Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-23-10, 05:49 AM   #1
TinCanWolf
Sailor man

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Great Naval Battles 2-4?

Okay, I've actually found GNB1, and 5 working and was able to play them using DOSbox. On the other hand, all the copies I've found of GNB2-4 are basically inoperable no matter what I've tried.

I actually own a copy of 2, but it's in my dad's garage 30 minutes away and I really don't care to make the round trip at the moment.

I was so addicted to Silent Hunter I when I found GNB2. We had this old hole in the wall Game store in like '97 in Sellersburg, IN. They sold old games, and I saw GNB2 and just had to buy it for like $20 bucks. Never regretted it. Great game and series.

I would be immensely happy if someone took the game, made it 3D and just left the interface largely intact.

U-64/7th Flotilla
USS Helm DD388/2nd Fleet
TinCanWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 06:02 AM   #2
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

I've been able to run GNB2 and 4 on Dosbox but without sound, never got them to work with it.
Old 03-23-10, 06:12 AM   #3
TinCanWolf
Sailor man

I have what seems to be a rip of the CD, but I can't install it. It freezed on readj.exe or some crap like that, which is the first file it tries to do anything with.

GNB4 will actually install but then it sayins "Missing bank" when I run it.

U-64/7th Flotilla
USS Helm DD388/2nd Fleet
Old 03-23-10, 09:03 AM   #4
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Jar my memory, which one is the Guadalcanal/solomons one? That one was a lot of fun.
Old 03-23-10, 09:42 AM   #5
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Jar my memory, which one is the Guadalcanal/solomons one? That one was a lot of fun.
I do believe that was the 2nd one. The first one was about the Atlantic surface war, the second about the Solomons campaign, the third about the rest of the Pacific (IIRC), the fourth again about the Atlantic (Also the Baltic and Mediterranean) with the new engine and the fifth was about WWI.
Old 03-23-10, 10:32 AM   #6
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have GNB 2 through 5 working in the DosBox fine except 5 has no sound. GNB 2 was the best of the litter in my opinion, never owned GNB 1 and GNB 4 looked like it was slapped together by Barbary apes drunk on Guinness. These games were great fun and with a better AI, might have been spectacular.
Old 03-24-10, 02:45 AM   #7
TinCanWolf
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
I have GNB 2 through 5 working in the DosBox fine except 5 has no sound. GNB 2 was the best of the litter in my opinion, never owned GNB 1 and GNB 4 looked like it was slapped together by Barbary apes drunk on Guinness. These games were great fun and with a better AI, might have been spectacular.
2 was awesome. Loved trying to stop the Tokyo Express as it tried to land troops and supplies. You also had to be very good at getting your transports into Henderson at night, and unloading your supplies and getting out before daylight broke and the Japanese Air Raids came in.

I remember the first time I played and I landed during the day and ended up losing half my fleet of transports to some Japanese torpedo bombers. How much of a challenge was it to save a transport ship with only 2 repair crews after sustaining a torpedo hit? Man that was so much fun though.

Is there anyway by chance you could send me the files for at least 2? 3 and 4 would be appreciated, it's however you feel about it though. I'm pretty sure all the games are abandonware now, but sites like Amazon still have them for sale although they always have 0 in stock.

U-64/7th Flotilla
USS Helm DD388/2nd Fleet
Old 03-24-10, 06:25 PM   #8
j_o_nn_y
Loader

Downloads: 58

I actually have Great Naval Battles: The final fury that I could sell.
j_o_nn_y is offline   Reply With Quote