SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-15-08, 02:17 AM   #1
XanderF
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 4 And U-boat Missions On Steam!!

Woohoo! A great (definitely the best) digital distribution method for the Silent Hunter series!

Silent Hunter 4 on Steam!

Note that for only $28, you can buy a pack that includes Sh3, Sh4, and the 'U-boat Missions' for Sh4.

I'm re-buying these on Steam, myself (if for no other reason than this is ultra-portable. Even if the disks are scratched and no longer readable some day, any game bought on Steam can always be downloaded and played on any PC you'll ever have.) I'll be sure to report on how the mods work - so far, I've never had a problem with mods in Steam games (they are almost always VERY mod friendly), so we'll see how it goes!

This is FANTASTIC news! Advertised on the front page of Steam, no less!

(Okay, okay, a cross-post to the Sh3 board, too - but this is SO VERY EXCITING!!)
Old 06-15-08, 03:45 PM   #2
V.C. Sniper
Watch Officer

Downloads: 1

W00T!! Too bad though that the 1337 awesome Steam doesn't accept the CD key that came with my boxed copy. Ah well, hope all the Sim lovers on Steam here enjoy the hell out of it!!! >_<

100% REALISM = PWNZ THE S0X 2 TH4 B0X!!!

STEAM FTW!!!!

Last edited by V.C. Sniper; 06-17-08 at 03:07 PM.
V.C. Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 07:06 PM   #3
XanderF
Samurai Navy

It's only $28 to buy all three items, I have no problem buying it again at that price. For the convenience of Steam (and yes, the mods work), I can take the copies I have and send them to my brother. Or a coworker or something.

Simply a smashing excuse to give away a copy or three! :rotfl:
Old 06-15-08, 08:23 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Great. Just great. I can't buy the add-on from D2D because they say something's wrong and they can't fix it. I just got all excited trying to get it from Steam, and they say I can't. I have to have Steam's version of SH4 to get and use the add-on.

I can barely spare ten bucks for the thing; no way can I afford to by another copy of the game, or the package.

I'm tired of these games. Why can't somebody just sell me a copy of the thing?
Old 06-16-08, 09:35 AM   #5
Feltan
Watch

Downloads: 0

Sorry, but STEAM is not going on my computer. Had it once, and it was the most annoying memory hog ever devised.

Regards,
Feltan
Feltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 11:01 AM   #6
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

What is not running takes no memory, and this applies to Steam too. I have it because of HL2, CS:S and a couple of other games, but I never run it unless it's needed.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 12:28 PM   #7
wetwarev7
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

I hate Steam. Aside from all the other negatives, here's my main problem with it.
I bought Half-Life 2, played it for a bit, uninstalled, and then moved. Since I was moving, I had my email address changed and I also lost my list of passwords so I couldn't log on to Steam anymore, hence, I can't install/play Half-Life 2. After many moons of trying to get hold of someone at Steam, I was told that since I no longer have the orginal email address, I'll just have to buy a new copy of the game.

Yeah, right. I told them to go f...........

I'll never purchase another Steam game. Ever.

That being said, $28 dollars is a good price for SH3, SH4 and UBM. (For those that would buy a game from Steam.)
Old 06-17-08, 01:10 PM   #8
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Couldn't agree more! If you buy at a store, at least you have a receipt to prove it's yours and you paid for it. It'd like to see them try and deny that. But yeah, excellent price. Guess the extra you pay in stores is for customer service and proof of ownership.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 08:35 PM   #9
XanderF
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetwarev7
I hate Steam. Aside from all the other negatives, here's my main problem with it.
I bought Half-Life 2, played it for a bit, uninstalled, and then moved. Since I was moving, I had my email address changed and I also lost my list of passwords so I couldn't log on to Steam anymore, hence, I can't install/play Half-Life 2. After many moons of trying to get hold of someone at Steam, I was told that since I no longer have the orginal email address, I'll just have to buy a new copy of the game.
Well:

A) For this (and many more - FAR more important) reasons, I don't do anything critical with an ISP email address. ISPs dry up and blow away from time to time, people move, policies change, etc. My Yahoo account is where I manage 99% of my important stuff, and I have an MSN account just in case as fallback.

B) Updating your email addresses is, like, thing #1 to do when moving if you have an ISP-based system. It's like moving and not notifying the government of your new address, and then complaining when you don't get your tax refund or something. I mean, you HAVE to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight
Couldn't agree more! If you buy at a store, at least you have a receipt to prove it's yours and you paid for it. It'd like to see them try and deny that. But yeah, excellent price. Guess the extra you pay in stores is for customer service and proof of ownership.
O RLY?

You realize most store receipts (actually, virtually all within the past decade or so - certainly any electronic retailer) are printed with a paper+ink combination that fades away to completely clear strips after a few months to a few years, right?

And in any case, disk gets scratched/broken/lost, and what do you do? That's right, have to buy another copy of the game.
Old 06-19-08, 08:42 AM   #10
wetwarev7
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderF
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetwarev7
Well:

A) For this (and many more - FAR more important) reasons, I don't do anything critical with an ISP email address. ISPs dry up and blow away from time to time, people move, policies change, etc. My Yahoo account is where I manage 99% of my important stuff, and I have an MSN account just in case as fallback.

B) Updating your email addresses is, like, thing #1 to do when moving if you have an ISP-based system. It's like moving and not notifying the government of your new address, and then complaining when you don't get your tax refund or something. I mean, you HAVE to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight
O RLY?

You realize most store receipts (actually, virtually all within the past decade or so - certainly any electronic retailer) are printed with a paper+ink combination that fades away to completely clear strips after a few months to a few years, right?

And in any case, disk gets scratched/broken/lost, and what do you do? That's right, have to buy another copy of the game.
You've got some good points, but I still see things a little differently.

I keep all my receipts for at least 5 years. Very few of them have faded. A lot of them are printed on thermal paper, not ink. I just recently had a video card go bad and since I had the receipt was was just under the warranty(two years), I was able to get the video card replaced. I will happily buy from that manufacturer again.

I can call the Gov and tell them my new address. They won't give me a bunch of flak about getting a new social security number. And frankly, I've never called to tell the Gov my new address. I just use my new address on my tax form, and they send me my refund. Amazing.

If I scratched the CD, yes, I would go buy a new one. The CD isn't scratched at all, it is in mint condition. I just don't have access to an email account, and Steam refuses to make allowances for that.

From my perspective, this is all about being inflexible. I lose my CD, yeah, sure I'll buy another one. But losing my password/Email account? That's a bit of a stretch. They wouldn't even allow me to send them an image of the CD, instruction manual, and the receipt to prove that it was a legitimate copy, nor to allow me any other way to prove to them that I was the orginal and proper owner of said software.

If a company wants to be this inflexible to it's paying customers, then I can certainly take my money elsewhere and give it to someone who appreciates my business, and appreciates that life happens.
Old 06-19-08, 10:44 AM   #11
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Don't know what stores you go to, but mine are all fine. Except that one that was in my pocket when I washed my pants.

Quote:
Uhm... Image file? Burn backup from ISO? Got 10 year old games with barely a scratch on them.

Just have to take care of your stuff. :p

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 10:17 AM   #12
Fire_Spy
Mate

Downloads: 25

It might be on steam for the rest of the world but I cant see it on there in Australia..

In fact when I go to the website in the OP and click on buy it flat out tells me I cant purchase it from Australia..
The Russians knew where the carrier group was, but it would move in the four hours required by the bombers to get there. Their missiles needed precise information if they were to home in on the raid's primary target, the two American and one French carrier, or the mission was a wasted effort.

The game was hide and seek, played over a million square miles of ocean. The losers died.

Last edited by Fire_Spy; 06-23-08 at 10:29 AM.
Fire_Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 01:14 PM   #13
Hieronimus
Nub

Downloads: 29
Default Europe doesn't have access either

At least, from the Netherlands it isn't possible to buy any of the SH games through Steam...

bummer....
Hieronimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 11:16 PM   #14
KrazyKarl
Nub

Downloads: 0

I love Steam! I buy all my games from them if they sell them. Not switching CDs is the way I like it. I've never had a problem running Steam and I get to find out about cool games like SHIV!!!
KrazyKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 04:20 AM   #15
Orffen
Mate

Downloads: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Spy
It might be on steam for the rest of the world but I cant see it on there in Australia..

In fact when I go to the website in the OP and click on buy it flat out tells me I cant purchase it from Australia..
Same problem for me. I don't get why Ubisoft (and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. guys) don't want my Aussie cash