SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-02-09, 11:29 PM   #1
Peto
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Video of a new PC "platform"...

Check out the video. I've seen another that was actually better but this one shows the basics of the new pc.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18936536/

How long til holograms?

Old 05-03-09, 12:17 AM   #2
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

Will be way too expensive to be widespread..

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 08:46 AM   #3
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachstar View Post
Will be way too expensive to be widespread..
Back in 1987 I remember my college roommate got an Apple computer. It was in the neighborhood of $1500.00. In 1987 this was quite a chunk of change to drop on a computer. Much to expensive to be widespread. Look at computers today, a dime a dozen. Give it time and the expense will be way down and facilitate purchasing for all.

Check out the cost of this Apple in 1977:

http://oldcomputers.net/appleii.html

Check the cost now of this Apple in 1987:

http://oldcomputers.net/appleiigs.html

A good price drop and for a better set up. Give it time, the cost will be low eventually.
Old 05-03-09, 11:33 AM   #4
Peto
Ace of the Deep

When dual cores came out, they were too expensive too. 6 months later the price had dropped and now they are standard. Once these table-top units are used in commercial settings and people get to like them, the price will drop and you'll be able to put one in your home for ~$1000. My guess is it'll take 2-3 years.

Nothing moves faster than technology and computer innovation. In 10 years we'll be seeing products marketed that make today's gear look stone-age.

It's always good to keep in mind how much computers were supposed to simplify our lives. The reality is they just increased the amount of paper-work we have to do. The time saving has turned into more forms to sign and more convoluted rules (remember a car loan without computers? It didn't take any longer then than it does now.)

Computers should be for entertainment and scientific use. IMHO--if they continue to be used like they are now they'll be the death of us all. People trust their computers. I see it everyday when someone brings one in for repair and needs it back right away so they can do their banking. They've forgotten that they can drive 2 blocks down the street and go into an actual building with real people inside to do their finances.

When those people are replaced with computers because computers have become "more efficient" watch out. Our lives will be dictated by whoever writes the software that runs the machine.

I like computers--for gaming, writing, getting information and tossing my opinion in forums--but I still go to the bank myself and keep my finances off of my own computer. I've seen too many people go through months of hassle...

Regarding the original story of this post--when those systems come on the scene, be careful of what pics you have on your camera and where you lay your credit card. And if you have a flash drive on your keychain--don't put it on the table.

Yes--I'm slightly paranoid about the future of computers intrusion into our lives... I've been watching (and working with) the evolution since C64 and my views are based more on experience than conjecture.

Peto
Old 05-03-09, 11:27 PM   #5
Thomen
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 14

Quote:
updated 9:09 a.m. ET, Wed., May 30, 2007
Wonder how far they got in the last 2 years.

It works on large screens, as we have seen at CNN.
Thomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 06:54 AM   #6
Peto
Ace of the Deep

Yes. I used the old video because it's the only one I could find right now. There's a new one though that is recent and it's much more impressive. They're looking at commercial use now.

The CNN example is a good one. The new video I saw takes the technology a "couple" steps farther though. (Blast it! Where is that video! ).