SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-10, 07:26 PM   #11
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Nagara, OTOH...

Interestingly, there are MANY ships listed under 23a in ONI-208J, and quite a few are very close in size. There are varied mast arrangements, too. Quite a few have platforms built around the base of a goalpost mast. This looks distinctive, and should be easy to make (even for me).

They will be "kitbash" ships, but I can certainly make several variants of Nagara, though highly unlikely for the first release.

Still, it is heartening that at least one ship has room for decent numbers of variants.

Partially as a note to myself: later in the war, as we have some Standard Type ships to use, I will have to either decommission some ships, or make many variant types of Wartime Standards. Look at the Type E for example. While technically a coaster, they were pressed into service over longer trips, and there were hundreds of them. They should be incredibly common, but as you guys are aware by now, ships appear randomly 1/n where n is the count of same-classed ships in that nation's roster. If you have 20 merchants to pick from, but 2 types represented 80% of ships afloat, you'd need to have loads of clones of the 2 "popular" types to have anything like a realistic set of ships at sea.

It;s amazing that this wasn't fixed even for SH3. The only way around it is to eliminate variability, and explicitly name ship classes in the missions. They added "rare" types, but of course unless you use this in the mission files... that's a big change for RSRDC, for example. You'd need to move all the rare merchies to that type, then only change a % of groups to have a chance at some (or replace a few 102s in each group with a chance for rare tyoes, instead).
tater is offline   Reply With Quote