SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-06, 06:17 PM   #46
Kiwi Zero Six
Bosun

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

I tried to raid Dover this morning. Decided to have a look around with periscope. As the thing goes up but what do I see...MINES. On either side of me. Rather close, too.

Deciding that running away is the better part of valour, I retreated. Got pinged by a DD on the way out, sank him (shouldn't sit still directly behind me at 600m, mate) and got a small tanker on my way back to base, too.
Kiwi Zero Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 10:46 PM   #47
Shahed
Planesman

Downloads: 2

GW is an AWESOME mod, and I'm loving it immensely. I was lucky enough that I installed it on my 2nd patrol. SInce then I've been glued to Sh3.

The only thing about harbor raiding is not enough protection.

Air patrols, DDs, and surface groups should be in the vicinity, and should respond. I can stay for days surfaced in Scapa Flow, no kidding. Actually make that the whole duration of the war. I've even been reloading my external torps sitting peacefully in a corner of Loch Ewe in broad daylight. In reality every Brit with a shovel would come and dig a very deep watery grave for that kind of Uboot which surfaced within a stone's throw of the beach.

Did I mention that I surfaced in Norfolk and deck gunned a warship ? (can't remember what it was). Ok, that one cost 45% Hull Integrity, and thankfully no wounded or killed. That's the way it should be. Hit the surface button by mistake btw, I am crazy but not THAT crazy. In this case there was some response and I had company from the outskirts fo the harbor rushing in.

It should be virtually impossible to raid a port, except under certain "right" circumstances which open a small window of opportunity, occasionally. By this I mean Naval bases, merchant ports should be better defended as well.

Of course we all want to have fun so it should still be possible, but not in the way it is now. Now if I have a really bad patrol guess where I end up offloading my 20 leftover fish.... Loch Ewe.

Now having said all that, I know, thanks to the posts from the GWX team, how the response system works in SH3. I know how much work is involved in creating a working set of parameters for this to work.

GW ROCKS ! Keep up the great work guys !

Last edited by Shahed; 09-07-06 at 10:50 PM.
Shahed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-06, 12:47 AM   #48
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahed
The Nelson, I think I sunk it 3 or 4 times in my one and only campaign to date (still running). It does respawn. In fact, here's what you do sink it and then go 36 kms away from Loch Ewe, and then return You'll find it in the same place. SInk it again and you won't get the tonnage (thank goodness). But it will be there sitting big fat Foi Gras duck.
Sigh. I wonder how many times one will be able to sink the Yamato/Musashi over the course of a career in SH4? Damn, I wish they'd do IJN subs for that one.
Old 09-09-06, 09:57 AM   #49
Hakahura
Grey Wolf

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Downloads: 0

Well New York is still my favorite but Norfolk comes close. Just like melnibonian said, quite hard to get in, I got grounded a couple of times on sandbanks that cost me some hull integrity plus alot of attention from the noise I made getting off. But after a bit of evasion, the pay off... BOGUE AIRCRAFT CARRIER . Broke its back with a salvo of 2 T1s. Then I got me a Large tanker and Large Merchantman on the way out! What a way to end a patrol! The crews moral is through the roof, singing so loud they are drowning out the gramaphone! Lots of shiny gongs all round from Bdu when we got back to St Nazaire. Next patrol we get on far side of the Atlantic we will definitly save a few fish to set swiming at Norfolk before coming home.

Sir Humphey Appleby, GCB, KBE, MVO and MA. Britain's Greatest Orator, well bar that Churchill fellow.

Last edited by Hakahura; 09-09-06 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Credited wrong person
Hakahura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 11:43 AM   #50
yobert
A-ganger

How close are you the harbor when you start to dive? I tryed dover but i ran out of battery befor i got there =P
yobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 12:15 PM   #51
Shahed
Planesman

As close as you can be, preferably 6 kms from the closest ship docked in harbor. I dive only when necessary, as the war progresses it's necessary more and more often.

Old 09-09-06, 01:22 PM   #52
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobert
How close are you the harbor when you start to dive? I tryed dover but i ran out of battery befor i got there =P
Keep your speed slow and your battery should last for hours

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 02:35 PM   #53
Shahed
Planesman

Good point. Once dived I hardly ever go more than 3 knots.

Old 09-09-06, 02:54 PM   #54
yobert
A-ganger

Thanks for helping a noob like me =) I tryed casablanca but it was to easey, Only play with 29% so far tho
yobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 09:22 AM   #55
Biggles
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 5

Hello mates! I'm totaly new on this forum (this is my first post EVER in here, so please keep that in mind when you trying to judge my noobiness).

I've been looking around for a bit, and I like this thread. I've been playing SHIII for about a year now (Realism 0%,as I said, noob) allthough my gaming comp. is broken down due to some problems with my graphic card, so I can't really play at the present moment. I want so badly right now, as I have some wild ideas about visiting the Aussies (I haven't GW yet, but it seams great, I'll get it I swear.)

Now about Greywolves.....is it any harbor activity in the docks at the original game, or is it only worth it to attack a harbor in GW???

I once tried Dover just sometime about Xmas 1939 early 1940, I took myself into the harbor at night, pitchdark and couldn't see a thing, rainy,foggy(and what I've heard from some of you there where MINES there too bloody hell, I was lucky
Anyway, I got inside, thought "Yay!" and made myself ready for a nice coupple o' kills.......it was empty....no I think it was totaly empty in there, didn't find anything, so I went out again, rather dissapointed(spelling?) had a tap dance aganst a DD, won and headed for the french coast where I sank a french (or Dutch I don't remember) merchant. well.....is Dover always empty or what?
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 11:42 AM   #56
Dillinger022
Seaman

Downloads: 7

In Grey Wolves, Dover is NEVER empty. No ports are ever empty in GW! I raided Dover in October 1939 with a Type VIIB and found 1 Dido Light Cruiser, 1 Fiji Light Cruiser, 1 Passenger Liner, 1 Troop Transport, 3 Small Tankers, and quite a few small merchants/tramp steamers. Oh and a s***load of DDs, and Armed Trawlers. You'll always find the same ships there from 1939 to 1945.
Dillinger022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 01:54 PM   #57
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger022
In Grey Wolves, Dover is NEVER empty. No ports are ever empty in GW! I raided Dover in October 1939 with a Type VIIB and found 1 Dido Light Cruiser, 1 Fiji Light Cruiser, 1 Passenger Liner, 1 Troop Transport, 3 Small Tankers, and quite a few small merchants/tramp steamers. Oh and a s***load of DDs, and Armed Trawlers. You'll always find the same ships there from 1939 to 1945.
Yes its a pain the same ships are in the same places
Its to do with the way the SCR works
A harbour can be layered to include different ships at different times
But its a real pain in the @ss to do and will bump up the scr size loads - for something a lot of players wont use
Believe me I have tried alsorts to randomise the ships but thats the only way so far

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 02:22 PM   #58
Uapa
Watch

Downloads: 20

Cape Town. It's full all the time and it's secured by 2 Flower Class Corvette.
Small Tip:
Go into this harbor from south try to have a right Light House in front of you, it will lead you in the safe way
Old 09-10-06, 02:44 PM   #59
mr chris
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 216

Am out on patrol at the moment in my VIIB i was sent to freetown. Have not found any good hunting. I also use SH3 GEN which adds so much to the game i belive. In the latest version of the programe it gives you side missions to undertake should you so wish. On my current patrol it says to go and raid Rio de Janerio and raid the harbour, this it quite away from freetown. I was just wondering if anyone has been that far in a type seven before and would i make it there and then back to carneries to refuel so i could then get back to france. At this moment iam just off freetown with just over half a tank of fuel left.
Old 09-10-06, 03:28 PM   #60
Biggles
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 5

Sorry, but....SH3 GEN????? I'm very sorry, but the only mod I have is a skin mod so.......but as soon as I get my gamecomp. working, I'll get them all! I swear! (And I will not buy 'em, I heard about that X1software stuff, bloody cheaters )
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote