SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-14-19, 11:02 AM   #1
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Oh man, you make it sound like you wanna throw the towel or something.
I am pretty convinced there's an actual game to be made and it doesn't require much more on the simulation side, from what I see. That could really be a (niche) winner.
Amiral Crapaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 11:28 AM   #2
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiral Crapaud View Post
Oh man, you make it sound like you wanna throw the towel or something.
I am pretty convinced there's an actual game to be made and it doesn't require much more on the simulation side, from what I see. That could really be a (niche) winner.
Nah, it's not that bad, but I do need a pause.
The problem is time. Things that seem like an hour job take days, day jobs take weeks, week turn into months. I'm afraid to make an actual enjoyable game of this thing in adequate time I would have to collaborate with other people.

May I ask you to try the controls? Don't want to get stuck inside an ergonomics echo-chamber with myself here.

UPD:

To crashy: Oh man, I'm pretty sure you got me there, detonator probably needs some tuning because your torp definetly homed onto me.

Last edited by Boris-Barboris; 09-16-19 at 11:17 AM.
Boris-Barboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-19, 12:27 AM   #3
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Oh you actually have a battle royale mode on-going there I see? ^^
Interesting...!
Old 09-20-19, 04:21 PM   #4
Boris-Barboris
Mate

I am honoured to introduce our one and only virtual humpback whale Ahmed. He likes to sing. Please be gentle with him.

Other than the animal-related code, I was working on the color scheme, some TMA bugs and mouse aiming of torpedoes. Now the firing parameters are much faster to come up with.

This concludes the updates of v0.0.2 release:
https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/ds...ses/tag/v0.0.2
Old 11-24-19, 04:10 PM   #5
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Default Working on AI

https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/ds...ses/tag/v0.0.3

Dedicated about 4 weekends to enemy AI. Managed to produce something resembling an easy combat bot, that only attacks what it hears, and a medium bot, that can use decoys, active sonar and tries to dodge the torps.

A little sandbox trace:

Modified the scenario, so that after killing a civilian passive bot an easy bot spawns, and medium bot spawns for each killed easy bot. All combat bots use the same Stork sub that the player has.

Torpedo range is better estimated on the client with respect to it's fuel consumption factors on different speeds.

Solution real-time phantom is drawn in TMA mode to make the process more obvious.

I'll try to work on variability for now, want to get to at least 3 submarines and 4-5 torpedoes. Hull hydrophones maybe.
Old 11-30-19, 06:40 AM   #6
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Tested loadout screen on multiple available subs, added Alfa-wannabe fast boat Lima:

Multi-antennae hydrophones appear to be working, so I gave the Lima hull-mounted linear arrays that cover it's broadsides.

Bots need a lot of tweaking, but I only had time to make them dodge not only enemy torpedoes but friendly as well.

Experimental Linux build is up, but I expect some shared library version conflicts in the wild, so anyone willing to test the build is welcome.

https://github.com/Boris-Barboris/ds...ses/tag/v0.0.4
Old 11-30-19, 07:48 AM   #7
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Neat job Boris! This game doesn't have half the attention it deserves.
Old 03-02-20, 02:33 AM   #8
stormrider_sp
Planesman

Downloads: 51

I tried installing it, but my anti virus detected something and sent the file automatically for interrogation.
Old 03-02-20, 03:07 AM   #9
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider_sp View Post
I tried installing it, but my anti virus detected something and sent the file automatically for interrogation.

Reasonable behaviour from an AV, but I won't be signing the binary any time soon. I'm afraid you'll have to add an exception.
Old 03-05-20, 03:44 AM   #10
Ildifa
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 10

Hi!

I am a longtime fan of your "AtmosphereAutopilot" mod for Kerbal Space Program, so when I first saw that this little submarine game was made by you, I was sure it was gonna be great

I think you had a great idea making DSubs more fast-paced than the usual sim, every round I played was always exciting!
My congratulations (and hopes to see it grow) to you

To show my appreciation, I made an icon for DSubs in the same minimalist art style, hope you like it:

P.S.: Is it possible to sometime hear music on the hydrophone, or am I hallucinating things?
Ildifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 03:57 AM   #11
Boris-Barboris
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ildifa View Post
Hi!

I am a longtime fan of your "AtmosphereAutopilot" mod for Kerbal Space Program, so when I first saw that this little submarine game was made by you, I was sure it was gonna be great

I think you had a great idea making DSubs more fast-paced than the usual sim, every round I played was always exciting!
My congratulations (and hopes to see it grow) to you
To show my appreciation, I made an icon for DSubs in the same minimalist art style, hope you like it:

P.S.: Is it possible to sometime hear music on the hydrophone, or am I hallucinating things?

Thank you. Very impressive torp dodges on March the 2nd, Ildifa, and yes, there is a music thing. Just wanted an easter egg of sorts to swim around.

I'll try to include the icon in the binary, looks sharp and fitting, though I'll probably tune the color if you don't mind. Well, at least until the title changes for some reason, but that will not come soon.