SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-27-16, 03:01 AM   #1
pensioned
Watch

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0
Default RFB 2.0 CTD

Hello
I have sh4 1.5 installed , using windows 7, radeon HD 6950, intel i7, with 3 monitors system ( game runs on single monitor res ) and it works fine. I just installed the RFB 2.0 MOD using the JSGMC. My question is probably a silly one but I am rather new to playing this sim, even though I have had it for years...

Can one use the RFB mod to play the Single Missions in the SH4 Uboats Mission because I keep getting CTD after about 10 min in a single mission or is RFB just for the career mode? At least five attempts made and all failed.

I started a career to see if the problem persists and it ran fine. All I did was begin the mission which involved leaving Pearl H.... I tried all views and stations.... after 20 mins or so I saved and exited without a problem. Not saying that it may still crash at a later date but it is getting very late here so I decided to give up for tonight.

Any advice would be appreciated because I would love to try this mod out.

Jack

I did install the Large Address Aware Fix which did no good.
pensioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-16, 04:03 AM   #2
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

The answer is: It depends.

RFB is perfectly acceptable for mission play, but the missions themselves must be compatible. For example, missions included with RFB will be ok, but stock missions, which feature different ships, or versions of ships are going to result in a CTD.

This applies equally to missions you yourself create. If you want to create a mission to play with X-Y-Z mods, you should build the mission with those mods (and only those mods) enabled in the game. Otherwise, if there are differences in the units present, they may cause a CTD. The game is very fussy about the exact names of units, the different rosters, ship types, dates of availability, etc.

I hope this explains it well enough. Tbh, I couldn't give you an exact list of the things that cause problems in this area, but I've had the same thing happen when I forgot mission X was developed with a different mod assortment than I had at the moment.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-16, 08:27 PM   #3
pensioned
Watch

Default RFB 2.0 CTD

Thanks for the reply TorpX. Could use a little more info please.

You mention that missions included with RFB run ok but I don't see any single missions that came with the RFB install. I only see the stock missions. Would that be correct or is my install faulty?

Jack
Old 01-27-16, 09:06 PM   #4
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Looking around my mod files, I see you are right. There are no missions included in RFB.

I usually play RFB + RSRDC, so the missions I was thinking of belong to RSRDC. Honestly, I do not play missions, apart from the ones I create myself to test things.

I think most mega-mods will include missions, but in any case what I said goes. If you try to run a mission that, for example, has a ship that is no longer in the roster file that your mods have, the game will crash.

Why are you interested in the missions?

Do you not want to play a career, or just want to learn the game first?
Old 01-27-16, 09:27 PM   #5
pensioned
Watch

Default RFB 2.0 CTD

HI torpX

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Yes wanting to learn the game better before attempting a career.

Jack
Old 01-27-16, 10:13 PM   #6
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Unfortunately, there are not really good training missions for the game. The stock torpedo attack mission is awful, and I'm not sure the others are too useful, either.

I learned about all this in two ways:
1. Just playing the game. Quality is more important than quantity here. In career mode, I'm serious. This doesn't mean I don't make mistakes, but when I do, I learn from them, so I can do better next time.

2. Reading about real-life WWII sub operations. My personal favorite is Richard H. O'Kane, but there are quite a few good authors to choose from.

And, of course, you can always get answers to specific questions here at Subsim.
Old 01-28-16, 12:21 AM   #7
pensioned
Watch

Default RFB 2.0 CTD

OK.. thanks for the direction...hope to find time to really get to know and enjoy this sim.

Thanks again and you may here from me now and again as I get more involved.

Jack
Old 01-28-16, 10:20 PM   #8
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Icon5

You're most welcome.

You don't have to pressure yourself to become expert in the game's mechanics. (We are all apt to lose sight of this, at times.) There is no reason you can't learn different aspects of the game as you go, at your own pace. Some of my most enjoyable times were with the earlier SHCE (SH1), when I knew next to nothing about sub ops. Learning new things about it all was half the fun.