SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-16-13, 01:52 PM   #1786
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

After unchecking 'Use local regional settings' something changed. Now when trying a strict vertex data import I get this error message:

I want to try importing a GR2 Editor-generated obj file tweaked with Wings 3D vertex coordinates. I will report back in a few minutes...
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-13, 02:15 PM   #1787
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
After unchecking 'Use local regional settings' something changed. Now when trying a strict vertex data import I get this error message:
Please post a link to the file that gave this error (include all the other files also so I can try and import it while watching in Visual Studio's debugger).
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-13, 02:19 PM   #1788
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Please post a link to the file that gave this error (include all the other files also so I can try and import it while watching in Visual Studio's debugger).
at last the "hybrid" file worked

seems that your tool can't recognize some Wing 3D's setting. Give me time to pack the files
Old 02-16-13, 02:30 PM   #1789
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
at last the "hybrid" file worked

seems that your tool can't recognize some Wing 3D's setting. Give me time to pack the files
Please include a write-up that details the steps you took to get the error. I need to try and simulate what you did to recreate the error to understand why it's happening.
Old 02-16-13, 02:32 PM   #1790
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

No hidden rigid vertex data in Augustus.GR2...I asked for information on wrong section and the app readily applied with nothing found Problem fixed in the app and more testing/coding continues...
Old 02-16-13, 02:36 PM   #1791
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Please include a write-up that details the steps you took to get the error. I need to try and simulate what you did to recreate the error to understand why it's happening.
Here are the files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3ck9oot5ivgox01

I followed the steps described in this post. Always tried strict imports. Exporting/Importing vertex data alone.

The only difference is that now I unchecked the 'use regional settings' option.
Old 02-16-13, 02:44 PM   #1792
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Here are the files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3ck9oot5ivgox01

I followed the steps described in this post. Always tried strict imports. Exporting/Importing vertex data alone.

The only difference is that now I unchecked the 'use regional settings' option.
I just posted the thread where you described the problem. I see the problem in the app now The problem is in the strict import (and more than likely in the loose importer also). The problem is in the face definitions. I check for normals, texture coordinates, and vertices. If all 3 are found then the number of parameters for the face definitions is 3. If one or more isn't found then the number of parameters for the face definition reflects this. What I had coded was if the number of parameters != number of parameters in face definition then throw error. I'm making the necessary changes so that the app is checking for the possibility of nothing in a face definition parameter (1//2).
Old 02-16-13, 03:14 PM   #1793
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I just posted the thread where you described the problem. I see the problem in the app now The problem is in the strict import (and more than likely in the loose importer also). The problem is in the face definitions. I check for normals, texture coordinates, and vertices. If all 3 are found then the number of parameters for the face definitions is 3. If one or more isn't found then the number of parameters for the face definition reflects this. What I had coded was if the number of parameters != number of parameters in face definition then throw error. I'm making the necessary changes so that the app is checking for the possibility of nothing in a face definition parameter (1//2).
I see.

While we are waiting for the next update, can I obviate the problem by pasting the face definitions of the GR2 Editor-exported obj file into the Vings3D export? Should I expect any side effect?
Old 02-16-13, 03:22 PM   #1794
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
I see.

While we are waiting for the next update, can I obviate the problem by pasting the face definitions of the GR2 Editor-exported obj file into the Vings3D export? Should I expect any side effect?
Not a good idea. I've seen Wings3D move vertices around.

I have fixed the bug you reported (it was in the strict and loose importers) and was able to successfully import your Wings3D file. I hope you looked at the results of that Wings3D file in the app. It actually made the tree LARGER.

I'll release a new version here very shortly with this problem fixed. This new version will have the decompression disabled as it's not finished yet There have been many bug fixes and this current bug fix is a major one.

I have to finish coding and testing of the updating of these special datatype definitions that I found first before I can release this new version. Bad things will happen if these new special datatype definitions are not updated (if the GR2 file even has them - very few do).
Old 02-16-13, 03:26 PM   #1795
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Not a good idea. I've seen Wings3D move vertices around.

I have fixed the bug you reported (it was in the strict and loose importers) and was able to successfully import your Wings3D file. I hope you looked at the results of that Wings3D file in the app. It actually made the tree LARGER.

I'll release a new version here very shortly with this problem fixed. This new version will have the decompression disabled as it's not finished yet There have been many bug fixes and this current bug fix is a major one.

I have to finish coding and testing of the updating of these special datatype definitions that I found first before I can release this new version. Bad things will happen if these new special datatype definitions are not updated (if the GR2 file even has them - very few do).
Okay, I will follow your suggestion and I will wait for the next version of your tool before releasing a DynEnv update with the reworked trees

As usual you have been resolutive. Thank you!

P.S: I have made the tree much larger on purpose: I wanted to make sure I could spot the difference beyond any doubt. Next trees will be SMALLER
Old 02-16-13, 03:38 PM   #1796
gap
Navy Seal

Another anomaly tha I forgot to mention before:

when I want to replace an existing obj file, during an export, GR2 Editor crashes. I can replicate this bug as many times as I want
Old 02-16-13, 03:48 PM   #1797
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Another anomaly tha I forgot to mention before:

when I want to replace an existing obj file, during an export, GR2 Editor crashes. I can replicate this bug as many times as I want
Post a link to the file you had opened. Give me a step by step procedure of what you did so I can try and replicate the problem.
Old 02-16-13, 03:51 PM   #1798
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

v1.1.317.1 released. See post #1

Features disabled in the app:
- If any section has mixed values defined the app will refuse to open the file (I haven't finished coding this yet)
- If any GR2 file you try to load is compressed the app will immediately close it (because of the first item)

This version does not include the bug fix for the bug gap just reported. Once I get the file in question and the step-by-step procedure of what he did to create the bug I'll see what the problem is. If I fix it I'll release another new version as soon as it's fixed
Old 02-16-13, 04:20 PM   #1799
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Post a link to the file you had opened. Give me a step by step procedure of what you did so I can try and replicate the problem.
It is the same GR2 file that I had uploaded two hours ago.

Testing v1.1.317.1 now
Old 02-16-13, 04:22 PM   #1800
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
It is the same GR2 file that I uploaded two hours ago.
Vegetation or Vegetation_stock? And what were you trying to do with it? I really need a step-by-step procedure so I can try and duplicate the problem. I have to walk it in Visual Studio's debugger so I can see what's going on.

How does it crash? What is the error? I currently see nothing wrong in the code for the exporter as far as creating the obj file. The app will not be able to export the same OBJ file if you have it opened via some other app (it has a lock on it by Windows). Ensure no other app has the file opened.