SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-10, 02:30 AM   #1
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default COMODO Internet Security, GRAND Version 4.0

and the long awaited Version 4.0 is now released and comes with sand boxing capability how I wish my cellphone is as protected as my desktop.

I saw a virus on a relative blackberry couple weeks ago

Anyway here's the new looks that accompany the new capabilities,

Now CIS comprises of several layer of security that offers the best overall protection for the end user namely:
The firewall, Anti Virus, a quieter Defense+ and now sand boxing. Saw some paid internet security being sold at a computer vendor couple weeks ago and I knew I was most probably better protected with CIS for free.
Old 03-04-10, 06:05 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Using Comodo Firewall myself, will check the new version out. Thanks for the update.
Old 03-04-10, 06:05 AM   #3
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

I always found Comodo buggy its antivirus was okay but the firewall would cause problems for me.

Might install this CIS on the old pc and see how she runs.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 06:12 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

I just found that my up-to-date version 3 of Firewall does not recognise that a version 4 is available, when looking for updates. The new version has to be downloaded manually.

I wonder if you can install that new version 4 above the existing version 3 (to keep the option and setting), or if the old version must be deinstalled first? Anyone knows?
Old 03-04-10, 06:40 AM   #5
Castout
Silent Hunter

@Skybird to install CIS version 4 a complete uninstallation of the previous version is required. Updating to version 4 from previous version is not possible at all.

There are 2 ways to download the new ver 4 CIS.

One through web installer that requires the user to be online throughout the download and installation process.

Second downloading the needed files for an offline installation. I prefer the second than the first option.

Visit their forum to download
http://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcom...ws-cis-b129.0/

The CIS is now as red as a red Ferrari
Old 03-04-10, 03:52 PM   #6
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

The best antivirus software out there is IMO....

A UNIX based OS.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 06:30 PM   #7
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Best AV out there - disconnect from the net and make sure your the only one with the keys to the Ops room.....

I went for a securty consult one time - fairly large company. The IT manager wanted a security guy - I took one look at the system and said well - I can guarantee no one from outside this building can get to your data - but its going to cost you $500 bucks - will take me about 30 second. Given the time frame I gave him - he called bull$hit on the spot. I said "Write the check" - and he did. I walked over - unplugged the incoming lines for his 2 t1's (main and failover) and he had almost had a heart attack. I told him your secure from the outside world. This was before wireless was in any kind of mainstream use. He laughed - plugged back in (as his cell and beeper started going off) and I ended up with them for a good little bit. I let him have the check back - I was young and foolish back then......

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 06:35 PM   #8
Castout
Silent Hunter

Of course no security software is invincible I'm aware of that.

A good decent one will still make me happy though especially when it's free!

@PeriscopeDepth: As for UNIX based OS well UNIX is ugly
I used UNIX for work about 9 years ago and it was ugly I couldn't imagine if they improved the OS. Perhaps you were referring to modified UNIX OS that I'm not aware of?
Old 03-04-10, 08:03 PM   #9
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

I am referring to UNIX compatible OSes, technically. They are largely built around standardized frameworks that have their roots in the original AT&T UNIX. The more popular among them include the many flavors of Linux, Solaris, BSD, and OS X.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 08:45 PM   #10
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Linux Ubuntu i don't even have an anti virus/firewall running even though the OS comes with (4) anti virus and (2) firewalls to choose from. But when im not running windows and in Ubuntu there simply is no need for security. Far more secured than windows could ever be.

Bottom line: Windows needs security

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 10:36 PM   #11
Castout
Silent Hunter

Lol I'm haven't had any exposure to other OS aside from Unix station 9 years ago and Windows. If it wasn't for gaming I would probably switch though

Anyway on the CIS version 4 again it seems there are reported problems with the sandbox so it's probably best to switch the sand box off. I also experienced stutter in games too while the sandbox was turned on though these supposed to be run outside the sandbox.
Kind of a blunder to me this version 4 is.

Edit: I've reverted back to ver 3.14 I found that CIS 4.0 put too much load on the CPU all the time.

Last edited by Castout; 03-05-10 at 01:00 AM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 04:41 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

I'm still on hold with v3.

I wonder to what degree the latest, newest firewall is really needed if many say that even the basic Windows firewall already does a decent job in a firewall'S basic functionality of filtering in- and outgoing traffic and program access to the web. Currently I am too lazy to do the reinstall and log all those many program profiles again, and to click those many alarms when it learns. The high load v4 puts on the system also is an argument against it, even more with an old system like mine. I also was not aware of the massive data collecting Commodo seems to start in your system when oyu have their software installed, I read it in their forum. Behavior like that definitely speaks against it.

I was satisfied with v3 over the past years, it reliably did the job it should done. but maybe it is time to find an alternative. That might be difficult. I had Norton loooong time ago, that was a desaster, and I tried Zonealarm, which worked well long time, but then caused my system occasional stutters and freezes. And I had two different versions of Sygate (was that the name?), both caused troubles.

Any ideas?
Old 03-05-10, 06:00 PM   #13
Castout
Silent Hunter

Try Agnitum

http://free.agnitum.com/

I used it for a short while. Still preferred CIS though but it's good enough for me

It's the firewall I'd probably use if COMODO wouldn't resolve their current version 4 blunder.
Old 03-22-10, 06:17 PM   #14
Castout
Silent Hunter

I just want people to know that I've given CIS 4.0 a second chance. I re downloaded the offline install file and installed it. I have no problem with heavy CPU loading. It's as good as CIS 3.0

I do however disable automatic running in sandbox.
Jolly good to me.
Old 03-22-10, 07:59 PM   #15
Skybird
Soaring