SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-10, 05:57 PM   #166
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

In Battleground Europe (aka WW2OL) the servers sometimes have issues. There is someone responsible on the forums within MINUTES telling people what is up, and an estimated restart. Even 2am on a Sunday.

Frequently the network guy is blogging what he's doing as he goes. They even use twitter for real-time updates like that.

Not what looks like an automated message like you get from Ubi.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 06:01 PM   #167
punisher2010
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I think that everyone needs to calm down and realize that this was bound to happen and that it will happen again.
The DRM was widely known for many people and those who purchased it made an informed decision to buy the game.
I am sure that the servers will be back up eventually and people will just need to wait.
Also remember...24/7 monitoring does not equal 24/7 support or repair. They montored the servers, they know there is an issue and they will get it back up when they can.
If you bought the game knowing about the potential issues, then you must deal with the consequences. Remember, by purchasing the game, you pretty much helped support the DRM in place....The choice was yours...
They'll probably be back up tomorrow if it's a software issue....it's sometimes hard to get things like this fixed on the weekend...If they need to actually buy more servers, that could be an issue unless they have some lying around....

On a side note....They currently have 2 games running on the servers, one of which isn't even available in the US yet.... Can't wait to see what happens when the rest of the games come out...
punisher2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 06:23 PM   #168
Bungmiester
Watch

Downloads: 33

Once this afternoon would not connect to server. this is just pure pap, buy the game and can't play when you want to, this DRM sucks as does the auto saving .
Hopefully will be removed soon.
Bungmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 06:26 PM   #169
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

That Escapist article said there were problems in Europe - I just tried to connect and I can get on fine. Are the problems resolved then, or are people in the US having problems or what?
Old 03-07-10, 06:26 PM   #170
letterboy1
Captain

Downloads: 89

RS_Colonel, I also would like to see a more proactive approach from people that have a louder voice than us. This is no longer a minor gripe, the people in the publishing industry have shown us again and again that they intend to include DRM in their business model no matter the cost to the user. We know from experience that the only course for them to take from here is this - the hackers crack the DRM and a worse one will follow it. I can understand that the forum owners want to avoid rocking the boat with the publishers, but I hope that at some point they will draw a line.
EVGA GTX Titan Black
1.5 T-byte HDD
Antec 1 KW True Power Quattro PS
letterboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 06:32 PM   #171
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
That would not surprise me at all. DRM is hugely unpopular, and anti-DRM rage is too big a bandwagon not to jump on, and while some people may have genuine connection problems, it won't take much for a wave of "I am having problems!!" shouts to echo across the internetz, true or fabricated. Just thnk back a few days to Hitman's "If you have SH5 what do you think of it poll?" The people who selected "It is very Bad and I put if back on the shelf" were all except one, guys who had been posting for weeks they hate DRM and would never buy SH5.

So, I don't doubt some people may have connection issue, but no one will know who or how many because this is another arrow in the anti-DRM ragers' quiver.

PS: Of course, I am not talking about you (the person reading this post). Put down your pitchfork.
The cause of the downtime is irrelevant, Neal. Lightning strike, penguins, aliens, pirates, toasters, Ubisoft, makes no difference.

Bottom line: can legitimate buyers play the game whenever they want to (notwithstanding any exclusions stipulated in the EULA)?

Anyway, I know I won't have any problems when I eventually play SH5. I have a fast and stable(TM) internet connection, so I'll be fine.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 06:47 PM   #172
rugby6
Watch

Downloads: 248

Columbus, Georgia, United States. I've had SH5 for three days now and I've got to play the game for approximately two hours. I just checked it and its still freezing at the saved game synch. I have a reliable internet connection and I paid for the game. They need to get their act together and get it fixed. The only thing the DRM is doing is keeping the honest folks who bought the game from playing it. If they can't do that in a timely manner, they need to start figuring out how they're going to reimburse people for money wasted.
3.2 Gig RAM
Galaxy GE Force 9600 w/512MB Video RAM
Windows XP, SP 3
rugby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 06:48 PM   #173
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
That Escapist article said there were problems in Europe - I just tried to connect and I can get on fine. Are the problems resolved then, or are people in the US having problems or what?
I've seen the "the internet connection experiences problems" error twice today. And my game has inexplicably just disappeared (no errors, just shuts down) four times. That might be some subtle problem with this silly Ark Royal I've been trying to sink all day, but I dunno. I sank it, now I give up, even though I don't have a post-sink save.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 06:58 PM   #174
theluckyone17
Captain

Downloads: 103

I'd put up with outages for an MMO, not for a single player sim/game. I'd put up with bugs. I'd put up with design flaws. I will not put up with relying on a publisher to determine when and how I can play their single player game, after my purchase.
theluckyone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 07:14 PM   #175
Noren
中国水兵

Downloads: 10

This is a nightmare that some of us saw as a worst case scenario.

Ubisoft is of course sorry for the inconvenience.

I remember the ubisoft-peptalk; its for our sake the changes were made and Im still waiting for those realizations. Saletalk is of course sugercoated but like in the real world we customers learn, often by error.
Noren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 07:49 PM   #176
malkuth74
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Budokan View Post
A pathetic, and predictable, response from Ubi. Oh, really? You didn't foresee the majority of people who had the game would be playing on the weekend, and you weren't prepared for that?

All you had to do was call Blizzard and ask them when the peak times were for online games. No. Seriously. That's all you had to do. In fact, it was the least you could have done.

Then again, to be fair, given the laughable state of this arcade SubPg game upon release, no one with a functioning brain-stem should be too surprised you dropped the ball on this as well.

Think about this though... Ok... Two games so far are using this system. SHV and ACII. There is very little information passed from service to you in this game.. Not anything like WOW. But yet there servers can hardly handle two games that are not Multi Player. WTF are they going to do when the other games start stacking up the servers? They do realize that its going to cost them more money keeping these servers up and upgraded then they would of ever lost in Piracy. Which is why I bet the next step is Pay to play!

I hope that they fail and are out of buisness before that happens. I'm not buying another game from them ever with this system in place. And I hope others fallow suit.

What would make this even greater is if the return rate for both games are real high right now.. That places like Walmart and Gamestop drop the UBI line all together. I would laugh my butt off. They deserve no better.

malkuth74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 07:57 PM   #177
punisher2010
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post

Anyway, I know I won't have any problems when I eventually play SH5. I have a fast and stable(TM) internet connection, so I'll be fine.
Obviously you have missed some of this thread.. You could have the best connection in the world, literally and you still might have problems if, like today, the Ubisoft servers go down.....
Heck you could be in the next room connected directly to the server via fiber optic cable and you'd STILL have problems....
Old 03-07-10, 08:00 PM   #178
punisher2010
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noren View Post
This is a nightmare that some of us saw as a worst case scenario.

Ubisoft is of course sorry for the inconvenience.

I remember the ubisoft-peptalk; its for our sake the changes were made and Im still waiting for those realizations. Saletalk is of course sugercoated but like in the real world we customers learn, often by error.
Not quite worst case scenerio yet, but this IS what many of us have been saying all along could happen....
This is proof to those people raving about their uber, stable, never down for a millisecond Internet connection.... It doesn't even matter.....You are also DEPENDING on Ubisoft's connection.
Old 03-07-10, 08:07 PM   #179
IanC
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher2010 View Post
Obviously you have missed some of this thread.. You could have the best connection in the world, literally and you still might have problems if, like today, the Ubisoft servers go down.....
Heck you could be in the next room connected directly to the server via fiber optic cable and you'd STILL have problems....
I guarantee you, he was being sarcastic.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 08:27 PM   #180
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 124

Blizzard have spent $200 million on their servers since 2004, thats $40 million a year. they still have a few problems but nothing major. And the bandwidth is low cus im able to play WOW on dial up speed (7Kbps). My ISP slows me to dial up speed if i go over my monthly usage.

Quote:
$200 million. Or, at least that's what Blizzard disclosed during yesterday's analyst conference call.
http://kotaku.com/5050300/how-much-h...ard-since-2004

In blizzards case that is for 1 game (11 million players over multiple servers).

How many Ubi games will there be using this system, thats gonna add up to total alot more than 11 million players. And as they are experiencing problems with only 2 games tied to this OSP. then i see serious trouble ahead.