber squadren only found the Jap Fleet after following a destroyer back to the fleet after it was chasing the Nautilus. One of our subs gave our fleet the 'Big Clue' to the Jap's location. Sometimes luck plays a bigger part in war than all the stratigy and tactics combined.

God Bless Electric Boat