SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-10, 12:11 PM   #1
mr chris
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 216
Uploads: 0
Default Small upgrade.

Have decided to upgrade my system. Its just over a year old. I have a DDR2 system at the moment but plan to upgrade to a DDR3 system.
So have picked out a new:
Motherboard
Processor
Ram
Processor cooler.

Processor:
Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366)

Processor Cooler:
Coolermaster V10 TEC Hybrid CPU Cooler (Socket 940/AM2/AM3/LGA775/LGA1366)

Motherboard:
Asus Rampage II Extreme Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard

RAM:
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C7 1333MHz Triple Channel

The total price is just under £700

Any thoughts are welcome.
Old 03-15-10, 05:24 PM   #2
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Couple of questions. What is the rating of the current power supply in your PC? Also - what OS are you planning on running?

Any 32 bit OS will not be able to access the memory.

You need to insure the PS is up to handling the hardware your throwing in - with room to spare if you plan on going SLI later on.

Lastly - if is this machine only going to be for gaming? If so, you may want to consider the AMD offerings. Gaming specs are very close with the I7's and the Phenom 2's - but the i7's do outperform in more "mundane" tasks like video editing and such.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 07:28 AM   #3
mr chris
Silent Hunter

Am going to stick with my current PSU which is a Coolmaster 1250watt.
I plan on over clocking the Processor to the mid 3ghz range which i think will be reached with-out to much hassle.
As for OS i brought Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit a while back and have been waiting for this upgrade to make the change from Vista Ultimate 64bit.
Currently my Graphics card is a ATI 4870X2. But once i have installed the upgrade and had a month or two to save I plan on upgrading to a new top of the range Graphics card, Not fussed whether it is Nvida or ATI.

Last edited by mr chris; 03-31-10 at 12:16 PM.
mr chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 12:21 PM   #4
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Ok your PS should be fine then.

As for the vid card - heck the 4870 is a sweet card - x2 you really shouldn't need to upgrade for a while. But its your dough.

If you go with this board - realize that its BUILT for SLI - meaning you will want to go Nvidia with graphix as you can add in another card later if you want. When you get a mb - you need to know if your going to sli/crossfire or not.

As for overclocking - I don't do it but the ASUS generally is thought highly of - and the mb line in particular (gamer series) is well spoken about.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 01:40 PM   #5
mr chris
Silent Hunter

Will let you know how it all goes. I plan on ordering it all this week.
Then give it a few weeks for the parts to arrive and get it all in place and running.
The upgrade of the Graphics card is just me being a eye candy whore. I may say soon after the upgrade but it all depends on the long haired General.
Old 03-31-10, 12:15 PM   #6
mr chris
Silent Hunter

Placed my Order today. Should have it all by the middle of next week. Then the fun will begin.
Old 04-08-10, 10:03 AM   #7
mr chris
Silent Hunter

Yeah, the the parts arrived today.
Tonight will be spent cleaning out the dust infested mess that is my computer case, and preparing for the install of the new components tomorrow.

Last edited by mr chris; 04-10-10 at 01:19 AM.
mr chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-10, 01:42 PM   #8
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chris View Post
Yeah, the the parts arrived today.
Tonight will be spent cleaning out the dust infested mess that is my computer case, and preparing for the install of the new components tomorrow.
Sounds like a nice potential build with some kick ass components. I really hope that you are going to overclock that 920 to near or above 4Ghz because you have the right air cooler for the job. Also some build photos would be nice. Good luck and tell us your results.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-10, 01:31 AM   #9
mr chris
Silent Hunter

Will post some pictures soon. Have got it all install now. Will be let you know how the Overclocking goes, am going to have a go at that on Sunday. Took a little longer than i thought as i had to move the hard drive down the case as where it was before. When we had installed the new M/B and cooler, the cooler was almost touching the hard drive so it had to be moved. Am in the middle of installing all the programes again now. Oh am im loving Windows 7.
Old 04-10-10, 03:44 PM   #10
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Cool. Interested to find what your feelings are on the Coolermaster V10 and it's use of both standard air fan and TEC as a cooling solution. Obviously you must have a decent sized quality case to fit it and you didn't have any clearance problems due to the memory you have selected. Look forward to some system build pics to drool over.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote