SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-15-13, 08:01 PM   #1
franklin1k
Watch

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 0
Default World in Flames

Fouled installing Sobers Mega mod , again
Waiting for sh4 mods to DL , never played it
Ran across WIF release in Nov, good board game
After buy Empire in Arms pc game, unplayable
Was wondering, who has bought this game?

I am thinking of spending $100
franklin1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 06:48 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

You are aware that WiF currently has no AI, yes? At least last time I checked it. "Solitaire" means just this: solitaire. Play against yourself. One can do that with cosims, and I did 25 years ago. But you should know what you get. Three books yes or no, for 77 Euros plus taxes, the thing is overpüriced without offering AI opponents, IMHO.
Old 12-16-13, 06:50 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

There are cosim alternatives. In Germany, "Saturn" stores still offer DVD copies of monster-game War in the East for 5 Euros. Battle for the Bulge represents a very good playing system. For monster sized cosims, consider Modern Campaigns: Danube 85. And finally a classic, The Operational Art of War III. Naval fans enjoy anothwer monster, War in the Pacific, made by the guy who later exceeded its size with War in the East.
Old 12-17-13, 04:57 AM   #4
franklin1k
Watch

Yeal, I read there was no AI. I have a couple friends into WIF boardgame. We use to push lead ships around in a game called Seapower back n the day. I went towards computer games while they boarded on. They will help out as AI. The problem is there is no PBEM. The price does not bother me if it works.

Okay, cosim means? Something simulation, like all encompassing.

Personally, the afterlives are worth a look. I like a game that plays into the wee hours of the night. War in the Pacific sounds good for a start. I'll get around to the others in good order.

Have you tried Hearts of Iron 3?

Which Battle for the Bulge game are you referring to?

Last edited by franklin1k; 12-17-13 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-17-13, 06:28 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

I tried HoI2 once, longer time ago, but found it not to be my cup of tea. Also did not like the interface too much.

Cosim = Conflict Simulation. Originally the old-fashioned hexfield mapstyle gameplay with dozens and hundreds of markers.

If one would know what era and style of gameplay you are interested in, one could make more suiting suggestions.

In general I recommend TOAW3 due to its immense flexibility - can be ancient, WW1 or 2, modern, can be batallion level or division level, huge or small scenarios. It's a classic. Raptor made a AAR here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...igns+Danube+85

Battle for the Bulge and Conquest of the Aegean are not hexfield but they are vector-controlled, and they are realtime. I very advanced game design, which is quite difficult to control competently, it takes so many realistic things into account. Extremely good AI - I often could not differ it from a human player.

Modern Campaigns: Danube 85 simulates the cold war going hot, on a map with 65000 hexfields, covering the complete European front from the North Cape to the Balkans. The handling is a bit tough due to the size, the simulation goes down to company level. The game mechanisms are more forgiving than some other, and make for a bit more convenient, complaisant playing, but you have to play precise, else you loose the battles. It'S a bit older, but there are very good-looking map mods. -> http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/product...nubeFront.html

War in the East is said to be the biggest wargame/cosims out there currently, bigger than War oin the Pacific. See here : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...nube+85&page=2 A socalled monster-game. You do not play it into the night - you play it into weeks and months.

See suggestions to gamesites here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...igns+Danube+85

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...igns+Danube+85

On War in the Pacific (some years ago) http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...igns+Danube+85

All titles usually have videos at Youtube.

Finally, there is this game, which still is FREE, and for free you would be a fool not to check it out, it is not bad: http://www.armoredbrigade.com/ It plays a bit like the map mode in SBP-PE.

I take it you are not after real 3D-games like simulators, ArmA style of games, etc. Else I would hint at Combat Mission Shock Force, which plays quite strategically as well, but features single battles (let's say up to batallion level).

For tactical hide-and-seek games in real 3D worlds, there is nothing better and more realistic than either ArmA in MP mode (the AI sucks), or Steel Beasts Pro PE (tank simulator, both SP and MP are a blast).
Old 12-18-13, 05:55 AM   #6
franklin1k
Watch

"Battles from the Bulge" wins my $
Told my buddy if he buys me WIF
as an xmas gift, I'll be his AI

The gamesystem sold me for Battles from the Bulge
Macro managing a theater suits better than micro managing units
The youtube vids from Panther games showed a sweet game

As for a game for next year,
An age of sail game from midshpman to admiral
A WW II 3D naval game that makes you smell powder
A tank game like West Front on modern PC
An a adventure into the heart of Africa 1880ish

Europa Universalis IV looks like a good game

Games playing now,
WOT, civ V, far cry 3, xcom, sh4

sh5 when i can get sobers mod to run

you suggestions were very helpful

Modern Campaigns: Danube 85 came in second
HPS Simulations and John Tiller hard to pass on

War in the Pacfic, AE - if you jumped to battles better

TOAW3 and GG War in the East if the maps were better

Fighting Steel is so like seapower, somebody needs to update it, huh

merry xmas
Old 12-18-13, 06:06 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Congrats on Bulge, probably a very good title ( i only know and own the predecessor Conquest of the Aegean, which is the same game system). But you're in for a challenge.

One last suggestion:

Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank and Steel Panthers WWII both are free in lower resolutions. Shrapnel Games. Classical hexfield cosims, 1 hex = 250m, 1 counter = individual vehicle or section, infantry squad.