SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-28-11, 08:16 PM   #1816
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post

Useing the base dynamics shadows stuff started with me Hans.
Others tried and failed at things they did not understand.
(Nor do to this day!)
They don't 'work' with SH3 or SH4 any longer as per thier posts.
Listen to them at your peril.
Hi mate,

No worry here i never was tempted at playing with it since baking on ship and sub is enough for me.

Seeing the way they look in SH5 make me appreciated SH3 even more.

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 08:22 PM   #1817
postalbyke
Chief

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 1

Yah, Hans, I thought you were all about trail-blazing, shooting for the "impossible!"
anyrate, I'm still reading this every day, and I really can't wait for this amazing product to finally come through!
Keep working hard, don't kill yourself working, and thank you to the whole HAHD team for sticking with it!
Old 07-28-11, 10:27 PM   #1818
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalbyke View Post
Yah, Hans, I thought you were all about trail-blazing, shooting for the "impossible!"
anyrate, I'm still reading this every day, and I really can't wait for this amazing product to finally come through!
Keep working hard, don't kill yourself working, and thank you to the whole HAHD team for sticking with it!
Hi mate,

It would be pretty stupid from us with all the crazy work we done so far to give up!

Even if sometime the activity seem a little weak on the thread doesn't mean nothing is going on under the hood.

We all are working on different part and since it is free work i will never push anyone in team to get thing done faster simply because the beauty of our mod will shine because we don't imposed our selves deadline.

This way we leave a part of the mod only when it is perfectly set to the high standard of U-BOAT_HAHD team.

In a way we are almost making everything new and this take a lot of time and attention.

And i don't think the work will be completely finish ever because we can change so many aspect of this game that it will probably be like an ongoing project even when release we will still improve everything we can and other will probably get involved on the way.

Like i said this is only the beginning

Best regards Hans

Old 07-29-11, 03:45 AM   #1819
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
See here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...7&postcount=98

They can be done dynamically but there are some side effects.
this mod is awesome. already forgot how it improves the overall look.

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 03:47 AM   #1820
ryanwigginton
Weps

Downloads: 68

Hans I salute you.

Never have I seen such dedication. And how do you manage to work so hard on the project AND provide constant updates here on the forum? Is there two of you?
Old 07-29-11, 09:38 AM   #1821
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwigginton View Post
Hans I salute you.

Never have I seen such dedication. And how do you manage to work so hard on the project AND provide constant updates here on the forum? Is there two of you?
Hi mate,

Thank for the kind words and yes i have a clone that do the dirty work while i sleep
Best regards Hans

Old 07-29-11, 01:17 PM   #1822
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwigginton View Post
Hans I salute you.

Hey I like the updates and when modders constantly chat with community.When its silent it feels like they are not modding.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 02:26 PM   #1823
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
Hi mate,

.... and for the polygon effect this is related with the scaling at certain scale they start to appear but just push the scale a bit and it fix it.

By scaling the water you also scale the the reflex_atlantic.tga but this screwed up the all thing.

Best regards Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
I mean the shadows laid down on water from land,piers,subs etc.Thats what Makman was talking about in his post also.
Ahoy Hans and Wolfstriked ,

no , none of you understand what is the 'polygon effect' issue ! 'polygon effect' issue has to do with thelight's reflection generally on water surface (only about the light).

@Wolfstriked , i believe (never have involved to that kind of edits) that you can turn off the reflections of port buildings on water via their .dat files. there must be a setting for water reflection for each one and you can turn it off but more expert on this is Hans to tell you about.
ps: i will test later tonight the last settings you send me for the uiia and will send you later my opinion about it .your first version was very good ...so i am curius to see the next one

@Hans ,at the pics at my previous post are all ok ! nothing is 'screwed up' mate !
look at these pics where is showing the light's 'polygon effect' at all its 'glory' .pay attention that the light has turned to little 'squares'(more like exagons). the bigger the difference at colors between sky's light reflection colors and water's colors ...the more noticable is the 'polygon effect' :

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 02:49 PM   #1824
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
Ahoy Hans and Wolfstriked ,

no , none of you understand what is the 'polygon effect' issue ! 'polygon effect' issue has to do with thelight's reflection generally on water surface (only about the light).

@Wolfstriked , i believe (never have involved to that kind of edits) that you can turn off the reflections of port buildings on water via their .dat files. there must be a setting for water reflection for each one and you can turn it off but more expert on this is Hans to tell you about.
ps: i will test later tonight the last settings you send me for the uiia and will send you later my opinion about it .your first version was very good ...so i am curius to see the next one
Great stuff Makman.....that is the only thing that bothers me severly.I do not mind the water at all and when I look at pics of SH4 I find it ugly.The SH4 underwater is way better though.Also,I have tweaked some more so that the stern plants better.Its just slightly better but I think you like it.If I plant stern fully it behaves bad on water in other ways....removing the fast drop of bow when cresting a wave.Also,the fact that the props come out of water was actually a real issue they had back then.I will just post it here and you can change the two settings yourself.

Better yet I will send you the file as I think I changed the copy I sent you so no way to know what I actually changed.
Old 07-29-11, 03:00 PM   #1825
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
....If I plant stern fully it behaves bad on water in other ways....removing the fast drop of bow when cresting a wave.....
you say that you managed to keep the stern fully in ?? can you send me these tweaks also ? (i mean the ones with the stern fully in ) . i will see about the rest on it...maybe a little tweak more will do the trick for fining the bow too !

Old 07-29-11, 03:21 PM   #1826
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post

Useing the base dynamics shadows stuff started with me Hans.
Others tried and failed at things they did not understand.
(Nor do to this day!)
They don't 'work' with SH3 or SH4 any longer as per thier posts.
Listen to them at your peril.
it is time to give hands and move on guys. there are very few modders left at forum for 'fighting' each other.whats the point ? really ...is there any point at all ?

@Jeff , i understand that you may felt insulted by the behaviour of TDW back then and probably you are right but on the other hand i don't believe that TDW tried to 'steal' you anything .it seemed to me more that he was very excited with your new finding and 'rushed in' your thread for HEPLING ..not STEALING ! (that was what I understand...unless i am missing scenes from the background so in this case... forgive me).

both said back then that it can be done if you were 'allowed' to hack the executables and you left it over becuase of this. well ,now THE ROAD FOR HEX EDITING IS OPEN [thanks to H.Sie---who is the only one(ok and Stiebler) that is fighting with the 'beast' ] so why you (and TDW both UNITED) don't give it one more try ? never the less there is nothing to be lost ...eh ?

Old 07-29-11, 04:06 PM   #1827
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Great stuff Makman.....that is the only thing that bothers me severly.I do not mind the water at all and when I look at pics of SH4 I find it ugly.The SH4 underwater is way better though.Also,I have tweaked some more so that the stern plants better.Its just slightly better but I think you like it.If I plant stern fully it behaves bad on water in other ways....removing the fast drop of bow when cresting a wave.Also,the fact that the props come out of water was actually a real issue they had back then.I will just post it here and you can change the two settings yourself.

Better yet I will send you the file as I think I changed the copy I sent you so no way to know what I actually changed.

Nice one Mate, Forward it to me too to test . If you fixed the prop out of water, then you have yourself a winner As it is now its still excellent - the handling is supreme compared to stock
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 06:13 PM   #1828
brett25
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 570

makman thats the best water/enviornment lighting i have see in SH3, Maybe Hans can start there and add reflection/bump etc? But its hard to imagine much improvement over those images
brett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 06:18 PM   #1829
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Today I was stuck at a customer's site with nothing to do so I played around with the SH3.exe file. I wanted to see how hard it would be to make transparent water. The verdict: It'll take TONS of work and even then it probably won't look right. Here I was playing with the Z buffer settings and alpha blending. You'll notice the water is 'gone'. The reason: Water is rendered first in SH3 before anything else (and it's Z value is large). Once other items are rendered to the backbuffer they have a smaller Z value and thus their pixels get rendered and water doesn't. If water was rendered last (or it's Z value was made very small i.e. near plane value) transparent water can probably be done as one could configure the Z buffer to allow it (and set alpha blending to blend the backbuffer with anything new 'drawn' on it [aka units, land, etc.]). But then you would still have the problem of when viewing water from above (camera up high) everything would be 'visible' through the water no matter how deep it was in it.
Notice I enabled the 3D-GDS engine string inside the exe also.
I noticed that if the camera drops below water different Z buffer and alpha blending settings are used. If one could keep those settings when camera is above water you could possibly have transparent water also.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 06:18 PM   #1830
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Sent it guys.I hope its better and must say that I am super critical of it.Looks off at times and superb at others.But when I go to stock I laugh and realize the tweaking does enhance SH3.