SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-23-11, 05:31 AM   #1771
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0

thanks for the update.

but the water is one of the keys to a good and realistic sail-feeling. schwieger is right, we should take the sh4 water as a reference. yesterday i tried some tweaks with the sh3 water and the sh4 scene.dat in sh3. the result was not very promising. as to my last experiences, there are missing additional controllers for the water, to make it look more rough. but i can not add or import them from sh4, as sh3 does not recognize them.

actually the sh3 water only has 5 ways to tweak it:

- choppy waves controller (increased it leads to many odd looking, hard edged waves)

- bump factor (leads to more rough looking water, but only via bright and dark areas, no light reflections. the bump-texture is not scalable, even there is a controller for this. so the bumpy areas are to large, to make it look more rough)

- amount of reflection deforming (adds more or less reflection of the sky and other objects to the water. and let us also change the rate of deforming on the water. useful.)

- fresnel coefficent (useful controller, changes the waves system)

- waves armonic (longer or shorter waves. good for different weather and wind conditions)

but it is missing a shader-like controller, for giving the water a better rough surface, which reflects the light in smaller pieces. only wind up to 1-2m per second results in flat looking waves. above this, the water gets small waves between the larger waves -> a rough surface. sh3 tries to simulate these with the bump-controller. but the areas are just bright-dark, not reflective. so the effect looks unrealistic.

smells like reverse engineering, making the responsable dlls, or the sh3.exe reading new libraries/shaders and use them.

but this is, where my knowledge ends.

any help is appreciated!

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 07:07 AM   #1772
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxale View Post

This is quite much-!

As for sounds, I think some of the resident Sound-maker would be willing to share his/her sound-mod. So you and your mates don't need to go tru this.

Anyway, the cooling holes sound so hardcore...I'm totally excited. #
Cheers!
Hi mate,

You cannot be more excited then me since early this morning i am testing the new damage model and i am having a blast with the deck gun i just got hook !

Sinking a ship have never been so fun then now even the SH5 crowd will be jealous!

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 07:49 AM   #1773
urfisch
Sea Lord

heres, what ive reached so far.

the surface is now slightly more rough, simulating tiny waves on top of the water...but it seems, a real light reflection was not implemented in sh3. tried to mix the dlls and act files from sh3 and sh4...no success so far.

Old 07-23-11, 06:20 PM   #1774
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by urfisch View Post
tried to mix the dlls and act files from sh3 and sh4...no success so far.
Would be a miracle if it did even work. The dll entry points are probably totally different and the offsets for the variables probably don't correspond to anything (not to mention function calls out). Surprised the game didn't CTD right off the bat on you.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-11, 09:01 PM   #1775
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:

the surface is now slightly more rough, simulating tiny waves on top of the water...but it seems, a real light reflection was not implemented in sh3. tried to mix the dlls and act files from sh3 and sh4...no success so far.
Hi mate,

Nice work on this picture maybe just make the noise a little bit bigger or just forcing antialias on video card could reduced it.

Best regards Hans

Old 07-24-11, 04:54 AM   #1776
urfisch
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Would be a miracle if it did even work. The dll entry points are probably totally different and the offsets for the variables probably don't correspond to anything (not to mention function calls out). Surprised the game didn't CTD right off the bat on you.
yeah, i know. but i am not a coder...tdw. i have just the tools i have in my mind. so its trial and error. anyway. would you help, to find a way make sh3 using the water shaders from sh4? needs a lot of adjustment in the certain dlls. this is where my skills end, i even do not know how to disassemble or decompile these files, so i could change the procedure entry points. and hexediting is quite a horrorshow for me...

yes, i know. i should learn these things. i know, you have this point of view. but maybe you could make an exception? it is simply too much work for me, to learn all this stuff.

@hans:

no chance to get "noise" onto the water. the normal water does not use any texture, so i have only access via the controllers. and there is no controller which might add some kind of noise. sad one...i know. but the devs left some important things out, they added later in sh4.

Old 07-24-11, 08:04 AM   #1777
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

Urfisch,first,do you have a computer to run high resolution?I notice in your pic you have stock GUI and this makes me ask this first question.Magui first off makes my game look so much better and more immersive that I do not notice things as much.Then going from 1024x768 to 1600x1200 makes the game just look sharper and more pleasant to view.

Second is do you use GWX and if yes have you tried the GWX16km mod.It seems to have tweaked the colors and looks alot better to me.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-11, 08:30 PM   #1778
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Hi shipmates,

The damage model is almost finish and the movie will soon follow i will included comparison showing the drastic difference between them.

Everything seem to come from another game and deck gunning and topedoe a ship is now the way i like it

Best regards Hans

Old 07-24-11, 09:07 PM   #1779
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

I can't wait Hans.Look forward to what magic you work.
Old 07-25-11, 12:55 AM   #1780
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
Hi shipmates,

The damage model is almost finish and the movie will soon follow i will included comparison showing the drastic difference between them.

Everything seem to come from another game and deck gunning and topedoe a ship is now the way i like it

Best regards Hans
I can smell the excitement in the air!

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 02:03 AM   #1781
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxale View Post
I can smell the excitement in the air!
Hi mate,

How about sailors trying to extinguish fire on deck and sailors jumping in the water covered in flame?

Also underwater school of fish passing by and some marine life.

And the animated texture open so many new possibility like tonight i did some test with real footage from a floating oil slick and i can't wait to test it.

Like for particle system changing a bitmap to an animated one drastically change the wow factor on many thing like bubbles, fire,smoke,splash etc.

Like i said before i am only starting to test many new visuals for in game FX and the potential is there.

We could have used other mods who had better damage FX but after testing some i saw that they were poorly optimize in almost every aspect of real time rendering but i can't blame the guys since they have no game development experience.

Like smoke oufff i won't name the mod but hey the amount of particle count the guy put in was enough to scare any game maker, the trick with particle system lie in excellent sprite alpha and bigger particle with smooth blending and you get better looking effect with a very low count.

That why i decided to completely re do it myself because it is sometime less work to redo from scratch then trying to optimize other work.

Damn now i am starting to wonder if i will live long enough to mod this game to it ultimate state!

Best regards Hans

Old 07-25-11, 02:24 AM   #1782
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62

As long as we can run it, pile on all effects, lol, the more the merrier

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 04:17 AM   #1783
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwieger View Post
As long as we can run it, pile on all effects, lol, the more the merrier
Hi mate,

If i can run it on an ati radeon 1900x i surely think everybody here have a better card than me!

My objective for U-BOAT_HAHD is not to get lower then 30 fps on my old rig so anyone with better rig then mine would have no trouble at all.

Best regards Hans

Old 07-25-11, 06:50 AM   #1784
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
Quote:

Hi mate,
Nice work on this picture maybe just make the noise a little bit bigger or just forcing antialias on video card could reduced it.

Best regards Hans
Something like that, but was made more than five years ago... with min wind...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 11:40 AM   #1785
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Hans,that stuff sounds crazy.Guys on fire trying to put out fires!!!Fish swimming in the water.Pleasel live long enough.......