SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-16, 10:18 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Questions on the unusual use of a smartphone

I do not own a smartphone, only a simple emergency callphone of cheap - but reliable - kind, a Samsung E1150i.

It now seems to reach the end of its lifespan after I repeatedly abused it (I dropped it twice onto the tarmac), and I consider to replace it.

I used a prepaid card for it. I have no need at all to invest into a regular full contract with monthly fees and data volumina for download, I do not need mobile internet on a cellphone. The attraction value of such things for me is exactly ZERO - What I use, however, is a digital camera sometimes, and sometimes my separate tablet for GPS-based navigation, using a WLAN-exclusively tablet and Osmand with offline maps saved on the device - no online needed that way.

That are two devices, and when I count the cellphone as well, it are even three. Also, when on tour a 7" tablet still is not really small.

I therefore take into account the ioption to get a simple smartphone of smaller size, which offers me a good camera and reliable GPS sensors.

Questions:

1. When I do not put in a sim card, obviously I cannot go online and cannot telephone. Would I however be able to install software on the device via WLAN, like for a WLAN-only tablet? I need to get Osmand onto it, and stored maps for offline use. Effectively I am talking about a WLAN tablet with GPS and camera - just of much smaller size than a 7" device.

2. What if I put in my old card from my old cellphone, the prepaid card? Can I then use a smartphone at least for telephoning (I do not expect and probably would not get online functionality this way) until the cash reserve is all spend?

3. And finally, what cellphone models would be serving my purpose: being accessible via WLAN, offering a good camera at least with 8 Mpix and solid picture quality, and reliable GPS sensors - and being significantly smaller than a 7" tablet while not costing a fortune? Forget the usual high profile suspects, I will never convince myself of spending 500 bucks on a telephone with display and some gimmicks - price should be below 200 Euros, clearly.

As I said, I never cared for smartphones and so do not know much about them, that's where my probably naive questions come from. Being online while mobile is the least of my concerns. Usually, my simple cellphone I have right now is switched off - that much I need mobile connectivity.