Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-18-18, 08:48 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 224

Default Russian 'election'

I won't be able to stay up late and see who won, can someone post that for me?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43088445
Quote:
Alya has decided to vote on 18 March. But only out of curiosity - she has never been to a polling station before.

"I don't really believe in democracy," she says, lowering her voice a little.
Yeah, apparently not.
Old 03-18-18, 10:12 PM   #2
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Trump in an upset win.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 01:12 AM   #3
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Exit polls show Putin taking about 75% of the vote.

Big surprise.
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 03:59 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Trump in an upset win.

As I've stated on more than one occasion on this forum....Putin is a democratically elected dictator.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 06:35 AM   #5
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

RIGGED

And the winner of the 2024 Russian election is...PUTIN.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 07:16 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

America lets people choose between Antrax and Ebola, Russians could vote for Ebola, and Germans get the Antrax anyway that they have deliberatedly voted against.

Ancient Greeks heard only 5-15% of their city residents - the male, free and wealthy ones - in hearings and for majority votings. Only these few were "citizens" eligible to raise their voice and cast their vote.
Old 03-19-18, 07:39 AM   #7
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
RIGGED

And the winner of the 2024 Russian election is...PUTIN.
It's not rigged. Since there are no other candidates, the partaking 73 percent indeed must have voted for him

No surprise.. anyway after what happened after 1989 the west is to blame for a good part. Should i really quote Sky , well in this case:

"What many already forgot is that Putin, when he took over from Yeltzin, has ended the chaos of the era after the Sovjet Union's fall. Initially, Putin worked for and tried to bring Russia closer to Europe, on equal eye levels. But then the West betrayed him two times. First the Western predators tried to extract as much loot from the weak new-Russian economic environment as possible and tried to keep the new Russian state and its adminsutraiton out of stable control, and second the West promised to not move up towards Russia'S borders, and naive as they were at that time, the Russians believed that. They got betrayed, and Putin learned to lessons. First, give the West the opportunity to erode and abuse Russia'S wealth and economy, and it will do so, and second: Western promises and verbal agreements do mean nothign and are not worth the air it takes to speak them out.

Putin delivers on the Russian desire for national pride. He sorted out the hostile economic sell-out of Russian property and ecnomy at the cost of allowing oligarchic crime and corruption taking control of parts of the economy again while making it clear by setting several examples that these oligarchs are tolerated, but better do not take on the state itself in their greed,
else they, individually, have to pay the highest price. All the revitalising of the Sovjet cult and Stalin cult needs to be seen in the light of all these factors that the West allowed to form and that the West even supported. The West is not as innocent as it claims in creating the situation as it is today. Putin initally did not start to go this way - he reacted to the bitter lessons he got taught by the West - by fallign back to proven Sovjet controlling schemes and reactions."

(from: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...4&postcount=73)

May i add that Putin is meanwhile a prisoner of his own politics. Who else should govern Russia and hold extremists, terrorists and crime at bay? Can a real democratically elected government without having to fear "secret service cleanings" deal with it, or would it all go the way of the Weimarer Republic?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 08:45 AM   #8
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Sorry but I wave the B.S. flag on the 'not one inch' westward NATO expansion broken promises excuse. Even Mikhail Gorbachov said the agreement was to allow for the timely removal of Russian forces from East Germany and former Soviet bloc countries, that's it, end of story. Russia got time to peacfully remove itself from Eastern Germany and in return left you Merkel.

Number two NATO expansion westward is based on invitation and the acceptance by independent nations. Those independent nations DO NOT require the permission of Putin.

Poor little Russia, horse crap. They made their bed now lie in it.
Old 03-19-18, 03:21 PM   #9
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
It's not rigged. Since there are no other candidates, the partaking 73 percent indeed must have voted for him
But there were seven (7) other candidates

Quote:
Beside President Vladimir Putin, seven other candidates were allowed to run the race. Two of them - Vladimir Zhirinovsky and Grigory Yavlinsky - have run against Putin in the past.

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 07:25 PM   #10
Méo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Putin is a democratically elected dictator.
Yeah..

And that sums it up pretty well.

Méo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-18, 06:53 PM   #11
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Trump in an upset win.
How did HRC do?
Old 03-25-18, 02:09 PM   #12
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
How did HRC do?
She did quite well actually ... Hillary got a new hairdo with the $500,000 her husband Bill received for speaking engagement in Russia.

Putin has a new girlfriend ... I hope she's a CIA operative :

https://pagesix.com/2018/03/25/this-...utins-new-pet/

Putin seems to have a new favorite — stunning blond Victoria Lopyreva.

Quote:
Miss Russia 2003 has been given the cushy job of official ambassador of the FIFA World Cup, to be held in Russia this summer.

Putin has two grown daughters from his first wife, Lyudmila, and is rumored to have three kids with former Olympic gymnast Alina Kabaeva.

I reported two years ago on Alisa Kharcheva, a calendar pinup who sent Putin a birthday greeting in a blog titled “Pussy for Putin,”
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 05:09 PM   #13
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Russia and Russians need a strong leader elected or not

Everyone bangs on about freedom of this that the other, lets not forget that in 2000 Putin was elected democratically after Yeltsin (even though Yeltsin named him successor).

Until 1991 Russia never knew what a democracy was it was in the living memory of no one alive, they had always had one dictator or leader or Tsar who made the decisions.

Under Yeltsin Russia not only went to the wall the country filed for bankruptcy in 1998 corruption was rife people were not paid for months shortages were common.

The only times you had shortages in the USSR was in the mid and late 1980's and the great patriotic war, i remember travelling in the 90's over there you could buy literally anything for USD $ if you could un bolt it carry it tow it cut it you could have it didn't matter if it was state owned or not.

Russia changed in 2000 it stopped being that country yes theres still corruption but law and order are restored and crime rates are down, whats more people are getting paid and paid well now.

Russia in today world is the 12th largest economy in the world and that like it or hate it is largely down to Vladimir Putin.

Now i am not saying i whole heatedly support all his policies but the transformation from the 90's to now is very noticeable, babushkas don't wait in long ques for bread anymore because there's stores with excess in them

I took a walk in Gum a little while ago coming even from the UK some of the stuff in there i couldn't afford Gucci Prada Jimmy Choo's are all there and making huge amounts of money.

Do i think the election was rigged? most certainly Putin is the strong man of Russia he is well liked in Russia would he have been voted out if it was free and fair elections? i don't actually think so.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-18, 03:15 AM   #14
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

I think what Kapitan wrote makes a lot of sense!

On one hand Russia needs a strong leader, because its civilian society is almost non-existent. There are worse people than Putin, waiting for their chance.
What we can accuse Putin of is that he does nothing to develop "his" country, on the civilian and democratic sector. We also know this is not easy, after centuries of absolutism and dictatorship, nationalism and the Stalin cult.
But we also know he is in a dead end, who should come after him?

There are of course a lot of mostly young people who are sick and tired of all this, but this is not the majority, and they hold not enough power to change century-long prejudice and exaggerated patriotism.

But again, let's not bedevil Putin. He is after all a reasonable man, while with "reasonable" i do not mean pacifist, or pro-west. But he will be open for reasonable talk. He is much more dependable than China.
We just should not stop talking and negotiating, it will help all much more in the long run.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote