SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-15-11, 05:04 AM   #1
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0
Default [TEC] sea foam in low windspeeds possible?

This question gathers round in my head for a while now. As to the revolutionary achievements of Stiebler and H.Sie in modifying the exe of sh3, it might be possible to add sea foam even in low windspeeds. It would tune up the look of the water to a very high grade.

So, is it possible? Or is it even possible, to add a new sea foam texture for low windspeeds, which is used on the water? If so, would it also be possible to add the animated texture controller by Anvart for sea foam?

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 11:12 AM   #2
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Hi urfish,

I also think that this need fix. I already ask for it sometimes. I can also say that I already spent a lot of hours trying to find a fix over the sh3 files (scene.dat mainly) and never have found a solution.

So, seems that it is hardcoded and perhaps a simple fix, as we (read here h.sie or Stiebler!) just need to found the function that the code uses to determine the wind speed value that is used to start (or cut) the generation of the foam. With the current weather fix knowledge probably this will be not a so difficult task.

It´s a visual glicht. But in my opinion is not only this. It´s about realism.

Anyhow, we can understand that h.sie and Stiebler already have a lot of important things to look. So, let´s hope that they could find some time to look at this if possible too.

Anyway, do you have any clue? I tried to mess with waves properties on scene.dat and even if you make the 6m/s waves as big as the 15m/s nothing change on the foam side...
Old 11-15-11, 11:29 AM   #3
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

me, too.

no, its hardcoded. spent days on that...managed to have more rough looking smaller waves. but thats all. the foam thing is not reachable, i managed to take a look into the act files and the exe of sh3. i dont remember in which file i found it, but the waves are created due to coding stuff and the foam (which foam texture is used at a certain windspeed) is defined in this file too. so the values exist, ive seen them. but i do not know, how to interpret/change this code stuff.

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 12:51 PM   #4
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by urfisch View Post
As to the revolutionary achievements of Stiebler and H.Sie in modifying the exe of sh3, it might be possible to add sea foam even in low windspeeds. It would tune up the look of the water to a very high grade.
Interesting idea. And I think you're right that it would help the visual appearance of the water considerably. I guess the main question is whether implementing it would be feasible?

Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 06:51 PM   #5
IFRT-WHUFC
Engineer

Downloads: 374

I agree.........& also varied weather at the start of a patrol would be good if possible.

Rick
IFRT-WHUFC is offline   Reply With Quote