SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-03-15, 10:11 AM   #1
Sarge6870
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Issues Running SH4-v.1.4 on Windows 8.1

I'm new to the site so if this has been addressed in the past, please point me to the thread(s). I used to run SH4-v.1.4 on a windows XP(sp3) desktop. I now have a Dell running Windows 8.1 with 8 gigs RAM and installed v.1.4 to run SH4. I have tried to run the game in ADMIN but no help. My first issue is that it won't run fullscreen even though I did follow the directions in a thread here (config file set to run fullscreen). My second issue is when I run a saved mission, it gets to a certain point and the screen locks yet the audio continues to run. Sometimes I can open Task Manager then close it and the game resumes, sometimes it doesn't. I tried to run the training sim and it didn't cause an issue. It seems to only happen in one of the saved missions (actually the only saved mission) I am trying to complete. What can I check? Carry on......

Last edited by Sarge6870; 08-03-15 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-03-15, 01:52 PM   #2
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3228
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge6870 View Post
I'm new to the site so if this has been addressed in the past, please point me to the thread(s). I used to run SH4-v.1.4 on a windows XP(sp3) desktop. I now have a Dell running Windows 8.1 with 8 gigs RAM and installed v.1.4 to run SH4. I have tried to run the game in ADMIN but no help. My first issue is that it won't run fullscreen even though I did follow the directions in a thread here (config file set to run fullscreen). My second issue is when I run a saved mission, it gets to a certain point and the screen locks yet the audio continues to run. Sometimes I can open Task Manager then close it and the game resumes, sometimes it doesn't. I tried to run the training sim and it didn't cause an issue. It seems to only happen in one of the saved missions (actually the only saved mission) I am trying to complete. What can I check? Carry on......
Welcome to SUBSIM, Sarge!

Do you use 4 Gb patch?

What is your GC? Your PC or Laptop has a GC? Probably you need to config the GC to full screen. What is the resolution you want to run the game?

And if you can buy SH4 1.5, that will be a great idea.

Best regards and enjoy the site!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 02:33 AM   #3
shegeek72
WAV

Downloads: 94
Uploads: 0

Does 1.5 run better on win 8 than 1.4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post

Fitzcarraldo
shegeek72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 07:22 AM   #4
Sarge6870
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post

Do you use 4 Gb patch?

What is your GC? Your PC or Laptop has a GC? Probably you need to config the GC to full screen. What is the resolution you want to run the game?

Best regards and enjoy the site!

Fitzcarraldo
Thanks for the reply Fitz! My GC is an internal "Intel HD Graphics 4400" running at "1920X1080". I would imagine my GC settings are already at Full Screen as all other programs are full screen. Just wondering if 1.5 has correction as part of the settings already. I plan to buy 1.5 in the near future but until then, I would like to be able to run SH4 with 1.4 .
Old 08-05-15, 05:36 PM   #5
Sarge6870
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

OK...I got SH4 to run at full screen and started a new "Quick Mission". It ran fine for about 15 minutes then the graphics started to flicker and the game froze along with the "SH4 has encountered a problem" with the only final option of closing the game. This is starting to suck. Guess my only option is to buy 1.5 ! But ONLY if I know it's going to work with Windows 8.1 (soon to be upgraded to Windows 10).