Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-10, 12:26 PM   #1
Boats
Loader

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
How many have the game but don't...

play it for one reason or another?

I have it but can't play it on my machine. From what I've read I'm not missing anything but frustration. So how many have been frustrated enough to drop the game until one or more things are fixed?
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 12:33 PM   #2
Reaperman
Swabbie

Downloads: 4

Turn the shadows off and see if it becomes playable. Understanding that the control room and sonar/captains bed area are the worst for FPS.
Reaperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 12:41 PM   #3
Baffman
Watch

Downloads: 40

FPS are fine for me, almost in every situation (more than 60 in the control room, ati hd4870, no vsync). I just don't play the game because i'm waiting for the next patch.
Baffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 12:53 PM   #4
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

i played it a bit.
call of duty is taking up my time though
Old 03-29-10, 12:58 PM   #5
robbo180265
Admiral

Downloads: 122

I'm slowly becoming bored with it. It works fine with the mods (that sentence is there to try to put off the trolls) but without any real threat from the AI , without a variety of targets to sink its fast becoming tedious.
robbo180265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 12:59 PM   #6
alexradu89
Lieutenant

Downloads: 94

Me. I'm not playing this until the last patch has been implemented (I'm dead serious). At the moment SH5 just doesn't exist for me... Oh and also my PC is crap at the moment and I will require little under a year or so until I get funds for upgrading.
alexradu89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 01:02 PM   #7
Reaperman
Swabbie

I have 30 mods installed in running, my game is almost as good as GWX SH3:P

If only i had a realistic campaign and neutral shipping, i would be all set.
Reaperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 01:02 PM   #8
UBoat_Paddy
Nub

Downloads: 15

I haven't played it in over a week since I was able to sink 4 troop transports and a 16 ship convoy with the deck gun in broad daylight without getting any damage. I was even rammed by a merchant when I wasn't watching (tends to happen a lot when I'm at the deck gun ) and it didn't even dent the hull.

I can forgive most of the bugs, but I can't forgive the sloppiness which means that there is no enjoyment from sinking ships and avoiding detection. I'll give it a try again when v1.2 is out, but I reckon I'll be waiting until v1.4 or 1.5 before I bother with it again if at all.

Instead I've got a cheap little tank sim called Iron Warriors: T72 Tank Command off Steam and it's good fun. The graphics are crap but at least it does what it is supposed to do and has a steep yet rewarding learning curve.
UBoat_Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 01:20 PM   #9
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Count me in. I purchased the game the week it hit the market, installed it, but could not get past the huge amount of bugs and design flaws, so I shelved it and gave modders some time to work their magic.

(BTW, many thanks to all the modders who are slowly turning this disaster into a quasi-playable game)

Only yesterday I started to make a mod mix to my liking and I'm still experimenting with it, but there are still several showstoppers so far.
For instance, right now, I'm trying to find the answer to two bugs bothering me immensely:
- why certain ships can be heard on hydrophone only at speeds above 6 knots;
- why, while I am manning the hydrophone myself, the game actually plays ambiance_Torpedo-room_Q.wav instead instead of amb_Hydrophone.wav.

I guess I'm still weeks away from firing up a campaign.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 01:23 PM   #10
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

I learned my lesson from Silent Hunter III and Silent Hunter 4. I'm waiting until the end of the year. I will assess the fully patched and modded game at that time and purchase if I like what I see.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 01:29 PM   #11
Peter Cremer
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 141
I bought it Saturday after following all the threads about what is good with it (not much apparently except the graphics) and what is bad about it. The bad list is growing quickly. It will not run well enough on my laptop so I have not installed it yet. I am waiting for my new PC from Digital Storm to arrive before I do anything with it. As with a lot of people, I seriously object to the DRM and having to be online just to play as a single player. DRM is the best encouragement for piracy that I have seen yet. The "suits" just don't get it. They obviously don't read any reviews. Obviously the "suits" have short term profits in mind. They don't care how it sells over a long period of time; they just want it to sell for about a year and then write it off and go do something else half-assed. UBI has other games I would have considered but not now, not with this kind of "protection". It seems as if UBI deliberately releases the Silent Hunter games in beta mode because they can save money by doing it and they are certain the modders with finish it for them.
Peter Cremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 01:36 PM   #12
perisher
Frogman

Downloads: 15

It's playable with some mods but the DRM is frustrating and the AI offers no challenge. The crew interaction is infantile. Until they fix it I'm off back to my Type IX.
Old 03-29-10, 01:37 PM   #13
Barso
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have just purchased lockon flaming cliffs2.
The devs should get in touch with the devs of SH5 and tell them how a sim is really done.
FC2 is fantastic and cheaper than what I purchased SH5 for.
Without a proper AI fix this game is useless no matter what is done to it.
I will return once it's been fully patched, if it isn't fully patched then I will be uninstalling and dumping it.
Last ubisoft game I ever purchase for my PC or PS3.
Valuable less well learned.
Old 03-29-10, 02:15 PM   #14
Ping Jockey
Medic

Downloads: 294

Stinks even more then SH4. I still play SH3 GWX Gold!! WIll try SH5 again after the modders fix it!!!
Old 03-29-10, 02:24 PM   #15
KiwiVenge
Medic

I was one of the 'holding out' that caved in and bought it.
I play it as much as any new game I just got. I have found all but the AI bugs have been fixed by the modders already. And I haven't looked into the mod section to see if there are any AI adjusting mods out yet.
I have had zero of the crashing/blue screen/low FPS problems. On my machine with all settings maxed (done for me by install) it is very very stable running game.
Oh, and the DRM and syncing issues have caused me zero grief so far (knocks on wood)
From what I have read I am one of the lucky ones I guess.

For the record though, I think they should do teh decent thing and remove the always online requirement so people who do not always have access to internet can play the game.