SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-03-10, 12:57 PM   #1
wolf_288
Seaman

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0
Default hydrophone lamp??

Hi
what does it mean the green lamp on the hydrophone??
wolf_288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 01:12 PM   #2
Sammi79
XO

Downloads: 272

Hi Wolf_288, I think that green light is just a visual indication of a sound being picked up - sometimes it will light up and you will hear no sound however, maybe because the sound is at the edge of the range of the hydrophones. I have found also that sunken ships tend to show up like this long after they have come to rest on the seabed, some kind of minor bug I guess. (or maybe its trapped crew members signalling for help? )
Sammi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 05:30 PM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

The lamp is supposed to simulate the "magic eye" on the hydrophone, which assisted the operator in determining the exact bearing with the strongest signal.

http://www.fleetsubmarine.com/sonar.html
Old 05-03-10, 05:57 PM   #4
sckallst
Bosun

Downloads: 116

Yep, it's indicating sound is being picked up. Find a lot of targets that way. Go down for a sound check on a regular schedule and spin the wheel. If she lights up green and the sound is really faint I just get my headphones out and start taking bearings. Do some quick TMA, shoot off in another direction to get another set of bearings, figure out if an intercept is possible and then it's off to the races to meet up with the target. I have more fun making those finds/kills in the early war (before the fancy-schmancy radar thing is installed on my boat) than I do in just about any other facet of SH.
sckallst is offline   Reply With Quote