SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-26-12, 12:28 PM   #16
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

I have to update my patcher app so that it can patch .act files. Currently I have it hard-coded to sh5.exe. I'll make it so that it reads the file it's supposed to patch from the patch file
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 12:57 PM   #17
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
I see some problems with the GR2 units as far as collision spheres go and magnetic detonators. Since almost all the GR2 units have a sphere in the middle of the ship and nowhere else (on the root node) the magnetic detonator will only detonate near the middle of the ship. We'll have to add collision spheres to all the GR2 units (ships) so that the entire unit is covered
Just out of interest, is that the same thing that caused the wonky sea floor collisions? Or is it something different? Just made me think of it is all.
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 01:15 PM   #18
Captain Joe
Seaman

Downloads: 563
Uploads: 0

Im no expert but just an idea, is that not maybe why the subs are not taking DC damage to the hull?
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 01:16 PM   #19
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rpheus View Post
Just out of interest, is that the same thing that caused the wonky sea floor collisions? Or is it something different? Just made me think of it is all.
Possibly. I've been watching the 'collisions' in the debugger and I can see everytime an object collides with something. I've haven't really dove deep into the sea floor collision yet though (I know when it happens though because it triggers a breakpoint). Right now all I cared about was finding the routines for collisions and I found them.

Patcher app updated and I have patched my shcollisions.act file. Now testing in game
Old 04-26-12, 01:20 PM   #20
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Possibly. I've been watching the 'collisions' in the debugger and I can see everytime an object collides with something. I've haven't really dove deep into the sea floor collision yet though (I know when it happens though because it triggers a breakpoint). Right now all I cared about was finding the routines for collisions and I found them.

Patcher app updated and I have patched my shcollisions.act file. Now testing in game
Quite right too, don't let me distract you It just made me think of the testing I did back then and I've learned (as I'm sure you have too) to trust those little sparks of connection that sometimes fly

Looking forward to seeing this implemented
Old 04-26-12, 01:23 PM   #21
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Alright, testing works! I fired torpedo at NLL ship (GR2) with magnetic detonator turned on. As soon as the torpedo was under the keel kaboom! Now I wanted to see if I switched off the magnetic detonator what would happen. So with magnetic detonator turned off I fired another torpedo at NLL. Torpedo passed under keel without exploding I fired another torpedo at NLL this time with depth set to 1m (surface). Torpedo exploded on impact with ship.

Did all the same tests with dat style units and they passed also. Look for release here very soon!
Old 04-26-12, 01:27 PM   #22
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

It's great to hear that the magnetic torpedo issue is almost fixed. Not trying to complicate things, but how has the realistic magnetic pistol dud rate been factored in or is that a challenge for later?
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 01:31 PM   #23
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinrich Schwab View Post
It's great to hear that the magnetic torpedo issue is almost fixed. Not trying to complicate things, but how has the realistic magnetic pistol dud rate been factored in or is that a challenge for later?
I see where it checks for duds in the code but that'll be for later

Now there is one anomoly with GR2 units and magnetic detonators - when the torpedo explodes from magnetic detonation the unit will incur damage BUT there will be NO visible signs of damage to the hull WHEN viewed below water (camera is below water). When camera is above water you can see the damage to the hull. Minor annoyance

EDIT: just tried with impact detonation and same thing happens. Guess I never noticed this before.
Old 04-26-12, 01:37 PM   #24
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
I see where it checks for duds in the code but that'll be for later

Now there is one anomoly with GR2 units and magnetic detonators - when the torpedo explodes from magnetic detonation the unit will incur damage BUT there will be NO visible signs of damage to the hull WHEN viewed below water (camera is below water). When camera is above water you can see the damage to the hull. Minor annoyance

EDIT: just tried with impact detonation and same thing happens. Guess I never noticed this before.
That's actually pretty funny considering a clean under-keel detonation can potentially break a ship's back outright.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 02:10 PM   #25
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

You can find the new version of the patcher and the patch file for the broken magnetic detonator here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...39&postcount=1
Old 04-26-12, 02:33 PM   #26
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joe View Post
Im no expert but just an idea, is that not maybe why the subs are not taking DC damage to the hull?
Enable the patch and see if the sub takes damage now

I overrided the missing item in the GR2 files that the game was looking for. If this item doesn't exist the game doesn't check for collision - if no collision then no damage.

I have no idea what all is impacted by this change so we have to test it and see what is now working/not working/etc.
Old 04-26-12, 03:01 PM   #27
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174

That's really good news TDW!

Glad to see you working with this, as it's the the biggest bug in SH 5 currently. Maybe I have some free time to test this in the weekend. Sounds promising!
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 03:16 PM   #28
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloaded, will test alongside IRAI .36 shortly
Old 04-26-12, 03:32 PM   #29
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rpheus View Post
Downloaded, will test alongside IRAI .36 shortly
IRAI v37 is releasing here very soon. This will hopefully keep the capitol ships out of the way
Old 04-26-12, 04:36 PM   #30
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
IRAI v37 is releasing here very soon. This will hopefully keep the capitol ships out of the way
Blast, yes just seen it! Updating..