SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-10, 04:33 PM   #1
Thrair
Helmsman

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default Problems with Steam Version

I had played Silent Hunter 4 before on my Stepdad's computer some years ago, and had enjoyed it. So, needing a good single-player game I could spend time on, I remembered it and decided to buy it (as SHV's DRM can stick it where the sun does not shine).

As most of my games are purchased via steam, I checked to see if it was on there. Voila. Not only that, there was a sale for a pack that contained SH3, SH4, and the U-boat expansion for SH4.

Unfortunately, since installing it (which went well enough, although I had to verify the game cache for both the Expansion and the game proper), I have had continuous issues with the game.

The game gets laggier and laggier with each patrol I do. Usually after 3, I can no longer exceed time compression of around 2000x without the game beginning to lag and risk a CTD. After around 5 patrols, the game becomes virtually unplayable.

I have to reverify the game cache each time this happens, and it does fix the issue, albeit temporarily. The trouble is that this corrupts my save games. The exception being saves done while in port, which *often* are loadable afterwards.

And again, this is temporary. Once I do a few more patrols, the problem arises once more. I have tried uninstalling numerous times. I have been quite thorough on several of these attempts. Doing the registry clear and everything.

I've looked it up online, and from what I gather, this problem does not seem to exist for people who buy hard copies of the game, but people who purchased it via steam have frequent problems of a similar nature.

To sum up..... *whimpers*.... Halp.
Thrair is offline   Reply With Quote