SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-13, 03:51 AM   #1
scudder
Sailor man

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 2
Default Convoy decision

So I was on my second patrol of the war, Oct. 1939. I came across a huge convoy, and at it's center was the HMS Rodney. I had arrived ahead of the convoy, and the seas were pretty choppy, so I was able to get in position close and perpendicular to the convoy's direction of travel. I had 4 torpedoes left, all in the forward tubes, and my choice of targets as about 1/2 to 2/3 of the convoy was within ideal range and at the right AoB at the same time. There were several smaller merchant ships, a few medium tankers, one or two large tankers, and the crown jewel massive battleship in the center. I chose to go for the gusto and fire on the Rodney. I put all 4 () torpedoes in her side, and she went down before too long.

I felt pretty good, until I realized I just let the entire convoy of materials and fuel proceed on to Britain unharmed. So what would a Kaleun do IRL? Sink the battleship so the next convoy isn't as well protected, or try to get at as much merchant tonnage as possible, even if it means letting the battleship get away scott free?
scudder is offline   Reply With Quote