SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-11, 06:58 PM   #16
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0

Can't wait to see Paul. I'm a huge Frost/Pegg fan, but yet I haven't seen spaced. If you're curious, the guy that directed them in Hot Fuzz and ShaunOTD, Edgar Wright, who also directed some Spaced episodes, did a 2 hour interview with Kevin Smith (Jay and silent bob, Clerks, etc) on a Smodcast podcast, moviemakers. It's a really good listen, you can download it for free via itunes. I listened to it in the car to and from work.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 07:00 PM   #17
Growler
A long way from the sea

Downloads: 21

ooo...

May have to look that up!

Also - vienna - do you know which theater, and where?
And pledge to love and beauty.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 09:12 PM   #18
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Frau Kaleun:

Don't know where you are located (Midgaard would be on great place to be), but you would love it here in Los Angeles (filmwise at least). Tarantino recently bought a movie theater that was almost closed after the owner died unexpectedly. The theater is one of the better revival hiuses in the area and was a real labour of love for the late owner. Tarantino had been a frequent patron over the past many years and bought the theater to prevent it being sold and possibly demolished. He refurbished and remodelled the interior and exterior while keeping the original feel and has taken a very active role in the scheduling of films.
Oddball he may be, but I can totally see Tarantino as the right man to get behind a project like that.

I'm in southwestern Ohio. We used to have a repertory theater in downtown Cincinnati that played all kinds of cool stuff - documentaries, foreign films, cult favorites, revivals of classics... they even set aside time every so often for a "bad film festival" where they'd show things like Plan 9 From Outer Space and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Once I found out about it I managed to get there a few times before they closed. Favorite memory is of seeing Casablanca there one Valentine's Day when I talked a boyfriend into making the drive. He got in terrible trouble for taking the family car into the city (we were still in high school) but, hey... Casablanca on the big screen!

The "franchise" theater that used to be in the big mall near me had a special "classics" matinee once a month, but of course it was on a weekday when I was at work so I could never go.

There's one other place downtown that has a more varied line-up but it's mostly the less mainstream current stuff, they don't bring back the classics as far as I know. Thank heavens for Netflix.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 12:57 AM   #19
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

I watched some reruns over the weekend

'One flew over the cuckoo's nest' Execellent movie. The Nurse Ratched

District 9

Bladerunner - um seen this back in the 80s loved it, come 2011 thought it sucked real bad - to slow for me this time round, I fell asleep half way through.

Outlander - A man crash lands on earth during the Iron Age bringing him a alien predator known as Moorwen. The outlander forms an alliance with the primitive fierce warriors - the Vikings. Not bad as far as Viking flicks go.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 01:42 AM   #20
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

The wife and I watched Iceman - i hadnt seen it since i was a kid.

its a mid 80s flick about a team of arctic scientists conducting research for a petroleum company who discover the remains of a 40,000 year old neanderthal encased in ice.

The science team intends to perform an autopsy to determine the reasoning behind his perfect preservation. During the process they discover that his blood and tissues are somehow filled with a naturally occurring chemical that prevents cell damage during freezing. With obvious implications to cryogenic freezing for the space program and medical industry they go forward with the plan when suddenly their equipment picks up trace brain activity, stopping their procedure they elect to attempt to resuscitate the neanderthal - and their resuscitation attempt is a success.

Now that the science team is wrestling with moral and ethical issues, the prehistoric man is locked into the base camp's bio-dome like wildlife refuge until these issues can be worked out. In the mean time, Dr. Sheppard - one of the science team members and expert on ancient intuit civilizations enters the refuge and attempts to befriend and communicate with the iceman.

Despite the iceman's obvious lack of understanding about his situation, and the difficulty encountered in the massive language barrier he begins to show signs of understanding that he is not where he is supposed to be and at one point - tiring of the constant tranquilizing, abduction into the medical ward, examinations and the constant wondering about his own people and family he begs Sheppard to kill him and becomes frustrated, saddened and angry when Sheppard refuses.

As the iceman becomes increasingly desperate to understand his situation - a situation he could never fathom - Dr. Sheppard tries to think of a way to help the iceman find a way out of the confusing and tormenting hell he has awakened into.

its a shame how little attention many good 80s movies get.

Iceman is a very sad, fascinating and thought provoking movie, hitting theaters about 7 years before the remains of "otzi the iceman" were discovered in the otztal alps in northern Italy.
Old 03-30-11, 02:05 PM   #21
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

The theater that Tarantino now owns is called "The New Beverly Cinema" (he kept the old name). It has long been a revival theater and almost always shows two different movies each day (a 'double feature' as we older folks call it). I saw the "Das Boot" Director's Cut version there last year and enjoyed the film very much, but I would have loved to have seen the uncut version on full theater screen much more.

I have also had a long time interest in Japanese films and Los Angeles once was probably the nation's best place to see Japanese films on a full size screen. There used to be three theaters affiliated with major Nippon studios here: Toho La Brea (Toho Studio), Shochiku Kokusai (Shochiku Studio), and the Linda Lea (Toei Studio). The Toho and the Shochiku presented mainly classic Japanese films by major directors, although the Toho would occasionally show movies considered to be less artful, 'Zatoichi', etc. The Linda Lea showed triple-features of purely popular films broken down as one 'chambara' (kind of like samurai meet western meets kabuki), one yakuza, and one more film, usually either a 'pink' (a softcore, R-rated type sex farce) film or an over-the-top violent action-thriller that was kind of like a live action manga comic book. These theaters are all gone now, victims of the home video boom in the eighties, but while they were around, I was able to see many, many of the great classic films as they were intended to be seen, on a full theater screen. My most vivid memory was seeing "Kwaidan" at the Kokusai. The theater manager came out before the showing to announce that due to a delivery error, the final sequence would not be shown. This was the famous 'Earless Hoichi' sequence featuring an amazing battle scene shot to mimic the artwork of Japanese block prints. Refunds were offered to those who did not want to see an incomplete film, but only a few people took up the offer. The film is made up of four separate ghost stories and when the third one was nearing its end, quite a few people started to leave the theater. I am one of those people who stays for the end of the credits. Instead of abruptly ending, the missing segment suddenly appeared on the screen. There was a wild rush of people from the back of the theater to reatke their seats and I could even hear some voice yelling to those who had already made it out the front door. The manager later told me the missing segment had made it to the theater just before the end of the third segment and he did not have the time to make an announcement. I felt sorry for those who took the refunds or who left early and were out of the theater out of earshot.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 03:23 PM   #22
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Hangover II Trailer is out:

Looks like exactly same plot, but still looks funny. I'll wait till dollar theater though.

Old 04-01-11, 03:35 PM   #23
The Third Man
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuer Frei! View Post
Robert De Niro playing a crazed taxi driver, with a chip on his shoulder.
Not at all. If you have seen the opening credits you would know 'crazed' is not the truth, nor is the 'chip'. It is about a man who cannot live in a city(metaphore for world) which allows obvious misuses of the freedom imparted on it.
Old 04-03-11, 01:56 PM   #24
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Saw the 3rd movie in Yamada's samurai trilogy the other day (Twilight Samurai, Hidden Blade, Love and Honor).

Liked it quite a bit. Definite improvement over Hidden Blade, which was, IMHO, just recycled story of Twilight Samurai but with not nearly as good cast.

I'm drunk as a baboon, so I can't be arsed to give a too long of a review, but it was good. One thing that might hit the viewer AT FIRST is the age of the main actor, he seems young, but trust me, after the incident (it happens early in the movie, so this not much of a spoiler) where he goes blind, it's interesting to see how he visually starts looking older. There's no make up (atleast not much), but you can see it all from his eyes, how he is depressed by the situation etc.

That's all I can be arsed to write, it's not as good as TS and most websites rank it below Hidden Blade, but it's the 2nd best film in the trilogy if you ask me.

PS. Oh and there's some very nice visual stuff to see, to make the viewer feel sorry for the main actor after he goes blind. You have butterflies flying around etc. that you think are pretty peaceful and beautiful scenery, but he can't see it. Very nice touch IMHO.

Today, I'm gonna finally see Kagemusha and if I'm still in condition, Harakiri.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 01:58 PM   #25
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

OT: Nice avatar, Gargamel.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 04:15 PM   #26
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
OT: Nice avatar, Gargamel.
ty...

Old 04-03-11, 04:23 PM   #27
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
I'm in southwestern Ohio.

I didn't know you were that close to me!

The things you learn by browseing topics.
Old 04-03-11, 04:33 PM   #28
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post

I didn't know you were that close to me!

The things you learn by browseing topics.
I thought you were way up in the north of the state?

But I guess in terms of the international membership here, being in the same state does qualify as "close."
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 04:45 PM   #29
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Quote:

But I guess in terms of the international membership here, being in the same state does qualify as "close."
He seems to say that every time he finds a fellow Ohioan.

Old 04-03-11, 04:49 PM   #30
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

I guess I should define 'my' idea of close.

You are close because I could get there in a few hours.

Neal is a bit farther then close, but close enuff I can get there in a long day.
(Been there, done that)

Jimbuna is nowhere near close! In fact he's pretty far off!
(Not just in the mind, mind you!)
I can't drive there.

So,
Your within a single stones throw.
Neal is beyond a single stones throw.
Jimbuna don't have to worry about stones thrown at him.