SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-21, 07:57 PM   #1
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Wait, what? That would be a huge problem as TWoS introduces so many .dat format ships that such issue would seriously degrade player's capabilities.

Ok I made a quick test with Zinbu freighter shooting 6 magnetic torpedoes at it... Well, only one detonated (and from external camera it might have gone too shallow and touch the ship). Might just have been a case of bad luck but if not, that's a bummer.
Okay, I have performed a quick forum search and after all it seems I was wrong:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...&postcount=325

Sorry for having spread misinformation and good hunting with magnetic torpedoes on dat units as well as on GR2 ones
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-21, 02:50 AM   #2
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Okay, I have performed a quick forum search and after all it seems I was wrong:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...&postcount=325

Sorry for having spread misinformation and good hunting with magnetic torpedoes on dat units as well as on GR2 ones
Thanks for looking it up, that's a relief

It's also an important information for modders, because if I understand TDW's post correctly it means ship's "sensitivity" to magnetic torpedo depends on how it's collision spheres are set up. At a quick glance, existing TWoS ships vary greatly in this regard:

kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-21, 09:08 AM   #3
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:

It's also an important information for modders, because if I understand TDW's post correctly it means ship's "sensitivity" to magnetic torpedo depends on how it's collision spheres are set up. At a quick glance, existing TWoS ships vary greatly in this regard:
Yes, in torpedo sim file there is a max magnetic detonation range parameter, but according to the post by TDW, the density and dimensions of collision spheres below ship keels are also an important factor. This is good, because I suppose that the actual magnetic detonation range varied depending on ship mass and even on building material (wooden hulled boats shouldn't trigger any magnetic detonation); by making spheres to stick more or less from each ship's bottom, we can simulate this.
Is there any information available on German pistol's average magnetic influence ranges?
Old 02-23-21, 11:42 AM   #4
Muckenberg
Planesman

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 0

Good day
if I understand the question correctly, you are interested in how far from the hull of the ship the magnetic detonator should have initiated the detonation of the torpedo?
I'll look at the materials I have available.
Muckenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-21, 12:03 PM   #5
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckenberg View Post
Good day
if I understand the question correctly, you are interested in how far from the hull of the ship the magnetic detonator should have initiated the detonation of the torpedo?
I'll look at the materials I have available.
Yes, exactly.

An interesting essay that might contain some answers:
https://digitalcommons.georgiasouthe...99&context=etd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
great informative post....errrrr: & I'm awfully partial to that magnetic color,

If you ask me, more radioactive than magnetic, but Yoda likes it...
Old 03-15-21, 04:33 AM   #6
Rosomaha
Loader

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 1

Wow, this topic with questions did not go into oblivion. This is progress and good.

Hi, everyone, and welcome back.

I understood you correctly: the mechanics of the torpedoes remained the same as in the original game with the same shortcomings, but TDW made a solution to the issue with “magnets " by changing the Spheres and Boxes, namely, taking their geometric boundaries outside the 3D models in the files of the destruction zones in individual ships-units?
Rosomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 05:19 AM   #7
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosomaha View Post
I understood you correctly: the mechanics of the torpedoes remained the same as in the original game with the same shortcomings, but TDW made a solution to the issue with “magnets " by changing the Spheres and Boxes, namely, taking their geometric boundaries outside the 3D models in the files of the destruction zones in individual ships-units?
No, if memory serves, fixing the issue required an hardcoded patch, but the patch alone is not enough: some ships require their collision spheres near the keel to be adjusted for them to be subject to magnetic detonations...
Old 02-23-21, 11:58 AM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:

great informative post....errrrr: & I'm awfully partial to that magnetic color,

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote