SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-03-05, 01:44 PM   #1
canimo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default The deeper the safer ???

To what depth should i dive to avoid :

a. Detection ?

b. Damage from DC ?

The point is, If i am at 180m is it harder for DD´s to hear me than at 60m ??

And when it comes to DC damage ? Is it just like a guess lotery ? The DD guesses my depth and I guess their DC setting ??
Do they have a depth limit to go off ???
Old 08-03-05, 01:53 PM   #2
KodiakPA
Gunner

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

The deeper you are the more time you have to evade depth charges.
Old 08-03-05, 01:56 PM   #3
canimo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

it never crossed my mind...

think i could never be a skipper
Old 08-03-05, 02:14 PM   #4
Carcassonne
Loader

Downloads: 0

I agree, the deeper you are the more time you have to avoid DCs; however, it's a double edged sword, sure you have more time to evade but those DC that detonate near you cause more damage.

DD's use pings to determine your depth and upon locating your depth adjust their DC's to detonate in approximation of that figure. I will say that it's more difficult for them to ping you the deeper you go.

I've found from personal experience in game that you needn't go very deep in relation to crush depth to avoid DCs. I rarely go below 100m in the years '39 - '42. From '43 and on I tend to hit the 170 meters deep. There are a few reasons for that: earlier in the war it's seldom you're DC'd by more than 1 or 2 ships at a time and it's much easier to avoid detection, plus the DD's are really relying on sound. Later in the war you need the depth to change courses as I've found 5+ ships will hunt you at one given moment.

My advice, have a couple Petty officers who are repairmen in the later years, they'll save you bacon.
Carcassonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-05, 02:16 PM   #5
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Also, the deeper you are, the more thermal layers there are between you and the destroyer. A thermal layer makes it harder for him to detect you. Dive deep, select silent running mode and move slowly away.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-05, 02:32 PM   #6
Duli
Planesman

Downloads: 9

Thermal layers arent simulated into this game.
Old 08-03-05, 02:44 PM   #7
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense
Commander

with depth comes safety... and a lil coating of Albericht can't hurt either...

--Mike
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-05, 02:47 PM   #8
JohnnyPotPie
Loader

Downloads: 3

it all depends, sometimes your sound sig. can be louder at a deeper depth... it all depends on the temp. of the water. I dont know if this game does it right... best way to not get killed is to not let them chase you in the first place!
Old 08-03-05, 02:54 PM   #9
Commander

ok... you can stay up there and mess around with those dds if you want to... as for me, i'll be as deep as i can... at silent speed... enjoying the latest movies in the crews mess...

ooops, wrong war

--Mike
Old 08-03-05, 03:04 PM   #10
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21

The change to hit a sub below 100 meter is or must be diffucult than above that depth ( how deeper you are how longer the charge is on his depth where he is set on to explode)

The sink rate of the Mark 7 was a fairly slow 6 feet per second, which meant there was a very long blind time during which a deep-diving enemy sub could attempt to evade before the pattern eached it. In late 1942, a modified Mark 7 charge was equipped with added lead weight, which increased the sink rate to 13 feet per second

The sink rate of the Mark 6 was 8 feet per second. When weight was added, the sink rate was increased to 12 feet per second

The Mark 9 (1943) has a sink rate of 14.5 feet per second.

A simple feet to meter conversion is,
1 feet = approximately .3080 meters

Example: 75 ft x .3080 = 23.1 meters deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Dargo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-05, 06:34 PM   #11
Remix_
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne
I agree, the deeper you are the more time you have to avoid DCs; however, it's a double edged sword, sure you have more time to evade but those DC that detonate near you cause more damage.
I knew that deeper the better to avoid them (more time to run away, plus more drifting along the sea currents), but I had never thought that DC would also do more damage. I guess it's just because of the pressure.
Remix_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-05, 06:42 PM   #12
Fritz
Watch

100 meters, 1 KTS, silent mode = safe for me :-) (running 1.4)
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-05, 07:53 PM   #13
canimo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ok thx for all the explanation. . .

But and when it comes to detection ?? Is it harder for them to hear you at 170m than 80m ??

Plus I read somewhere that even ALL STOP wont save you, cause their sonar isn´t based on how much noise we make
Old 08-03-05, 08:03 PM   #14
Commander

well if they're pinging you... you can be as quiet as a rock... and they'll still see you...

gotta find those thermals... what!!! they don't exist in SH3... no wayyyy

--Mike
Old 08-03-05, 08:13 PM   #15
btaft
Soundman

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Carcassonne wrote:

I knew that deeper the better to avoid them (more time to run away, plus more drifting along the sea currents), but I had never thought that DC would also do more damage. I guess it's just because of the pressure.
Along these lines does anyone know if the effective radius of the depth charge is modeled as a function of depth. i.e. the deeper the depth charge goes before exploding the smaller the effective blast area (due to pressure) but the larger the effect is on your sub due to the strain that it is under if you are within that blast radius. Or is it a static value regardless of where it explodes
btaft is offline   Reply With Quote