SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-10, 06:35 PM   #1
LostDream
Sailor man

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0
Default Cant hit "§$%&

Evening guys and girls.

Im having a problem with my current patrol. I am trying to use my Deck 8,8mm to engage targets below 2400 tons and torpedoes for anything above that. The last three merchants I encountered where a real pain.

I learned in the Marines to understand very well the effect gravity, powder charge, humidity, barometric pressure, and just plain human error has on crew serve weapons. When you call for a danger close fire mission, those details become very, very important! But in game, I can not for the life of me, get my deck gun to fire straight on the first salvo.

I would approach a target at night. Come to within 1K yards and be 90° on his Port side. Man the gun, with two PO with Deck Gun badges and a sailor with Flack Gun badge, zoom in and get a good sight picture / sight alignment. After that, I would ask my WO for distance to target, adjust my elevation and fire...and watch the round go 5 to 10 mils either left or right!!!
After this, of course the merchant is all up in arms, dodging and weaving for his life, while Im trying to "Kentucky Windage" my rounds on target.

Am I doing something wrong? Why is it that my first round is always off center and way the heck off! I would understand if the round was short / long, but when you place the ship square on the gun-site just to watch the round sail FAR left / right of your target is very, very frustrating.

Im really thinking of sending this bunch of slackers to the Panzergrenadier boot-camp so they can learn how to properly use their weapon!
LostDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 08:34 PM   #2
Lord_magerius
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 96

I think it's becaues your WO is looking for a solution for a torp. Best thing I find is to, find your rang using th UZO and then working with the rang that gives you, drop about 100m off at between 1000m - 1800m and you'll have a decent waterline shot
Lord_magerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 09:15 PM   #3
Immelman
Sparky

Downloads: 5

First off remember to lead you target. Depending on you position and range in relation to the target and your relative speed you may have to lead by alot or very little.

Second and most important factor is the state of the sea. No swell, little swell, heavy swell make all the difference and you have to compensate for it.

In the Marines I would bet you were shooting from a ground location. Now you are shooting from the deck of a Uboat. Whole new ball game shooting from a very unstable platform. There are 3 deck gun views regular (can't see s@@@ unless you are close say 500m. 1st zoom level can see and target up to 3000m. Extra zoom can actually see and target up to 6-7km.

We are interested in the second setting. Why you ask? Simply because in this one you can see your gun bore on the left side of you screen going up and down as your Uboat heaves up and down with the relentless waves.

That's right you guessed it you must time you shots when the barrel of the gun is more or less centered in the horizontal position and not when its pointing at the moon or aiming at the fish.

The bigger the swell of the waves the harder it is to shoot. The more off the center-line of the Uboat the deck gun is turned the more you feel the unstabilizing effect of the swell.

Patience is the key word here. Wait for the right moment to fire your shots and eventually you get in sync with the motion of the swells and hit the bulls-eye.

That's all you need to know now go out there and practice what you have learned

P.S. In moderate to heavy swell never let your drunken sailors fire the deck gun no matter how may qualifications they have. All you are doing is wasting you ammo. Fire manually you chances of success are far greater.

P.P.S. As the war advances this becomes more of a challenge, the merchies start firing back with better and more numerous guns as the war progresses. They also call in avaialble air support or surface ships in the area (50 km radius).
Old 04-21-10, 12:22 AM   #4
Weiss Pinguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 101

Personally I find that the worse the ocean state, the easier it is to just eyeball the rounds in just using the crosshairs. After a while you can get a good idea of where to aim for certain distances, speeds, etc. Of course, if the weather's good enough, then the optics are the way to go.

Although, if your shots are going ridiculously far left/right then your deck gun may be bugging out... I remember a few people complaining about that a while back. I think what happened was the deck went under while they were traversing the gun, and that threw off the gun's aim somehow, causing the shells to go waaay off-target. I can't remember the solution though.
Old 04-21-10, 02:04 AM   #5
toodrunk
Seaman

Downloads: 11

Your gun is stabilized, watch it out of the corner of your eye as you're aiming. The barrel will be in 1 spot then all of a sudden pitch up, as it exceeds the stabilizing ability of the mount. (At least in stock. Dunno if this is true for GWX, haven't used it yet.)
toodrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 02:59 AM   #6
LostDream
Sailor man

Downloads: 72

Thank you all for the replies =).

As some of you have stated, the guns elevation, up and down pitch, does change depending on the see conditions. I have learned to take my time and timed my shots. Taking my time keeps me from either just shooting over my target, or scaring the heck out of Nemo and family .

My problem is not with the elevation of my deck gun, it is with the traversing of it. When I fire my first salvo, though I may have the target dead centered in the sights ( by this I mean hitting tab once so I can see the barrel rise and fall to time my shot ) the round once fired would sail either ahead or behind the target. Sorry for the run-on sentence

I like to fire either from a 90° position to my target or to match its course / speed. I press the "Closses visual target" key and have my WO yell out distance and bearing of the target, this way I know how far away the target is and can adjust my guns elevation.
LostDream is offline   Reply With Quote