SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-16-11, 08:00 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Free versus payware security software - don't be cheap!

I have learned my lesson.

I already posted this as a reply in another thread, but since it is a new theme in itself and may be of interest for many people here using freeware security solutions, I post it again as a separate thread.

--------------------
I run XP on a PC.

I also do maintenance for the notebook of my Mom (Vista), and have just installed a new one for a friend of my parents (W7), checking out his old one first (XP). On all these, and my system as well, Avira Free AntiVir was installed plus free firewalls by Zonealarm or Comodo. No scanning results. I learned the lesson to switch all systems, including mine, to payware Avira Premium Security Suite after learning that Tahoe free scanners for example to not guard email traffic (didn't know that before). And immediately on all systems malware was detected, and critical internet traffic was blocked and reported.

The difference between the free versions of Virus-Scanners and Firewalls, and payware suites, obviously has been underestimated by me. I would recommend now to everybody to walk on the safe side of the road and always run full versions of according security software, not just free solutions.

I also learned that the Comodo firewall, which once was rated as very good, in the recent 12 months or so has found to be extremely leaky (German PC magazine reporting this in a test, I think it was c't). The Comodo firewall, and their scanner as well, was found to be sensationally unsafe.

--------------------

I add this:
until end of February, Avira is combining its suite with a free copy of TuneUp2010, it costs you nothing and is the full version. Running it many modules helped tremendously to clean all systems, the including registry cleaner and defragger found hundreds of entries that CCleaner for example never found, and the included harddrive defragger software in quality mode does a tremendously better job than the Microsoft tool that communes with XP, Vista or W7. You can also launch basic cleanup operations in a row with just one click. Very nice and recommended program! It offer many other easy-to-use and reliably working system optimization tools, too.
Old 02-16-11, 09:41 AM   #2
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

I use Microsoft security essentials
works quite well
when i download files off the internet, i almost always scan it with an online scanner like http://vscan.novirusthanks.org/

Host based firewalls and IDSes are quite unnecessary in my opinion
Your NAT is your best firewall, because if your hiding behind an overloaded NAT, it is impossible for hackers to connect to your computer. also if possible, use network firewalls and network IDSs
Old 02-16-11, 10:41 AM   #3
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I use Avast and Windows Defender. Never had a problem.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 10:55 AM   #4
Respenus
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

I've used Kaspersky for many years now and since then, not a problem in site. Right now I'm using Kaspersky PURE and even though it is a tad on the expensive side, and Kaspersky is well known for using up system resources like crazy, the additional tools and protection sure come in handy. You would newer guess how many legit, everyday sites have bugs hidden in them.

Respenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 11:42 AM   #5
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

Avast FTW.
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Explorer (MSI GL63 8RE-629 Laptop):
Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
JSLTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 12:54 PM   #6
Kaleun
Chief

Downloads: 266

hi,

If (like me!) you're in a Barclays ibank customer (internet banking) they are now offering a 3 machine commercial Licence of Kaspersky Internet security 2011 valid for one year for FREE per customer!

Works a treat!
Kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote