SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-25-11, 12:31 PM   #1636
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkIpetrucci View Post
reaper, great video, mate!
2nd this !
Old 06-25-11, 02:32 PM   #1637
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

Reaper,great video first off and thanks for helping me try to understand better.I'll be honest here and say that I feel dumber and dumber the more I play SH3.Its to the point that I am thinking I am not cut for the captains position so letting the AI take control of captains position and just playing the flak gunner or a helmsman.

You guys with the tracking of ships and plotting amazes me.I see ships and I go full steam ahead and salvo with just enough spread so that if ship turns to avoid at least one torpedo usually hits and usually all 3 since I get so close.But thats why I like this game....keeps me interested with its complexity and I want to learn all that stuff.

Ok,while the video showed me exactly that range is not very important in fast 90 I still do not understand why.I went and did a setup in game just like you did and then changed range thru the full dial of choices and the gyro didnt change as much as I thought,only the smaller gyro dial was spinning while the larger one moved very little.O now I believe but I think I just need to practice it and it will click finally.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 03:04 PM   #1638
Paulski
A-ganger

Downloads: 47

I can't wait to try the fast 90 attack So much easier to attack multiple ships in a convoy. Just 1 question; up to what range is this technique accurate enough?
Paulski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 07:33 PM   #1639
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
Reaper,great video first off and thanks for helping me try to understand better.I'll be honest here and say that I feel dumber and dumber the more I play SH3.Its to the point that I am thinking I am not cut for the captains position so letting the AI take control of captains position and just playing the flak gunner or a helmsman.

You guys with the tracking of ships and plotting amazes me.I see ships and I go full steam ahead and salvo with just enough spread so that if ship turns to avoid at least one torpedo usually hits and usually all 3 since I get so close.But thats why I like this game....keeps me interested with its complexity and I want to learn all that stuff.

Ok,while the video showed me exactly that range is not very important in fast 90 I still do not understand why.I went and did a setup in game just like you did and then changed range thru the full dial of choices and the gyro didnt change as much as I thought,only the smaller gyro dial was spinning while the larger one moved very little.O now I believe but I think I just need to practice it and it will click finally.
Thanks mate, glad it helped. As for your attack method - if it works then its a good attack . Tonnage sunk is tonnage sunk
And yes SH3 can be simple or as complex as one requires, true there's a lot to learn for the more complex stuff - even I don't know a lot of the more in-depth strategies like sonar only attacks or 4 bearings method.
But that's the fun in it - learning and finally clicking - Oh that's how its done.
Keep it up you'll make a great captain
As you mentioned with Gyro at 0 the range only effects the gyro calculation by about 2 degrees - so even at long range like 5KM that's only an error of a few meters - not enough to effect the torp missing.
Also I plan when I finish my SH5 Mod to do up a full range of Videos to show all aspects of Silent Hunter - a full set of training vids
Will do them for both SH5 and SH3 HAHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulski View Post
I can't wait to try the fast 90 attack So much easier to attack multiple ships in a convoy. Just 1 question; up to what range is this technique accurate enough?
As long as Target speed is measured correctly and the torps aren't spotted then distance is dependent on the torps range
In the Vid range was 3.2KM on the furthest ship and hit with pinpoint accuracy.
Biggest thing that will effect the Torp is not opening the torpedo doors prior to shooting. That delay can really effect long distance shots with the torp falling behind the target
But anything can happen, like target changing course etc so the closer the better when firing.
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 07:38 PM   #1640
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7 View Post
...sonar only attacks
Still working on these myself

Wonder if we have any snipers around... what's the farthest you've shot from Reaper?

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 07:46 PM   #1641
reaper7
sim2reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwieger View Post
Still working on these myself

Wonder if we have any snipers around... what's the farthest you've shot from Reaper?
The way I use sonar , I most likely only torpedo myself
Furthest I shot from would be 10KM, furthest I shot and hit something was from more likely 5KM but that was with the scope
Old 06-26-11, 08:48 AM   #1642
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Thanks Reaper,yes its as complex as you want it to be and that makes it excellent for longitivity of gameplay.I am starting to play with some realism stuff turned on though as I think I jumped in too fast.Using NYGM though and map updates on is still very vague and you cant zoom in to see heading of ship as they disappear.
Old 06-26-11, 02:39 PM   #1643
reaper7
sim2reality

Finally got the Labels redone for the Panels:

Redone them all in 4 Veraities so something for everyone
  1. English
  2. English - Deutsch Gothic
  3. German
  4. German - Duetsch Gothic

Last edited by reaper7; 06-26-11 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-26-11, 02:58 PM   #1644
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

COOL
Old 06-26-11, 03:02 PM   #1645
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Keep it up Reaper

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 03:35 PM   #1646
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
The reason that range does not matter at 0 gyro angle, is that, while the torpedo will have to go farther at longer range, so will the target. The range therefore 'drops out' of the firing solution. When you shoot at say 30 deg. gyro angle, the torpedo must leave the tube then turn to its proper course. Your periscope view at 30 deg. will not coincide with the torpedo track for this reason, and a gyro correction is necessary. (Sometimes this is called parallax error.) The amount of the correction depends on the range (a greater angle at short range). If you could bolt torpedo tubes to the top of your periscope, the range wouldn't matter, as they could be launched on any line of sight bearing and wouldn't need to turn. This can be readily visualized if you imagine trying to torpedo a satationary target only 500 meters on your beam (90 deg. bearing). The torpedo would have to make a very sharp turn (much greater than 90 deg.).

I hope this makes sense.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 05:39 PM   #1647
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
The reason that range does not matter at 0 gyro angle, is that, while the torpedo will have to go farther at longer range, so will the target. The range therefore 'drops out' of the firing solution. When you shoot at say 30 deg. gyro angle, the torpedo must leave the tube then turn to its proper course. Your periscope view at 30 deg. will not coincide with the torpedo track for this reason, and a gyro correction is necessary. (Sometimes this is called parallax error.) The amount of the correction depends on the range (a greater angle at short range). If you could bolt torpedo tubes to the top of your periscope, the range wouldn't matter, as they could be launched on any line of sight bearing and wouldn't need to turn. This can be readily visualized if you imagine trying to torpedo a satationary target only 500 meters on your beam (90 deg. bearing). The torpedo would have to make a very sharp turn (much greater than 90 deg.).

I hope this makes sense.

Dude thanks for that,it explains it well!!! If the bearing stays the same the farther away the ship the farther it is from zero gyroangle.....

Reaper my budYou guys continue to make my day and I will drink a beer on your behalf.Or maybe ship you some good stuff...then again being Irish you pretty much have access to great beers anyway
Old 06-27-11, 11:59 AM   #1648
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

Beautiful art, my friend!

I already dig the Gothic style!
Kudos!

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 12:10 PM   #1649
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Wolfstriked,

if you are interested in these matters, further interesting reading can be found here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121744
Old 06-27-11, 12:28 PM   #1650
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Wolfstriked,

if you are interested in these matters, further interesting reading can be found here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121744
Very Kool guys Your two posts opened up my brain to what it was stumbling on,and I thank you!!