Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-31-22, 06:18 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Very, very weird

This has perplexed me just two hours ago, completely.

I have gotten into watches, as you might have noticed, and as a result I have a dozen wristwatches in a display case. 3 quartz watches of which are one with battery, two with solar-recharged batteries. 9 automatic m mechanical watches with power reserves between 46 and 72 hours.

Automatic watches only wind up when they are worn on the arm. If they are put down quietly, the spring tension runs off. Therefore, it is part of my daily ritual to stand at the display case for 2 minutes in the late morning and wind the watches. I never forget to do this. And if I would forget it once, the power reserve would still cover this "missing day", they would run to the fololow-upo day, three even until the next day after that.

Today, just now, I stood there and was first amazed, then astonished, and then alarmed:

Of the 3 quartz watches, one was at a standstill, one was going completely wrong, and the third was going normally.

Of the automatic clocks, 3 had stopped at different times, 4 clocks were going completely wrong, each showing something different. 2 were working normally.

In the kitchen, a battery operated radio controlled quartz clock hangs on the wall. It was going completely wrong. I took out the batterie, checked it, all ok, I put it back in, the clock went into search mode, had a signal after 2 or 3 minutes and started to set. Now it goes normal again as if nothing had happened.

The wristwatches I have all straightened and checked, wound up, they all run again as usual.

This all goes against the grain, and very much so...! If they were all electric quartz clocks and stopped at the same time, I would say: solar flare. Faulty radio signal. EMP in the atmosphere. Some physical phenomenon effecting circuits. If they were all mechanical watches, I would say: I forgot to wind them for two days (does not happen, btw.) . But like this...??

And then something else, why I first called my parents to check that they are both "still there". When I was studying and my parents still had our old apartment in Berlin, there was a cuckoo clock hanging in the kitchen (but the calling cuckoo was set to silent). My father was responsible for pulling up the two weights on the chains once a day, when he was making breakfast. One day he did that, and the clock was running. And two or three hours later it stopped, just like that. Again, a few hours later, there was a phone call that his mother had died. The clock was a gift from his parents to my parents.

There are some stories like that, from earlier times.

When the father of my mum died, in that night I dreamed of him. Back then the relations between me and my mum on the one side, and her parents on the other side already had badly detoriated, so it was very uncommon for me to dream pleasantly of him. I dreamed I was walking along a peaceful edge of the forest at sunset. Then I recognized a figure in the distance in front of me, and approaching I saw that it was my grandfather. I approached him and he waited, he smiled, but before I reached him he said or a voice said "No further", and then he turned away from me and went into the forest. When I tried to follow him, he turned again and shook his head suggestively, waved me off, then walked until he disappeared among the trees. The next morning my grandmother called me (I was already living alone in Osnabrück, no longer in Berlin) and said that he had died during the night.

You may understand why I feel so alarmed today. I am completely restless, cannot focus on anything, am worried.

I am not a superstitious person, never have been, and consequently I am not religious in a theistic sense. But this phenomenon this morning annoys me, and alarms me. I can't explain it, and that's just not possible! And I am worried that maybe something happened to a good old friend, with whom I unfortunately split up years ago after 30 years.

This is all a really stupid thing.
Old 10-31-22, 12:33 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

U R not alone! I monitor my watch collection similarly and have two that require winding twice a day; my '60's Venus-movement Wakmann and Stürling torbillion... plus four in an Italian winder cabinets with independant programmable winders. All of them have their horologic quirks and exist to keep my watch repair guy in fund$ As for weirdness, in college in 1970, playing Risk was a big thing in my Sophmore dorm. As I entered a dorm mate's room for a game, (Sept 1970)I sat down, coke in hand, for a game opposite my best friend, a fellow New Yorker and dorm mate. Suddenly he, in real time sitting across the table from me, was on totally on fire! Right before my eyes! I was stunned and the other players were alarmed at what my appearance must looked like. My first thought was: 'some jerk put something(LSD?) in my soda can...'(hey it was the 70's!); my friend even asked me: "R U ok". & just as suddenly after what seem a full minute, the apparition vanished; and we commenced playing. That night though, I dreamed the same vision. We kept up through the years exchanging visits, phone calls, Christmas card etc. He was a corporate vice-president on the 100th floor of World Trade Center tower 1, with his northside window office two floors directly above Mr Atta's plane strike at the 98th floor...and was the safety warden for his 1 acre floor!! They found him in a stairwell the following April. On a visit in my late 70's trucking days, he'd even given me a tour of that building....My last phone call to him sometime in early 2001, he said "It's good to hear your voice"; and he'd then informed of his company's recent move into several upper floors of the building. Knowing there'd been an Islamic truck-bomb attack( in 1993) there, I was not particularly happy about it. 358 out of 1070 employees died in the conflagration. So it's not necessarily a "stupid thing' we're both just a tad" cuckoo"??...." I've never experienced another real time vision since...but I don't drink sodas from aluminum cans since 1970 either!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-31-22 at 12:56 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-22, 03:20 PM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I don't wear my Omega Seamaster any more as I prefer my citizen Satellite Wave.

I was wondering how to store my automatic Omega. There are electronic "rotating" watch storage boxes. I asked Omega and here is what the tech told me.

If you plan on wearing an automatic watch once a week or so (perhaps only on weekends) then using an automatic watch winding storage box will be a good idea. However, if you intend to not wear the watch for months, the best thing is to let it wind down and leave it. One of the issues the tech explained to me was the lubrication. Keeping the watch in a winding box keeps the mechanism moving (duh) that means that the lubrication will continue to be used and eventually the watch will need servicing even though you are not wearing it.

By allowing the watch to stop, the duration between servicing will essentially stop. Only if you leave the watch stopped for years, will it need lubrication servicing which is something any qualified watch repair person can do.
Old 10-31-22, 03:26 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
U R not alone! I monitor my watch collection similarly and have two that require winding twice a day; my '60's Venus-movement Wakmann and Stürling torbillion... plus four in an Italian winder cabinets with independant programmable winders. All of them have their horologic quirks and exist to keep my watch repair guy in fund$ As for weirdness, in college in 1970, playing Risk was a big thing in my Sophmore dorm. As I entered a dorm mate's room for a game, (Sept 1970)I sat down, coke in hand, for a game opposite my best friend, a fellow New Yorker and dorm mate. Suddenly he, in real time sitting across the table from me, was on totally on fire! Right before my eyes! I was stunned and the other players were alarmed at what my appearance must looked like. My first thought was: 'some jerk put something(LSD?) in my soda can...'(hey it was the 70's!); my friend even asked me: "R U ok". & just as suddenly after what seem a full minute, the apparition vanished; and we commenced playing. That night though, I dreamed the same vision. We kept up through the years exchanging visits, phone calls, Christmas card etc. He was a corporate vice-president on the 100th floor of World Trade Center tower 1, with his northside window office two floors directly above Mr Atta's plane strike at the 98th floor...and was the safety warden for his 1 acre floor!! They found him in a stairwell the following April. On a visit in my late 70's trucking days, he'd even given me a tour of that building....My last phone call to him sometime in early 2001, he said "It's good to hear your voice"; and he'd then informed of his company's recent move into several upper floors of the building. Knowing there'd been an Islamic truck-bomb attack( in 1993) there, I was not particularly happy about it. 358 out of 1070 employees died in the conflagration. So it's not necessarily a "stupid thing' we're both just a tad" cuckoo"??...." I've never experienced another real time vision since...but I don't drink sodas from aluminum cans since 1970 either!

Well, I usually live by the world model provided by science, though sometimes I silently think for myself that its reach is limited and cannot catch all there is, necessarily. But for everyday life it is as useful as Newtonian physics are for playing billiards - though there is quantum mechanics as well, and then some more we might not even have discovered so far.

As a small boy, i had deja-vus a small numer of times, and nothing was important in them , as an event, it were just curiosities. I know how neurologists and brain researchers try to explain them, I also know that there are many occasions where these explanations indeed seem to match. But I think there is a number of events left that are set apart due to the fact that in these cases input from other people, external time-taking by other people, defines the description of the situation that way that one sees that it cannot have been just a thing inside your two brai n hemispheres having been out of synch, or different areas of your memory system and percievign senses being out of synch, or something like that. You can catch most fishes with these kind of nets - but not all.

As a kid and teen I also had three prophetic dreams. Nothing world-moving makiugn history, but for themselves the experiences have deeply moved me - enough that I still remember them in detail today, four and five decades later, and thiunk of them as revbealtions that I do not udnerstand in full, cannot give in words, but point me at something extremely important. I wonder if maybe our minds are more open to receive stuff, before we grow up and have filters over filters limiting their scanning range and that of our general perception and "signal processing". I hold this as a hypothesis, I know it is not proven and maybe is unprovable. I cannot claim it is so, but I try to be open without becomign a victim of gullibility - I always approach things with a solid dose of scepticism first - and I get along very well this way.

But I had some really strange experiences with my mind during a phase in my life when i was very deep in meditation, Zazen and all that, and also was in some days-long retreats. Today i think different of retreats, meditation should not be the beginnign of spiritual journeys, but come just at a later stage of life, becasue ti needs the mind to ripe for it first. But how then to meditate if you have not learned it first, it takes years and years to learn?! Its - well, its complicated...

They want to legalize Cannabis in Germany. I'm looking forward to that. Can be a good thing if done right, their is medical value in it, and it cna be beneficial outside a medicla need, too - if not exaggerated. The esdtablishment however fears for loss of control and already has oepned fire at it, of course. That was ot be expected. Question is - will politics regulate it in the right way? The dange lies not in cannabis per se, but in handling the politics around it wrong. And in the qauanitty peope, consume. Evertyhing is defined in its toxicity by the quantum that is being consumed.

My watches thing this mornign remains strange, there simply is too much simultaneous strangeness involved with too many of my watches, as if I can treat it as a case of random chance. One or two watches getting eccentric at the same time - okay. But 9 out of 12, both electgric and mechanical, plus a radio controlled clock on the wall? With all watches before and since then running normally? No, it might be an unknown physics explanation or something really ominous, but just random chance I must rule out by all of what the term "probability" means.

Let me make one thing clear, I should have said it earlier maybe, since today is Octobre 31st. . My first post is no Halloween joke, like Aprils fools or something like that. I mean every word I wrote, and the watches running amok were for real. They all do fine again now.

Last edited by Skybird; 10-31-22 at 03:39 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-22, 03:46 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I don't wear my Omega Seamaster any more as I prefer my citizen Satellite Wave.

I was wondering how to store my automatic Omega. There are electronic "rotating" watch storage boxes. I asked Omega and here is what the tech told me.

If you plan on wearing an automatic watch once a week or so (perhaps only on weekends) then using an automatic watch winding storage box will be a good idea. However, if you intend to not wear the watch for months, the best thing is to let it wind down and leave it. One of the issues the tech explained to me was the lubrication. Keeping the watch in a winding box keeps the mechanism moving (duh) that means that the lubrication will continue to be used and eventually the watch will need servicing even though you are not wearing it.

By allowing the watch to stop, the duration between servicing will essentially stop. Only if you leave the watch stopped for years, will it need lubrication servicing which is something any qualified watch repair person can do.
Thank you, I knew this, however. But my watches range in prices from 150 to 1500 Euro, and four digit pricesd are attached to only three of them. So doing too much tam-tam over their servicing and maintenance maybe is a bit overkill. Watches like these do not get a full revision every couple of years, but they are worn as long as they work reasonably well - and that is usually several times as long as is claimed, and then you do not give them expensive revisikons like for a Gran seiko for ten thosuand talers, but you replace the callibre. I do not collect them as valuable items, but exclusively because their looks attract me, with their price being not unreasonable. The majority of my watches costed less than 500. So, no real "treasures" there. But real beauties.

I have regulated three of them myself, btw. Can do that only with a certain construction scheme that is used by many Seiko callibres, all other watches having different constructions I would not touch. The Seikos look fantastic in design, but the callibres are not the greatest, I mean they are said to be robust, but come with way too much speed variation span for my taste when they leave factory. The worst offenders I have disciplined. I tolerate +/- 8 seconds per 16 hours when worn over the day in the three digit price range. For a severla thosujand coins expensiove Omega, that wpould be untolerable, for a an automatic with a 4R36 callibre as an exmaple, 6 or 8 seconds is good. The three offenders I brought down to around +6 - 0 seconds. That is good. They varied by 15 seocnds and more... A watch scale is good to have.

By the way, modern lubricants for watches no longer gum up, watch journals say.

Last edited by Skybird; 10-31-22 at 03:57 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 07:45 PM   #6
Shady Bill
Silent but not deadly

Downloads: 16

I once had a wonderful watch collection. I had a few Rolex, Tag Heuer racing watches and I had a limited edition men's Movado Museum watch with metal bracelet that was numbered (the current Museum line is hideous. The very first one was incredible). I had a few rare 1980s "Swatch" watches. The whole collection was about $30k. It was the one thing of luxury I allowed myself. I used to say "Time is the most precious commodity" and all that sort of b.s....anyways, my first wife, knowing how much I loved these mechanical devices, made sure she got them in the divorce.The entire collection.

I got the cat though...so I still won.

As far as your clock and watches go. Sounds like "glitches in the matrix" I tell my much nicer 2nd wife all the time. And I am not joking, though not referring to the famous movie.

I am convinced that this reality we exist in, is a construct. It was created by advanced beings using advanced computing techniques. What we perceive as "The Laws of Physics" is actually "code". As in our own software development, these advanced beings most likely use asset management, meaning our universe is much more simple and less diverse, than we perceive it to be.

Lately I have been seeing a *lot* of glitching. Daily examples. I know this all sounds nuts. but it is no more so than people who believe "spirit activity" is a real thing. Or "feeling a presence"...

Your watch problem could be related.
Shady Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 08:01 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Bill View Post

I got the cat though...so I still won.
our Burmese kitty is also our official time-keeper: meows bedtime to the wife at 10 PM...and jumps up on the bed at 06:30 without fail every morning....as to movado museum watches, check out my post #94 in Platapus's oft multiple-merged 'Holy Holology Batman!' thread. I wear mine on any/all formal occasions with the bride; inasmuch as she gifted it 2 me on our 25th anniversary. We got a lot of serious watch fanatics in this forum.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-01-22 at 08:30 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 08:11 PM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
and jumps up on the bed at 06:30 without fail every morning....
We call such things "bacon" over here.
Old 11-01-22, 11:35 PM   #9
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

i always been more of a pocket watch man,wrist watches i always end up smacking them on something breaking the glass