SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-08, 09:46 AM   #1
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 203
Uploads: 0
Default My views on the SH4 U-Boat Addon

I've been playing this addon for just over a week now, and I've read the vast majority of the posts concerning it. It appears to be the same people complaining about the same things from when stock number 4 came out.

Now fair enough, each are entitled to their own opinions about something they spent their money on, but I get ratty when you get the few who start spouting "Yet another disappointment" or "Screwed again by Ubisoft" or something to that effect. What these people fail to realise is that Ubisoft has funded yet another development into a niche genre (and for $10 at that) and its pretty much encompassed what we wanted to get from it.

Now I know there are lots of bugs, but trying to develop software that calculates positions of ships in a ridiculously huge expanse of terrain, calculating how fast they should sink, and how they should react when hit in specific areas, torpedo properties, deck gun shell properties, crew attributes etc. etc. wont be without errors. I actually think its physically impossible to get it even close to perfect on the first try, and that's why it needs the input from people who maybe have more time to dedicate to it than the developers, who have to work on the next project when they churn out this one.

My point is, we've experienced exactly the same problems before, and look what we got. SH3 and GWX has to be a simulation to rival Flight Simulator, but it took time and effort to get there.

And dont say "Well the devs had plenty of time to fix errors", because no, they didnt. We had a completely new graphical engine for SH4 (and admit it, if we didnt, alot of people would accuse it of being a SH3 expansion) and an entirely new theater. So it must've basically been like making SH3 from scratch again.

All I'm saying is give it time, give the devs your support, and enjoy the game for what it is. Totally a hint towards multi-theater SH5.