SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-16, 07:52 PM   #24
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
Hi Texelbo,

20 000 polygons for chains and anchors is really a lot. Anchors, chains and related fittings of the model I am working on have in total 10 000 polygons (and I'll keep them ).

The trick Alex ist refering to is to seperate the model into smaller parts, for example in case of two sets of anchors with chains you split those two. Then you create one 3D-related chunk in the *.dat file, with all materials plus the 3D model of that single set of anchor and chains. Next, you create a second 3D-related chunk, with all materials BUT you do not attach a 3D model but use the ID of the first model: enter it at Linked 3D model where it reads Model ID (just above the box of the materials).
For reference, see privateer's/jeff-groves' Seaforts (GWX) or any of my recent models (opitcal instruments are repeated in that way).

Stupid thing, however, the trick does not work easily with anchors and chains because of being not identical but mirrored ... but you may split the model into submodels of the anchors plus parts of the chains and then recreate the entire arrangement in S3D with repeated instances of these submodels. Quite some work but it will save plenty of polygons. I think, it is worth the try !!

Cheers
Thanks for your help at explaining the whole process, Mr der_Frosch.

By the way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
Stupid thing, however, the trick does not work easily with anchors and chains because of being not identical but mirrored ...
Is it ?
I mean, anchors are the same object on both sides, the only thing one needs to do to make it look right on both sides is duplicating the object and rotating it the proper way, as far as I know...

edit

(Yet the shadow map would not look good on one side, so the object would have to be mirrored indeed. )
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote