SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-11, 12:20 PM   #1621
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post

'full' TDC device ( red button means that TDC is on MANUAL mode...glass is removed from bearing-range-aob-speed dials and player can interact with these dials at this mode ):

Questions for Reaper and the Makman and anyone who is well versed in sub warfare.I am still learning how to fire by using the RAOBF.Stoianm has some excellent tutorials on it for SH5 Ok,at one point though he states that range is not that important and so wasn't as precise in his reading as the other stuff.How can range not be important when it determines the gyro angle to hit a target?Or did he word it wrong?

If you look at the dials for range they seem more precise in some areas and get vague in others.Example in range dial in pic above is 3 to 10 have just a middle tic......then from 10 to 30 it has more tics to choose from....and then it gets vague again.Is this because its optimal to fire from 1km to 3km?

Second is about torp speed selection.Are the slow/med/fast speeds a set speed with variance to hit target done with gyroangle?

Third,how far below keel to set magnetic torps.

Finally,Makman will you allow us to fire from X6 and X1.5?In SH5 scope mod you did you can take readinsg from X6 or X1.5 but in SH3 its only with X12.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 02:35 PM   #1622
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

[QUOTE=Wolfstriked]Questions for Reaper and the Makman and anyone who is well versed in sub warfare.I am still learning how to fire by using the RAOBF.Stoianm has some excellent tutorials on it for SH5 Ok,at one point though he states that range is not that important and so wasn't as precise in his reading as the other stuff.How can range not be important when it determines the gyro angle to hit a target?Or did he word it wrong?

Stoianm is most likely using a Fast 90 Attack. Range is not as critical in this attack method due to the Torp travelling at a constant speed vs the constant speed of the target in relation to its bearing on your scope. Look up the Fast 90 for a proper explanition of why the range is not critical for this attack.

If you look at the dials for range they seem more precise in some areas and get vague in others.Example in range dial in pic above is 3 to 10 have just a middle tic......then from 10 to 30 it has more tics to choose from....and then it gets vague again.Is this because its optimal to fire from 1km to 3km?

This is due to the Range dial being logramitic and not linear like all the other dials.

Second is about torp speed selection.Are the slow/med/fast speeds a set speed with variance to hit target done with gyroangle?

Yes these speeds are set elsewhere (Can't remember the file - these can be altered) to be fixed at 30, 40 & 44.

Third,how far below keel to set magnetic torps.

1M should be good

Finally,Makman will you allow us to fire from X6 and X1.5?In SH5 scope mod you did you can take readinsg from X6 or X1.5 but in SH3 its only with X12.

If your refering to the RAOBF - you can use it in both 1.5x and 6x there are different Marker positions for each scale.
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 02:58 PM   #1623
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Stoianm is most likely using a Fast 90 Attack. Range is not as critical in this attack method due to the Torp travelling at a constant speed vs the constant speed of the target in relation to its bearing on your scope. Look up the Fast 90 for a proper explanition of why the range is not critical for this attack.

I think I understand fast 90 attack and how range setting really is mute.That is if you are in optimal range so torp will hit somewhere on ship.Its not gonna give a precise attack though as I think I understand it.

This is due to the Range dial being logramitic and not linear like all the other dials.

I guess my question should of been worded.....why is 1km to 3km more precise to set range with....because its the optimal range?And Reaper dude....I dropped out in 8th grade so be easy with the scientific jambalaya.I had to look up logramitic and am still lost.

Yes these speeds are set elsewhere (Can't remember the file - these can be altered) to be fixed at 30, 40 & 44.

Ahhh,thanks for that.I was thinking for awhile that torps were speeding up and slowing down but its just a switch for different set speeds.Now I must ask why are they there....I always choose fast.

1M should be good

Thanks.

If your refering to the RAOBF - you can use it in both 1.5x and 6x there are different Marker positions for each scale.

So no X12 in HAHD?

Off topic.Can you fill us in a bit on what the crew will be like and what damage model will be like?
Old 06-23-11, 04:06 PM   #1624
reaper7
sim2reality

[QUOTE=Wolfstriked]Stoianm is most likely using a Fast 90 Attack. Range is not as critical in this attack method due to the Torp travelling at a constant speed vs the constant speed of the target in relation to its bearing on your scope. Look up the Fast 90 for a proper explanition of why the range is not critical for this attack.

I think I understand fast 90 attack and how range setting really is mute.That is if you are in optimal range so torp will hit somewhere on ship.Its not gonna give a precise attack though as I think I understand it.

Set up correctly it can be very precise. Multiple strikes at pacific points of the hull can be obtained by shooting as the target passes the correct bearing.
Also multiple ships in a column can be hit at the same time using this method

I guess my question should of been worded.....why is 1km to 3km more precise to set range with....because its the optimal range?And Reaper dude....I dropped out in 8th grade so be easy with the scientific jambalaya.I had to look up logramitic and am still lost.

Basically a log is a base multiplied by a power eg 10^3 = 10x10x10 =1000.
So in the case of the Range Dial we have a a start range of 300M and and end range of 10000M but in stead of going 100, 200, 300..... 10000
its value is rasied each time by a log so its more like 100, 105, 120, 190, 400.... 10000. This means that we have greater error control at closer range than further out - this we need as we shoot at closer range (Not many shots takes at 10000M range ).
Imagine the dial spacing if it went linear from 300 to 10000 - It would be impossible to make out the numbers.

So no X12 in HAHD?

No x12 in the HAHD Mod - as this is unrealistic (Only 1.5 and 6x were used in the scopes

Off topic.Can you fill us in a bit on what the crew will be like and what damage model will be like?

Afraid I don't have any info on these myself - still has to be discussed by the Team

Last edited by reaper7; 06-24-11 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-23-11, 04:58 PM   #1625
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62

I hope the team opts for a more realistic damage model

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 05:23 PM   #1626
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Excellent,thanks for the answers again Reaper.And on to the Damage model,you guys need to take a new member on to the team so that that part can be worked on parallel with the work you guys are doing.I was thinking maybe that Steibler would come on board to add a damage model to HAHD....with the decisions made by the team of course.
Old 06-24-11, 03:31 AM   #1627
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***1074;***1086;***1083;***1082; View Post
I thought the suggestion is quite obvious - no gradient on TDC labels. The gradient labels looks overdone, unrealistic and candy - like vista in comparison to windows xp My suggestion is - keep it simple, don't overdo
i got what you mean now ! agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
No, no I had already suspected those others were flood tube indicators. I meant actually those on the bottom right of the corner, for chief engineer, helmsman, etc. They are simply beautiful, streamlined but detailed and very, very fitting

You certainly have a talent for capturing period atmosphere
thank you Alberto but credits must be given to the 'Oleg of sh3' aka...Hans !
he is the author of the base of these icons ,i put some layers on them (shadows ,glossy ,frames) and fit them in the gui . there will be one more alternative version for the console(a metal one) which i believe is even more beutyfull than this(wood) one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic1111 View Post
@ Reaper7 and makman: Here come my corrections (look at the second words, first words the mistake).

Hope that helps,

Magic
a yes Magic . thats it what was needed ! thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
.....Stoianm has some excellent tutorials on it for SH5 Ok,at one point though he states that range is not that important and so wasn't as precise in his reading as the other stuff.How can range not be important when it determines the gyro angle to hit a target?Or did he word it wrong?
you got it wrong . range is ALWAYS important at EVERY shot . what Stoianm may saying ( i say 'may' becuase i haven't look at these tutorials) is that range is NOT SO IMPORTANT (pay attention: i am saying ''not so important'' and NOT ''not important at all'' ) at shots with gyro = 0 degrees (straight shots). in this case , yes range is not so important but you have to pull the trigger when gyro = 0 .(if gyro is not 0 then range comes in scene again !)

Quote:

....Finally,Makman will you allow us to fire from X6 and X1.5?In SH5 scope mod you did you can take readinsg from X6 or X1.5 but in SH3 its only with X12.
as Reaper told you the U-BOOT HAHD is focusing on realistic values for type ii so at scope the magnifications are x1,5 and x6 .
as for the x12 of MaGui F : you can take readings from whatever magnification you want (x1,5 / x6 / x12) but you have to remember at what zoom level the numbers on rings are adjusted to work DIRECTLY WITH . for the other zooms levels you have first to multiply ,in your mind, (factor is 2 for x6 zoom and 8 for x1,5) the readings and then put them on the rings . read the Manos Optics text in MaGui's documents for more info on this .

all the rest are exactly as Reaper allready told you

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 11:56 AM   #1628
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

[QUOTE=makman94;1689804]thank you Alberto but credits must be given to the 'Oleg of sh3' aka...Hans !
he is the author of the base of these icons ,i put some layers on them (shadows ,glossy ,frames) and fit them in the gui . there will be one more alternative version for the console(a metal one) which i believe is even more beutyfull than this(wood) one

I was trying to think of a way to ask you to give us a metal version since I really like the way MAGUI looks.Silly of me as you take constructive criticism very well and actually do changes if you agree to it,as you already shown.

you got it wrong . range is ALWAYS important at EVERY shot . what Stoianm may saying ( i say 'may' becuase i haven't look at these tutorials) is that range is NOT SO IMPORTANT (pay attention: i am saying ''not so important'' and NOT ''not important at all'' ) at shots with gyro = 0 degrees (straight shots). in this case , yes range is not so important but you have to pull the trigger when gyro = 0 .(if gyro is not 0 then range comes in scene again !)

See thats where I am confused.If a ship is at 1km and a straight shot hits it there is no way that a ship at 4km will be hit with same speed torpedo.....the gyro angle must change so that the torpedo is aimed ahead of ship and what determines how much the gyro moves is range,speed,AOB etc.

as Reaper told you the U-BOOT HAHD is focusing on realistic values for type ii so at scope the magnifications are x1,5 and x6 .
as for the x12 of MaGui F : you can take readings from whatever magnification you want (x1,5 / x6 / x12) but you have to remember at what zoom level the numbers on rings are adjusted to work DIRECTLY WITH . for the other zooms levels you have first to multiply ,in your mind, (factor is 2 for x6 zoom and 8 for x1,5) the readings and then put them on the rings . read the Manos Optics text in MaGui's documents for more info on this .

all the rest are exactly as Reaper allready told you

Thats great Makman.I find myself alot of times too close at X12 and now I can just factor of 2 for X6.

Edit,anyone know what speeds silent running was in the various subs?I found that the Type XXI had a "silent running" speed of 6.1knts but this boat was made for submerged performance.

Last edited by Wolfstriked; 06-24-11 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-24-11, 01:03 PM   #1629
reaper7
sim2reality

Quote:
See thats where I am confused.If a ship is at 1km and a straight shot hits it there is no way that a ship at 4km will be hit with same speed torpedo.....the gyro angle must change so that the torpedo is aimed ahead of ship and what determines how much the gyro moves is range,speed,AOB etc.
Not quite, Take the first one at 1KM if you fire as the point of the ship crosses the bearing you have set up for say at 320deg (Your Torp Gyro is at 0deg).

Now if you fire at a ship at 4KM on the same bearing of 320deg it will also hit that ship in the same place. (As long as speed and AoB are still the same and Gyro is 0deg)

Why, this is because in a triangle "the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides".

Where a = length of Torpedo run (Range to impact point)
b = Target distance to impact point
c = Bearing line to Target
A = Target (travelling from A thru C)
B = U-boat
C = Impact Point

So as long as the 2 Targets are travelling the same direction at the same speed and you shoot at both along the same bearing line both torps will fire straight out (Gyro 0 = No torp calculation tor turn required) they will both arrive at the same impact point on both targets. (Its the same triangle only 4x bigger)

Not the best explanation but hope it helps
Old 06-24-11, 01:32 PM   #1630
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Reaper dude.....I hope not to annoy you here. Maybe I am misunderstanding something here.If you are firing at a bearing of 320deg,how can you have a gyro of zero degrees.Is the the gyro the amount the torpedo will turn when it leaves the bow to align with its correct path?
Old 06-24-11, 02:34 PM   #1631
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
Yes, Gyro andle is amount the Torpedo will turn after leaving the Tube.

Having Gyro Angle set to Zero and firing when aiming at Bearing 320 allows for travel time for both Target and Torpedo ti meet and the impact point at the same time.
Thanks Beast,that eases my ind that at least gyro angle is what I thought.I am confused still but the TDC doesn't confuse me.This just means that its hard to teach something over a forum.I will watch some more videos and see if I can figure this out.
Old 06-24-11, 05:33 PM   #1632
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

WTF I am drunk and responding to ghost messages??????
Old 06-25-11, 07:44 AM   #1633
postalbyke
Chief

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 1

If you have questions about non-HAHD stuff, there's an entire forum just for that sort of thing, with plenty more people reading it... I read it every day, in fact, just for kicks...
Old 06-25-11, 11:51 AM   #1634
reaper7
sim2reality

Quote:
Thanks Beast,that eases my ind that at least gyro angle is what I thought.I am confused still but the TDC doesn't confuse me.This just means that its hard to teach something over a forum.I will watch some more videos and see if I can figure this out.
Hi Mate just did a quick video to show the Fast90 with gyro at 0deg.
Hope this explains your question

Old 06-25-11, 12:23 PM   #1635
mkIpetrucci
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

reaper, great video, mate!