SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-26-14, 07:53 AM   #1
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
All I can say is that I have learned to compensate with the 9.3 over long distance.
You can't compensate the base-inaccuracy of a rifle, though.
I do not talk bullet drop, I extra mentioned the horizontal(!) offset, which is very noticeable with the 9.3mm at "extreme" distances (theHunter related).

With other weapons I do not experience that, or not as much.
Especially the original .300 will place the round where you really want it.
It is known to be the most accurate gun ingame.

Regarding weapon weight, your assumption is correct.
A heavy weapon rests way more stable on whatever you place it and especially if put on a sandbag in prone position or something like that.
Heavier rifles also experience less impact from the shooters body movement (shaking/vibrations etc.) or heart beat.
At ~800m+ you can really see what a difference a low heart rate and shooting between two heart beats can make.
This is worse with a light rifle and much more noticeable.

The only pro argument for light rifles is that you can hold them up more stable for longer if you can't rest it anywhere. Then again, that isn't really necessary in hunting mostly.
This is also one reason why military grade sniper rifles are quite heavy, compared to civilian hunting rifles. While your average hunting rifle will weigh around ~3.5-4.5kg,
where a German army G22/AW-F (.300) will weigh around 9kg loaded and with scope.

The heavy rifles being more shaky in tH is, I suspect, a victim of the beloved "game balance".
Old 09-26-14, 08:28 AM   #2
Alicatt
Swabbie

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post

Regarding weapon weight, your assumption is correct.
A heavy weapon rests way more stable on whatever you place it and especially if put on a sandbag in prone position or something like that.
Heavier rifles also experience less impact from the shooters body movement (shaking/vibrations etc.) or heart beat.
At ~800m+ you can really see what a difference a low heart rate and shooting between two heart beats can make.
This is worse with a light rifle and much more noticeable.

The heavy rifles being more shaky in tH is, I suspect, a victim of the beloved "game balance".
Following on in to look at Skybird's lovely pictures.

I was going to say the same thing myself, my .22LR target rifle, BSA Mk2, was a lot heavier than my .303 Lee Enfield and was a lot more stable in use. Standing shooting was another matter, with the low recoil of the .22 you stood and braced different than the .303 but still I would not like to have to hold either of them up for too long.
Alicatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-14, 08:59 AM   #3
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicatt View Post
Following on in to look at Skybird's lovely pictures.

I was going to say the same thing myself, my .22LR target rifle, BSA Mk2, was a lot heavier than my .303 Lee Enfield and was a lot more stable in use. Standing shooting was another matter, with the low recoil of the .22 you stood and braced different than the .303 but still I would not like to have to hold either of them up for too long.
Thanks for the input!
And welcome to Subsim, land of crazy.
Old 09-26-14, 09:03 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
You can't compensate the base-inaccuracy of a rifle, though.
I do not talk bullet drop, I extra mentioned the horizontal(!) offset, which is very noticeable with the 9.3mm at "extreme" distances (theHunter related).
I can just say again, vertically I have learned to compensate, like I learned that with the .22 as well which has far more obvious ballistic effects beyond 50m, and horizontally I never became aware that there is a huge offset between aim point and hit point.

At 200m, the animals also is so small in the scope that you cannot aim for 5cm precision anyway, at least not in the game.

However, I now avoid such distances anyway. It now is rare that I shoot beyond 150m, and with rifles I usually get closer than 100, with the .223 even closer than 50m.

These are my stats with rifles that I used for longer than just ten shots or so. The differences are anything but stellar, the diference they do not show is my subjective impression of how easily a kill was scored by instant kill in place, or needing a long aftersearch. The 30-96 and the .300 gave me more worries in this regard.

For the rifles I use in the main, I have levels 7 and 8. So there should not be any noticable skill differences between them.

I have the impression that some rifles have more obvious gains from raising skill levels, than others. The 9.3 - I see no real difference between 3 and 8, to be honest, the wobble looks the same to me. The Bullpup at level one already was easier to aim with than the 8x57 at 7. The uplevelling of the 6.5 imo saw propgressive gains in wobble decrease.

I wonder if they really have all those details in right the way they intended the system to work. It is no game-breaking issue, all of his, but I would handle the whole system - and trophy damage and callibre - differently. It is here where the game indeed is more game than sim, I fear.

The .22 is nice due to its heavy ballistic effects, but I suck with it. And with shotguns at birds I also cannot really shine.