SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-14, 03:33 PM   #27
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Hi Mapuc,
i do not know if you even read what i wrote, about those intrusions into swedish waters.
This time, it may well be a russian sub, but back then they were most probably UK and US subs, trying to turn the swedish politics towards the west, against Russia, by imitaing russian subs, and repeatedly breaking into territorial waters.
(The only one sub that was caught red-handed, of russion origin - was the W-137 called "Whiskey" on the rocks" by the press if i remember right, relating to the Nato deignation of a russian "Whiskey" type sub being beachedwithin swedidh territorial waters).

And maybe i do not have to remind you, but since you asked about Olof Palme (NOT Palmer):

1987 New Prime Minister Olof Palme murdered on the streets of Stockholm.

Palme was fed up with the Submarine incidents and was planning to build up good relations with Russia on a nuclear free zone in the Baltic. The Russians were also very interested to improve the relations with neutral Sweden which could then act as buffer to NATO. Understandably, the Swedish/Russian relations had become quite frosty following the W-137 affairs.

The swedish Navy felt betrayed. Also the NATO and the western allies were not happy. Three days before Palme's visit to Moscow in 1987, you could see six well known faces of high ranking Navy officers on the Front Pages of daily papers with the headline PALME IS A TRAITOR.

A TV reporter interviewed Palme and raised the question:

Have you any thoughts on why the officers in the Navy do not trust the Prime Minister?
Palme replied:
"I have had some thoughts if I could trust my officers and I came to the conclusion that that I can do so - which does not includes those 6 officers in the newspaper."

Two days later Mr Palme was shot dead - the murderer is still free despite a reward on 50 million SEK.
The Swedish Television recently released a program of Palme and the murder plot. It was aired in 3 parts and was extremely well done.
The conclusion was that the murder was set up and organised by a number of ex officers, some of them later serving as police officers in Stockholm.

Sorry Catfish I had read your first answer and sorry I didn't reply.

Yes there was indication that some of these violations could have been American subs.

Palme. There are many theories about who and why and this Police-track is one of them. Many Swedes still believes it was the Police who did it.

What if I also told that the reason to why these policemen/officers should have killed Palme, was his love to Russia. They was convinced that Palme would sell Sweden to Sovjet.
Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote