SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-19-08, 08:44 AM   #136
snakeyez
Last Man Down

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloef
A cramped unhealthy atmosphere?

U.S subs had airconditioning and fresh food.....i think that mostly goes for other submarine services but not the U.S one,although being aboard a sub is allways a drag.

Ok,so a movie about the U.S.S Drum.
And they are making the inside pretty again,well i wish they would do something about the bow hull section and the starboard torpedotube door,since they are missing and rusted away.

Hell ,if somebody would pay my ticket and get me into a local machine shop i would do it myself voluntarely!!
Tom Bowser and Lesley Waters are working on her daily! Come by SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG and see what they're doing.

SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG - These are the submarines in your neighborhood! Get involved, they need you.
Doyle Blalock - the life of my WWII submarine veteran grandfather.
Drum228.org - devoted to the Gato-class museum sub USS Drum (SS-228) complete with war patrol reports, historical info, and restoration progress.
snakeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-08, 09:02 AM   #137
Kloef
Weps

Downloads: 30

Great site,gonna look into it!

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/
Kloef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 07:57 AM   #138
Carl Lyons
Watch

Downloads: 0
Default USS Seaviper Jungle Scenes

http://tc.yourhub.com/Jupiter/Storie...ry~522450.aspx

Here is the link for the latest article on the film.

Thanks,
Carl Lyons
Carl Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 12:43 PM   #139
Carl Lyons
Watch

Default Sailor Says Goodbye

http://tc.yourhub.com/Jupiter/Storie...ry~526121.aspx

Link to the latest on USS SEAVIPER the Movie.

Best,
Carl
Carl Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 05:02 PM   #140
Pulver
Nub

Downloads: 173
Default In Harm's Way

And no one should forget IN HARM'S WAY.

I just visited the building used as the morgue where Kirk Douglas' character goes to review the remains of his wife. It really was a morgue during the Vietnam war and is now a military surplus store on Sand Island, Oahu.
Old 01-16-09, 05:16 PM   #141
A Very Super Market
The Old Man

Necromancy is frowned upon in most societies. Do not ressurect what should not be ressurected.

I've never even heard of this movie...

The entire German garrison of Vanviken, right here in your thread!
A Very Super Market is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 05:49 PM   #142
snakeyez
Last Man Down

You've never heard of this movie because it is still being created.

The film crew is supposed to be back at the USS Drum sometime in the near future for more filming, last I heard.

SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG - These are the submarines in your neighborhood! Get involved, they need you.
Drum228.org - devoted to the Gato-class museum sub USS Drum (SS-228) complete with war patrol reports, historical info, and restoration progress.
Old 01-16-09, 11:16 PM   #143
LiveGoat
XO

Downloads: 439

I can't believe I missed out on this. Would loved to have auditioned for it.
LiveGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-09, 01:33 AM   #144
jazzabilly
Planesman

Downloads: 11

This looks like yet another Hollywood attempt to make a competent submarine movie. I will bet a day's pay that it will be craptastic.
Old 01-17-09, 01:39 AM   #145
jazzabilly
Planesman

Downloads: 11

[quote=Faamecanic]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody34
HBO films...the series Band of Brothers... may not be a 2 hour movie (its like a 14 part mini-series) was EXCELLENT. for those that havent seen it...it follows a group of us 101st (I think) Airborne, Easy Company, from training, to being positioned in the UK, through D-day, and the end of the war.

Great thing is each episode was introduced with the actual guys (to include thier squad leader (2nd lt) who eventually became thier company commander). who fought in the battles.... VERY cool for realism, as well as very sobering when the soldiers found Berknau (spelling?) concentration camp near the end.
It was very good; suitable level of gore, and quite a few of the central characters buy the farm or are hideously wounded.

Not to nitpick, but they discover Landsberg Concentration camp. The other historical inaccuracy however, is that they take the Berghof which was actually destroyed by bombing. Besides that, the 3rd Infantry captured it, not the 101. Poetic license, I suppose.
Old 03-02-09, 08:15 PM   #146
snakeyez
Last Man Down

I understand that more filming for USS Seaviper will be underway sometime within the next couple of months.

Even more exciting to me is the upcoming "The Untold Story" documentary on the USS Drum (SS-228) in production by the same crew!

http://www.ussdrum228story.com

The documentary is supposed to be released in 2010 with partial proceeds going towards the restoration of USS Drum.

They have interviewed many Drum veterans and are still working hard on this documentary.

Please keep it in mind, as I'm sure it will be an interesting look at WWII submarine life and it will also help upkeep the Drum, which is in need of help as most of you know.

Old 03-02-09, 10:09 PM   #147
Max2147
Seasoned Skipper

Well, as long as it's helping keep USS Drum in one piece, I guess it's worth the trouble.

I might get hanged from the nearest tree for saying this, but I loved Down Periscope. It didn't have an ounce of accuracy in it, but it's still hilarious if you can suspend your disbelief.
Max2147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 01:59 AM   #148
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkas
"The Bridge on the River Kwai" is actually a british/UK film - but still awesome!
Yes a good movie but very off the mark as to what really happened and the real rail bridge was steal not wood like it was in that movie it is an insult to allied POWS of Japan to be honest go to the D-Day museum in New Orleans they have some very good docs there about the war and they are graphic no kiddies allowed inside I saw some WWII vets walk out and others where crying it was that good. This Seaviper sounds pretty stupid and I dont know myself it seems kind of scamish the USS Drum procedes thingy . I will pass thank you on both if you want to really help any old sub I say go to its location or look it up on the web and ask to donate yourself directly thats the best way to do it. This Seaviper sounds like it is low budget like this sucker is a G movie when most are A or B movies even if it is legit not much money is going to be made.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 02:05 AM   #149
A Very Super Market
The Old Man

Wait, why is it an insult to POWs?

IRL, Saito was portrayed fairly accurately as a not sadistic camp officer.

The entire German garrison of Vanviken, right here in your thread!
A Very Super Market is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 02:17 AM   #150
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Uh I am guessing that you are being sarcasitc? you could always use a little or a to throw somebody a bone. Casue that might ahve been a good movie but it was way off like most movies are but sadly it seems that many people base historical fact on movies very often. If you are being serious dont waste your time with me as I know I am right just to let you know. That last sentance was not sarcasim.

@ the guy that was bieng picky on Band of Brothers that show was based on a book by Stephen E. Ambrose that was 100% factual and he wrote the book after talking to many of the men who where in 101 506th E company and they filmed an hour or so long doc where they spoke with the Easy company guys that are still alive and the producers and Ambrose all went through to make sure the things shown where accurate and they checked with the Easy company men as well. they where at Berchtesgaden the city that the Berghof was near not the Berghof itself which was bombed though soliders did go to look at it. http://www.ww2-airborne.us/18corps/1..._overview.html
http://www.ww2-airborne.us/units/506/506.html make sure that you read the entire pages.

Last edited by Stealhead; 03-03-09 at 02:47 AM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote