SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-05-20, 09:30 AM   #1
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Damage repaired, still going down

I was wondering what was wrong with a situation i've been. My sub was detected by a destroyer because i increased my speed to catch up and shoot from 90° and while manuevering i was depth charged.

We had some minor damage to the propeller and in the stern quarters and while going down, we managed to repair everything. At that point, we were at maybe 90 meters under water. Then i tried to come up at various depths, 40, 50, even at periscope depth but the sub kept going down slowly. The speed was slow but 1 knot instead of 2 and silent running was on (off while repairing).

Different speeds also didn't bring us up so i blew the ballast and the sub went up then down again. I did it one more time with the same result. I considered this save invalid so i tried as a test to surface the boat and it worked. But it's not what i wanted, i wanted a slow speed and i would get away as i have done before, not a battle with a destroyer in the surface. So i had to load a previous save.

Any thoughts on what happened are welcome. Cheers.
foo_jam2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 11:34 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Despite the fact you repaired the damage the resulting loss of hull integrity can never be made 100% again until you dock your boat.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 12:30 PM   #3
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

So, the loss of hull integrity allows my sub to surface but not keep a depth? It seems strange but what do i know.
Old 12-05-20, 01:58 PM   #4
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Any flooding, i.e. ? What was the max speed you were able to do ?
Also, post your mod list.
Old 12-05-20, 02:05 PM   #5
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390

Damage to pressure hull can do all kinds of irreparable damage. Like Jimbuna said. Regardless of what you repair if your hull integrity is so low, then that usually means your pressure hall is damaged too.

Pressure hull damage is always critical damage!

One of the main reasons I never engage planes. They hit the PH and it’s over.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 09:48 AM   #6
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

I use the grey wolves expansion, version 3.0 and as far as i remember there was no flooding, there were 2 countdown timers in the propeller room at the rear of the sub so i guess 2 types of damages and some damage to the stern room.

The colour in these rooms was yellow and after the repairs, the yellow disappeared. Shouldn't i know somehow by the game that there is hull integrity damage? Everything seemed to be normal.

My speed as slow wasn't 2 knots as it is always, but 1 knot for some reason. When the sub was going up after i blew the ballast, i didn't notice the speed.

I am not the type that loads saved games all the time, i have decided to play very cautiously and if we get sunk, so be it. But i really thought that it's a bug. Do you think that if the sub would touch the bottom, i would still be able to surface it?

Thanks all for your input. I'll keep in mind to avoid aeroplanes.
Old 12-06-20, 10:30 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63

The hull integrity indicator was taken out of GWX but if you want to put it back in.....

Go to wherever you have installed SHIII (see an example below)

C:\Programs\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Menu\en_m enu.txt at position 589.

Add 589=HULL INTEGRITY %s %

Then save.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 10:42 AM   #8
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_jam2002 View Post
I use the grey wolves expansion, version 3.0 and as far as i remember there was no flooding, there were 2 countdown timers in the propeller room at the rear of the sub so i guess 2 types of damages and some damage to the stern room.

The colour in these rooms was yellow and after the repairs, the yellow disappeared. Shouldn't i know somehow by the game that there is hull integrity damage? Everything seemed to be normal.

My speed as slow wasn't 2 knots as it is always, but 1 knot for some reason. When the sub was going up after i blew the ballast, i didn't notice the speed.

I am not the type that loads saved games all the time, i have decided to play very cautiously and if we get sunk, so be it. But i really thought that it's a bug. Do you think that if the sub would touch the bottom, i would still be able to surface it?

Thanks all for your input. I'll keep in mind to avoid aeroplanes.
I take it you mean you had repair vs. flooding timers. Yes, if on the bottom you can resurface, depth dependent of course.
No, don't mess with planes. They were historically high killers of u-boats. Plane sighted = crash dive.
Old 12-12-20, 09:20 AM   #9
foo_jam2002
Sailor man

Thanks guys, i'll keep that in mind.