SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-12-20, 05:32 AM   #1
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0

It was almost unwatchable.

It's hard for me to believe that Tom Hanks could be involved in something this bad. Hanks' previous work as a producer in Band of Brothers, The Pacific and as an actor and producer in Saving Private Ryan were all beyond reproach.

One has to wonder if anyone involved in this movie ever watched Das Boot? Or read up on U-boat tactics during WW2. I'm going to say they didn't or decided to ignore basic military history to make a Hollywood version of reality.

I give it zero stars.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 05:42 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post

It's hard for me to believe that Tom Hanks could be involved in something this bad. Hanks' previous work as a producer in Band of Brothers, The Pacific and as an actor and producer in Saving Private Ryan were all beyond reproach.

One has to wonder if anyone involved in this movie ever watched Das Boot? Or read up on U-boat tactics during WW2. I'm going to say they didn't or decided to ignore basic military history to make a Hollywood version of reality.

I give it zero stars.
Agreed

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 11:03 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post

I give it zero stars.
like I said...'poetic license'. Entertainment only and better than U-571. Also, did uboats harass/threaten convoy commanders on their radios?!! as depicted in the movie. By that period the Germans knew their transmission were trackable, just not how accurately on 'huff-duff'. I cannot find anything, if there is anything, on the subject. BOTTOM LINE: I go to movies for entertainment, and I was. Bloopers and all...with two gin & tonics! EDIT: I did pickup on the command dialog: "come to port, handsomely"; a new one for me and my Catalina captain/gin-mixologist. Looking it up this AM: it means "full rudder in direction order carefully, without jamming the rudder(s)" My captain mockingly says from now on when tacking...we will: "prepare to come-about...handsomely". Having actually lost a rudder(snapped at the lower pintel while tacking) in 4' whitecap waves, causing much loss of control, handsomely would be good! Thus, Mr. Hanks has taught me something new!! One star!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 07-12-20 at 11:34 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-20, 02:43 AM   #4
DJS4000
Hauptmann

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
like I said...'poetic license'. Entertainment only and better than U-571. Also, did uboats harass/threaten convoy commanders on their radios?!! as depicted in the movie.

absolutely not. even the very idea is egregious and goes against every imaginable u-boat SOP.
Old 07-16-20, 05:55 AM   #5
Levyathan89
Soundman

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS4000 View Post
absolutely not. even the very idea is egregious and goes against every imaginable u-boat SOP.
Did u-boats even have the technology to "call" other ships like they do in that movie? Because normally, sending sending radio messages meant sending mesages in morse code as far as I know.
Levyathan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-20, 01:10 AM   #6
DJS4000
Hauptmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levyathan89 View Post
Did u-boats even have the technology to "call" other ships like they do in that movie? Because normally, sending sending radio messages meant sending mesages in morse code as far as I know.

good question. i had to dig through my stuff to verify it, but yes! you are correct. type vii boats used a Telefunken S 406 S/36 transmitter (plus a low powered Lorenz 40K39d as a backup) which could only transmit in the so called "A1" and "A2" modes - which is morse code. no voice.

IIRC voice comms were only possible from the type XXI onwards.
Old 07-22-20, 05:11 PM   #7
CommissarStarfish
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

At the end of the day, it's a movie. Subs are close to all of our hearts, but for movies everyone needs to suspend their disbelief and just enjoy it. Personally, I find the flaws to be in the writing; Hanks' character was paper thin and unrelatable. But to call it a piece of garbage and unwatchable for a little bit of Hollywood embellishment is an overreaction.
CommissarStarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-20, 03:38 AM   #8
DJS4000
Hauptmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommissarStarfish View Post
At the end of the day, it's a movie. Subs are close to all of our hearts, but for movies everyone needs to suspend their disbelief and just enjoy it. Personally, I find the flaws to be in the writing; Hanks' character was paper thin and unrelatable. But to call it a piece of garbage and unwatchable for a little bit of Hollywood embellishment is an overreaction.

oh it's definitely not "unwatchable". but i think it's ok to criticize the movie based on the very particular knowledge that we here possess

another thing that came to mind: the trailers spoiled the "kicker" at the end - that this is Hanks' first atlantic crossing as a DD skipper. the way this information is presented is supposed to surprise you when he gets relieved.

i hate it when they do that.
Old 09-10-20, 06:00 AM   #9
DrakonPL
Swabbie

Downloads: 7

imho I give it 6.5/10

It was a nice show but it wasn't too realistic. If u have opportunity to watch it for sure give it a chance.
DrakonPL is offline   Reply With Quote