SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-08, 10:45 AM   #136
lancerr
Loader

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

Got it- thanks a lot for that info.

I'm assuming if I wanted to make an optics mod for the bb (without affecting standard sub play), that i would create a new node in cameras.dat - let's say BBgunview and add a reference to BBgunview in some file in the PocketBB mod directory?
Old 04-30-08, 10:50 AM   #137
Bewolf
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
It's not difficult in itself, but for such a big ship it would require either big compromises or big work. Basically, for a normal sub, in the .zon file you have boxes with x-y-z coordinates based on their parent 3D model (the hull for most of them). Each box also have an individual armor level and a "zone type". Say that zone type is "206", open zones.cfg, 206 is "UbtEngineRoom", go to that zone's text block and you have the detailed info (flooding time, hitpoints, armor etc). The upc/upcge file of your sub does the connection between the sub model hitboxes/zones and the damage screen (among other stuff), for example find the "engine room bulkhead" for a u-boot, you will see that it's linked to the zone "206".
Each submarine zones is linked to a compartment or a functionnal subsystem (engine, torp tube, radio, whatever).
The problem with the AI ships is that they use totally different sort of zones useless for subs (like fireworks and stuff). Basically you would need to delete all the "boxes" in the .zon file and redo them from scratch. Then create new zones in zones.cfg adapted to the battleship or modify the existing submarine zones and link them to the boxes in the .zon file.
To get your new hitboxes coordinates you just need to export the hull and view it in 3dsmax or the like, decide where you want to put which compartment/subsystem box and set the coordinates for each box in the .zon file with S3D.

Good luck
Though that left more question then it actually answered, I am not intending to give up that fast. Would a prog like wings 3d work? And where do I find the 3d model of the ship?
Old 04-30-08, 10:56 AM   #138
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

The ship's 3d model is located in the dat file, you can extract it with the latest s3d
Old 04-30-08, 11:12 AM   #139
lancerr
Loader

Downloads: 21

Another question - shell splashes. Do you know how they are calculated in SH4? Is it based on Ammo type + Speed + Angle of Incidence?

The reason I ask is that I notice varying levels of shell splashes, even from teh same gun so it seems more than a standard setting for all ammo.

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to increase the shell splash height of the 11 inchers.
Old 04-30-08, 11:15 AM   #140
Bewolf
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
@Lancerr, I'm afraid that bit isn't possible, the number of cameras available seems to be hardcoded.

Bewolf, yep I guess any 3d soft will do. You need to open the .dat file and export the model as obj with S3D, and import in wings3d (don't bother with the uv map stuff). Then you use the coordinates relative to the model to define the size and position of the boxes in the .zon file. for example, say your 3D model is 6 units long on the Z axis (60 metres in game). If you set "z max 6" and "zmin 5" for the box in S3D, the box will be 10 metres long from the tip of the bow. The problem is that you have no visual indication You also have to be careful of the parent ID of the "zonesctrl" controller. If it's linked to another node like a lifeboat, you need to pick the coordinates from the lifeboat model.
Rgr. I am a complete noob at that but darn if this won't work I'll bite myself. The Scheer needs propper damage control
Old 04-30-08, 01:32 PM   #141
miner1436
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 3

Could you place star shells in the place of HE shells on the big guns? The AA shells work fine, I enabled them as a test.
miner1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 01:42 PM   #142
W4lt3r
Ensign

Downloads: 43

I think it is possible.. just swapping the Shell IDs in the gun's own folder.. But then how long their fuse lasts and so.. You might end up revealing you'r own position to the enemy if they dont fly far enough
W4lt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 02:27 PM   #143
Xantrokoles
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 13

Data/UPCDataGE/UPCUnitsData/Weapons.upc:
[Weapon 21]
ID= 11in_Soclu
NameDisplayable= 28cm Drillingsgeschütz
FunctionalType= WpCannon
WeaponInterval= NULL, NULL
WeaponSlotType= NULL
AmmoTypesAccepted= 105mmHEGer, 105mmAPGer<-- add here your wanted ammuniton
AmmoTypeLoaded= NULL ;Needed as a save info on the current state of the submarine
AmmoMagazineRemaining= 0 ;Not used
AmmoMagazineSize= 1
LeadersSlots=1
WeaponCrewMembersSlots= 7
ExternalLinkName3D= 11in_Soclu
Hitpoints= 100
;DamageDescription1= Taken_DamageType, MinDamage, MaxDamage, MinMaintenance, MaxMaintenance, chancefactor, Message, Spawned_damage_HP, Spawned_damage_AP, Spawned_Damage_Type, EfficiencyReduction, repair_skill, repairtime_in_hours
DamageDescription1= NULL, 0, 0.2, 0, 1, 1, Jam, 0, 0, NULL, 1, 0.3, 0.2
DamageDescription2= NULL, 0, 1, 0, 0.5, 1, Chamber Explosion, 50, 5, NULL, 1, 2, 10 ;skill over 1 for unserviceable/destroyed gun

Old 04-30-08, 02:30 PM   #144
W4lt3r
Ensign

Holy cow, now i can pimp my Deutch to be a Pocket Yamato Battleship instead
Thanks Xan. I'll have that Improved Radar up by tomorrow.

Wait a minute.. if we know this... Can we finally have an submersible Iowa class Submarine?

*Edit* Just tried and seemingly did i screw up somewhere.. i changed the changed ammunition into 16inHEUS, 16inAPUS and then changed the shell IDs in the Pocket BBs weapon sim file... I didnt really see any difference in damage.

Can someone verify does this work?

Last edited by W4lt3r; 04-30-08 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 04:35 PM   #145
clayp
The Old Man

Downloads: 340
How about a playable AMERICAN BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 04:38 PM   #146
W4lt3r
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayp
How about a playable AMERICAN BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Iowa should be next in line. Incase you hadn't followed this mod for a while..
Old 04-30-08, 04:43 PM   #147
miner1436
Grey Wolf

A BB would be boring, you would be invinceable without AI torpedos and they are slow. A light cruiser would be more realistic.
Old 04-30-08, 04:44 PM   #148
W4lt3r
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner1436
A BB would be boring, you would be invinceable without AI torpedos and they are slow. A light cruiser would be more realistic.
Well, if it's an Light Cruiser. Atlanta it must be. gotta love 14 5" barrels per side. although the 2 wing turrets are gonna be a trouble.. Unless we take oakland and just increase the aa amount in the place of the wing turrets.. also the thing carried tri or quad hold mk 17 torpedoes i guess..

Length: 541 ft 0 in (164.9 m)
Beam: 52 ft 10 in (16.1 m)
Draft: 20 ft 6 in (6.2 m)
Speed: 33.6 knots (62 km/h)
Complement: 673 officers and enlisted
Armament: 16 × 5 in (125 mm)
9 × 1.1in guns (22.5mm)
8 × 21 in torpedo tubes

Or then the Oakland:

Length: 541 ft
Beam: 53 ft
Draft: 26 ft 6 in
Speed: 32.5 knots
Propulsion: 75,000 shp, Geared Turbines, 2 screws
Complement: 802 officers and enlisted
Armamament: 12x 5 in, 12 x 5 in,
8 x 40 mm,
16 x 20 mm guns,
6 x 21 in torpedo tubes

I'd suggest though making the oakland, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle with the wing turrets. and it has moar AA guns too.
But to get this ship to become proper Atlanta/oakland, we have to get those dual purpose cannonade systems to work as AA guns and Anti ship guns.

I just only took the info from wikipedia, i'll study tomorrow proper sites on the Atlanta/Oakland.

Last edited by W4lt3r; 04-30-08 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 08:15 PM   #149
The Fishlord
Planesman

Downloads: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner1436
To tell you the truth I would LOVE an Iowa or Yamato (maybe that's overkill, Fuso then). I want a giant ship that can one-on-one a task force without significant damage. These two fit the bill. Since the big guns take so long to reload on the Graf Spee just about four DDs engaging at long range can often kill you.
The Fishlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 08:53 PM   #150
miner1436
Grey Wolf

To tell you the truth I would love to be in command of this